Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Variable problem

6 years ago

So I've been working on this game for about 7 hours straight, no problems whatsoever. I needed to add a variable in for an event and suddenly all my previous links don't work. It's sorta like a 3 strike in your out kind of thing. I added it to one link only, yet when I start up the preview and click the first link it immediately takes you to the page below three strikes. I've already established a page for my options but it seems to override all that. It does this for all three options I have listed and the worst part about it is after you've clicked well over 3 it still takes you back to the exact same page...What am I doing wrong?

Maybe needed Info: Variable is set at advanced (I've tried going to basic thinking I was out of my league but the problem occurred there too) and scripting is disabled (always.) For the event page, you get taken back by " the previous link" so it's not something I personally picked.

I used to have the event page take you to a whole new chapter, figuring maybe I'm stretching things too far but nope even when moved to the same page as everything else it still messes up. I've deleted various links, and a whole chapter just to redo it all but it still happens. However, when I delete the variable everything goes back to being normal.

Variable Info:

Min. Value: 0/ Max. Value: 3/ Start Value: 0

If value goes above (2) then go to page XYZ

If value goes below (3) then go to page XYZ

Display on all page left unchecked

What am I doing wrong??? :(

Variable problem

6 years ago
Which game?

Variable problem

6 years ago

Does it matter? It's a Doctor Who short to answer your question.

[Edit: Nevermind this problem has been solved!]

Variable problem

6 years ago
If your variable starts at 0 it already is below 3, so that would execute right away. Was that your intention?

EDIT: After re-reading your post it seems that wasn't your intention.

"It's sorta like a 3 strike in your out kind of thing."

Then just make the condition "Above 2" only. No need for the below 3 part.

Variable problem

6 years ago

Thanks for that, but it's still happening and I think I now see what the real problem is.

Question, does every variable apply to every link? Because I thought you had to add a variable to a specific link for it to be of use. Which is what I did, yet it happens for every link I pick... do you have any idea on how to fix that?

[EDIT: Nevermind I'm a complete idiot it works now, I've just been clicking the wrong link this whole time...still thanks for the help really appreciate it! I feel so stupid sorry for wasting your time.]

Variable problem

6 years ago

Okay nvm it's doing it again...I've done all that you said but now the problem seems to be that it can't stop taking you to the page when your 3 strikes are up...The link is disabled afterwards and now when  you click on the other options they won't work but it's quite the opposite when you don't click the 3 link a third time. Like if you hadn't gone pass strike 3 the other links work fine...but when you do...they don't.

Variable problem

6 years ago
Because that's how it functions. Change the variable to a different amount once they hit that page and you're fine.

Variable problem

6 years ago

How does that work?

Variable problem

6 years ago

Okay, I got it, thanks for the hint sir.

The problem has officially been solved!