Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Variable Page That Only Appears Once?

3 years ago
So I have a Variable in my game where once enough relationships points have been achieved the player will be sent to a page that says "Your Relationship with X has Improved," I only want this text to appear once and not interfere with the game again. How would I go about doing this? I'm new to all of this and basic when it comes to everything such as Scripts and Variables. Help would be much appreciate :)

3 years ago
Easiest thing would be just to set the variable up to have it send them to that page automatically once the total is reached, then provide a Go Back link. Nothing should be blocking progress like you mentioned in your other thread unless you set up a link restriction to do that.

3 years ago
Ok. I get it now, thank you

3 years ago
Make sure you have enabled Advanced Scripting; Set a Global Script -

IF %VARIABLE > 100 THEN
BEGIN
IF %ONCEONLY < 1 THEN
BEGIN
%ONCEONLY := 1
$DEST := @P200
END
END

%VARIABLE is the Relationship Score; 100 is whatever you want to set the trigger to; %ONCEONLY ensures it is only run once; 200 is whatever page you want it to go to when triggered.

3 years ago
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention actually raising the variable by 1 as they leave that page.

Global script is how I'd have handled it but the setting there when you create the variable itself seemed more straightforward for a noob.

3 years ago
Yeah, I checked that out too, but the Variable Events section of Variables only allows Greater or Less Than Comparisons, which makes it useless for this particular issue.

3 years ago
Oh seriously? That seems like a weird oversight.

Guess it shows how often I bother looking at the variable settings.

3 years ago
Perfect, just what I needed. Thank you!! :)