Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago

I think I got the basics down. But if I were to do something like this, how would I go about it? 
The first number is how much energy you have stored. The second number is how much you're using per page. You can add or subtract one energy level at a time, and you can only use energy from one item at a time. 
So you'd click on a plus or minus, but you could only alter a level more or less, and you can do that for any number of energies for a specifac item. Does this make sense?

Hat (misc)

40    4   element  +  -
35    5   Aim         +  -
50    0   Heat       +  -
47    2   Senses   +  -
50    0   Breath     +  - 

Right glove (physical powers)

50    0   Speed     +  -
50    0   Strength  +  -
50    0   Precision +  -
50    0   Weight     +  -
50    0   Balance   +  -

Left Glove (mental powers)

50    0   Complexity+  -
50    0   Mood         +  -
50    0   Knowledge +  -
50    0   Willpower   +  -
50    0   Speed        +  -

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
If the add and subtract links were on separate lines, all you'd need is simple link scripts that looped back to that same page. (with restrictions in place to make sure they couldn't go into the negatives or over whatever max you have in mind.)

Make sure you have variables set to advanced is the main thing, then check some of the articles on scripting, they explain it better than I could.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago

I have a page looping back to itself, setup sorta like the Homo Perfectus dna manipulation thing. 
How do you have it go to 'previous page' without having to click it several times to get back to the story?

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
Can't get into detail right now but one of the articles on random events covers this. I believe the one on making a codex too. Basically you just make a variable that stores the page number the player was on before they start messing with the items.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago

Alright, cool. Thank you!

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
Clicking 'previous page' wouldn't work anyway because it would undo whatever stat changes the reader chooses.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
Would this all be on one page? I'd set the links up to link back to the same page and have each link change the variable values. Then add a link for when the reader is done. Processing and checking for validity can be done in the script for the page itself.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
So, are you asking how to affect the stats of items like you would a character stat sheet or something?

There's no easy way of doing this. You'd probably just have to make one page with a whole bunch of links to accomplish this.

Or, to save on the number of links you could make a two page solution, where the first page has the list of items you can affect, and the second page populates the links for that item dynamically depending on which item you choose.

I can explain more in detail if you want, but either way it's not going to be quick or easy.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
Or the 'items' could exist only as variables. Makes tracking them and their states much, much simpler.

I didn't even click to him talking about a real inventory system. I guess I still don't understand why anyone bothers with items beyond something for organization like a codex.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
I use items as cards in my next storygame. Items can be useful, it's just most storygames don't have a use for them.

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
Making items variables can certainly be easier -- but when you give the reader an item, that does give them more options and has more potential for things happening at strange times!

Items and Variables?

6 years ago

I mean, it'll all be one page, and you can only add or subtract one point per story page you experience. So looping links back to the same page does seem quite simple, but I'm a little confused on how to add the restriction on that. 
ie: You click on the 'element' plus sign. It'll loop back to the same page, but the player can click it again and again. How do you limit it to only one click per story page? 

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
Click on that stop sign just to the left of the link!

Items and Variables?

6 years ago
^ What Ogre said, but I just thought I'd add that if you can't see the 'stop' sign then you'll need to change the storygame settings to advanced editor (basic doesn't have restrictions iirc).