WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Message

Although it's highly unlikely you will find them, post reports about problems or bugs in here.

Weird Writing Glitch

5 months ago

Hey, guys. I've been around this place a few times, and really grown to love it. I've written a few stories, which received mostly positive feedback. This is an awesome site.

Saying that, I've noticed a weird bug that happens while I'm writing. The little bar that shows you where you're tying will move around. Like, in the middle of a word. It makes this sentence:

Brad looked around, surprised that no one had done anything to stop the murderer.

Look like this:

Brad looked around, sur that no one had doprisedne anything to stop the murderer.

I'm sure it's not my own fault, as I watch the screen when I type. I'm nowhere near the trackpad, and it just teleports my words to some random spot on the page. Usually, I spot it before it causes a problem, but now I'm paranoid that I'm gonna publish a story that has screwed up pages that make no sense (see above). Any thoughts on this?

Weird Writing Glitch

5 months ago

The spell check feature may have a bug which causes it to move the cursor to a detected word. You could try disabling SCAYT to see if that fixes things.

Weird Writing Glitch

5 months ago
I always thought it was more just it lagging because it's not a very optimized spellchecker. It literally seems to just ignore your input for a few seconds every once in a while.

Either way, if you disable rich text editor under my stuff > profile, it fixes the issue.

Weird Writing Glitch

5 months ago

Thanks so much!

Weird Writing Glitch

5 months ago
The RTE is just so, so bad. HTML makes using the forums annoying though. I'm hoping that's something JJJ might be able to look into next time he returns.

@ultraoverlord I'd highly recommend doing your writing in an actual writing program and just pasting it over to the site. That gives you a baxjup as you go which you'll want to have anyway, and prevents you possibly losing anything to site glitches.