Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Maps

9 years ago

I have an interesting dilemma.

I want my next story-game to include a map of the fantasy world it is taking place in which is accessible as a clickable item or some other way that the author can easily reference it. At the moment the map is saved onto a spreadsheet, how would I put this map into the story? The best way I can think of is to hand-draw the map, take a photo, save it into my pictures and then paste it onto the page that the map item links to but as I have all the drawing skills of a handicapped hippo is there any easier way I can do this?

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Maps

9 years ago

Photoshop.

Maps

9 years ago

Hmm my map photos are too big  for the site and if I shrink them so they have less than 550 pixels width and 600 pixels height (the site maximum) they just become a blur of colors and the cities, roads etc vanish, how do I get around this?

Maps

9 years ago

Pray to Crom.

I"m not sure you can, tbh.

Maps

9 years ago

Yeah, I've spent the last 4 hours trying every way of making maps including this

Ocean         Land                      

Ocean        Land                       

but it doesn't work and just looks stupid :P I should be able to make do without a map though, my world isn't too complicated and if EndMaster's different kingdoms in Eternal weren't too difficult to picture I'm sure I can make mine understandable too.......

Maps

9 years ago
Have you tried breaking the map into smaller parts?

Maps

9 years ago
To make the file smaller, you can use fewer colors and fewer details. Then, see about saving it in greyscale and lower resolution formats. If you want a super-nice photo-quality picture, you might be able to put it somewhere else on the Internet and display it using an external link or even an image tag. I'm not sure that you can do that inside the current setup, but you might have an item that has a "Use to display the map" that might be able to do that.

Maps

9 years ago

Thanks Ogre, I tried simplifying the map but I was still losing all the detail, I thought about creating the map elsewhere and having an external link but depending on the servers people are on (like library computers etc) the link might not work and I'm worried it'd piss those readers off too much if I'm writing about places they can't look up. I looked at the Help and Info section about an image tag/link but I'm not clever enough to figure out how to make it work. I'm making the story-game to reward intelligence and clever thinking so navigating without a map as long as I am clear in my writing will hopefully not be a major obstacle...

Maps

9 years ago

Photobucket. Upload your picture there, then link it on the page the item shows. No image size requirements on stuff like that, and you save Alexp storage space. It's pretty gr8

Maps

9 years ago

Thanks Aman, I'll give that a shot :)

Maps

9 years ago

http://donjon.bin.sh/world/

It generats land masses. You can edit it so you have center landmarks available on it. Or you can use that as a template and 'aquire' CC3 from a site. pm me and i'll tell you how. 

Maps

9 years ago

That donjon site is excellent, if only there was a way I could edit a map in detail, I already have a 1000x1000 miles map of my world drawn on paper but I want to create a copy of it online and have it accessible by a link in my story, do you know where I could do that? Also what is CC3?

Maps

9 years ago

Campaign Cartographer 3