Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago
Okay, I know this might sound like a dumb question... But I can't think straight at the moment after rewriting basically my whole story from scratch. (It's now roughly 40 pages...) Anyways, I just noticed I have two links going to the same page. It's the start of the next chapter, but the contents of the page vary greatly depending which previous page you came from... Do I need to make it two seperate pages? Or can I add a script for different text on the page? Ugh.. see? I can't even explain it properly. Maybe I should just sleep on it? Smh.

Did anyone even understand that at all? (Sigh. I'm not to cry, it's so frustrating!)

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago
If I understand correctly...

You have two separate pages that are both going to the first page of Chapter X
But the on-page text needs to be different for each page

If that's the case, you should be able to use scripting to change the text, depending on which link the reader came from. As for what that script is, you'll need someone better at scripting than me. I think Kiel, Killa, Brad, James and nm are all pretty good with it.

If that's not the case... try rephrasing the question?

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago
No, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks, Bucky!

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago

Yeah, two options: have two separate pages and use the $DEST variable to choose between them, or use a page script to change the $PAGETEXT of that chapter's first page.

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago
So, basically as both pages are rather long, I should use two separate pages and use the $DEST variable? Correct?

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago

Yeah.

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago
Kay... thanks, Brad!

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago

Yeah, $DEST is really the only practical way to move between chapters.

There's nothing stopping you from putting a lot of material into $PAGETEXT of course, but there's not much reason not to have separate pages if they're vastly different. 

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago
Thanks. I actually just ending up using a variable event to make one of the pages go to another page in that chapter. I was half asleep and totally just zoned out when I posted that. Smh

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago

If all you need is to change a small amount of text, you can use %%VARIABLE%=%NUMBER%Text goes here%%

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago

Meh. Depends on your preference. Either way is fine, and neither is faster than the other. But, really, if there's not too much of a change, I would recommend you use a variable to check which links you came from, and use on page variable tricks to show the small changes. 

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago
Thanks for these suggestions... I will stick with what I have though, as its a lot of text... If you came from one page, the character is running in a blind panic lol and the other was if you had actually chosen to go that way, not being forced into it.

Ugh... Help anyone?

8 years ago

Yeah, you don't need scripting for everything.