Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Sidescreening in storygames

7 years ago

Alright, this one's out there so I won't mind if it's not possible.

Is it possible to have a second column of text content, independent of the main text box on the screen? I'll make a crude mockup

Main Page Content Side Page
Main Story 'News 1'
Link to next action 'News 2'

Design concept: You take decisions in the left and see outcomes in the right (example: political decisions on left - such as build hospitals or buy a yacht for yourself with government money - leading to an article on worse treatment in hospitals as backlogs rise in the News 1 slot, and say a second article on yacht club being happy to see president drop by every day in the News 2 slot)

If it's possible by manageable illusion (e.g. Main Page 1 and Side New items 1 and 3 are a premade template, and when a decision is taken, a prebaked page of that kind is summoned), that'd be fine too, if mathematically a gigantic chore to make. 

Reason for ask: Considering using this to make an election game or something where the info is responsive to your actions (most games I've played have had the decision making on the main page, and stats/outcomes via hyperlink, which is clumsy to the point of being unenjoyable)

7 years ago
Using scripting and some html sure, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. You'd have to do more scripting than it'd likely be worth doing though.

7 years ago
Are you trying to go outside the bounds of the storygame? In other words, do you want the storygame functions to continue in the left side, so that readers can click the next action and see the story progress on the left side while actions in the right pane continue independent of that action?

If so, good luck. It might be possible, but the amount of scripting would be insane. Instead, you could create that effect by using HTML tables on your pages. It might mean some copying and pasting (ok, a lot), but the illusion might actually be easier to create than the reality.

7 years ago

Alright, wanted to see if it was possible to build mechanics similar to Killing time at lightspeed (the game)

Html tables sounds like the most reasonable method