Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago

So, I'm in the process of coding the stats for Brothers in Arms. The player can either input their stats from the first game, or make a character from scratch, with a few choices to determine what their stats are. It all seems to be working fine the first time I test it... But I've added an option that if you're not happy with your stats, you can reset the game and try it again... This is where it gets weird.

If I choose to reset the game, some of the variables stat acting up. Basically, any variable that doesn't start out as a 0 at the beginning of the game will change to a 0 when you reset the game... For example, the variable that tracks the character's age is set to 12, but if you reset the game, it'll change to 0... What's up with that? (Note: This doesn't happen if I press the "Reset Game" button at the top of the screen. It only happens if I click a link that resets the game.)

Reset is being weird

4 years ago

This sounds annoying... good luck with it!

Reset is being weird

4 years ago
Not gonna try to test anything out from mobile, and I've never used the reset link. Probably simplest to just make a link back to the character creation page and use it to set the necessary variables manually.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago
I mean... you could just reset it yourself? Use a script and just plug in all the variables with the scores that should be the default. You dont have a large amount of them.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago
Still indicates a bug with Reset though so put that on your list I guess.

e: tested, yep it's bugged. If it can't be fixed it might as well be removed so people just know to do it manually, since I can't see much use for 'set ALL variables to zero' even if that were indicated in the wording somehow.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago

... Well, that's incredibly annoying, since I have reset game buttons in my first game aswell. >.<

Reset is being weird

4 years ago
In the first one it'd only be an issue until they created the character again, right? Seems like someone would've mentioned it by now if it was otherwise causing problems.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago

What I'm guessing it that nobody actually uses the reset links, and instead just go back and change their choices so that they don't die... But if somebody did use a reset link, then they wouldn't have any gifts to give their friends, since they start off as a 1. Not sure if I have any other variables that aren't set to 0 at the beginning though. Those are the only ones I can think of.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago
Remind me about this tomorrow and I'll just go in and put a script.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago

Thank you! ^_^

Reset is being weird

4 years ago

Just played through Innocence Lost and can confirm that the same thing happens when you use a reset link. The age changes to 0 and Alexius's name doesn't show up in the list of relationships. sad

Reset is being weird

4 years ago
To be fair, if your age was 0 you wouldn't have any relationships.

Reset is being weird

4 years ago

Very true. I mean, Alexius hasn't even been born yet. cheeky