Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Bullet points and background

6 years ago

Does anybody know how to get rid of the bulletpoints before the options on pages and also how to change the background colour of pages? I considered going into the source and copy and pasting the link scripts into $PAGETEXT:= $PAGETEXT + "...", getting rid of the <li> function or whatever it is that causes them, and changing the double quotation marks to single ones inside the script, but I'm hoping there's an easier way. Also, I'm pretty sure that still leaves the 'no links on this page' sentence on screen, which screws up spacing and doesn't look good. As for the background, I tried to use bgcolor, but that didn't work.

6 years ago

Fortunately, the solution isn't that drastic. All you need is some CSS.

$PAGETEXT := "<style>

</style>" + $PAGETEXT

That's the basis of what you'd put on a page script, and then you put your CSS in between your style tags. Here's a commented example of what you might put in there:

body {
   background-color: beige; /* Sets the background color to the named color "beige" */
}

ul {
   list-style-type: none; /* Removes bullet points on list elements */
   padding-left: 0; /* Removes indentation on list elements */
}

Also, if you ever do find yourself needing to hide the "no links" thing, you can just put a single link on the page with an impossible restriction. Neither the link nor "no links" will show up.

6 years ago

Perfect! How do you know to use CSS instead of HTML and can you use any other type of coding in the A.E? 

Ah I hadn't thought of that! I even tried adding a link and making the text transparent, but had the same problem with the bullet point staying black. Thanks again Bradin:)

EDIT: Of all of the colours... beige...

6 years ago

Pretty much, any time you're trying to change how something looks, use CSS. Strictly speaking, HTML should only ever be used to define the content and metadata of a document, which is why things like bgcolor are discouraged nowadays. You can use JS in the AE, too, but it doesn't really mesh with the system well so there isn't too much you can do with it.