WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Message

Although it's highly unlikely you will find them, post reports about problems or bugs in here.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Over the last few days the site has been slowing way down, for me, at random. Often timing out.

This is probably a known issue, I remember it being discussed in 2012. Is it worse now?
Do we know what's causing it?

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

Yeah, I don't think in my time here I've ever experienced the site loading so slowly or getting errors so often. I waited nine minutes for my PMs to load.

E: And I just had to wait four minutes for this post to send.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
It took more than an hour for me to be able to reload the site after starting this thread.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

Huh. It seems it's worse for you. For me and Comic the loading takes no less than twenty minutes. 

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

It’s been sucking in general on and off for the past two days. I ended up not really logging on much yesterday since it was really bad.

Seems to be working well right now. Not sure if the site finally corrected itself, or its just having a good moment.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

Yeah, it seems better now. Hopefully it stays that way. Yesterday it ran perfectly for a few hours, but then slowed down again, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing were happening right now.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

I've been having the same problem actually! It's very on and off for me. I'll click on any one thing and it'll load for about 30 mins or so and then just time out. So much so it's been extremely difficult for me to work on any of my storygames, which is very frustrating.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Me too. Last week really.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

I've been getting a ton of alerts about it; I dunno what the issue is specifically, but I "reindexed the database", which might really help out. Fingers crossed...

Unicorn Sighting

one year ago
Hi Alex! We were assuming it was some server thing but, last I heard anyway your other site was on the same one so we figured you did know and were doing what you could to fix it.

It'd actually been better the past few days before getting weird again yesterday, hopefully what you did works out though.

Anyway, always great to have you stop by! Can you please release JJJ from wherever you're holding him prisoner while you're at it, there's a couple of bugs and stuff he was going to fix before you slipped him that roofie last year.

Unicorn Sighting

one year ago
Pretty sure ThreeJay decided to take up a career as a vigilante superhero or something.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
o_o

hey, thanks.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Is someone stealing our power to bitcoin mine or something?

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
@alexp

['\r\n\t\t\t\t11\r\n\t\t\t\twins\r\n\t\t\t\t/\r\n\t\t\t\t9\r\n\t\t\t\tlosses\r\n\t\t\t']

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

It was running pretty good after Alex arrived, then just a moment ago it started slowing down again. Didn't get an service unavailable error though, so hopefully it was just the "normal" clog that happens occasionally to the site.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
I have noticed an improvement. My end also slowed down just a moment ago.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
For me it was good most of yesterday and then in the evening (right in the middle of a bunch of scripting naturally) I kept running into these little two to five minute periods when it wouldn't load at all, then fix itself for five minutes and repeat. Really annoying.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
This is killing me because I have to test scripting on every single page for what I'm trying to do. I can't just write it offsite because I'm not familiar enough with the scripting here to know for certain what I'm trying to do is going to work, or what it will look like.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
@BradinDvorak cysfiddle plug

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Holy shit. Has BradinDvorak been commended for that?

I had no idea it existed.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
He's been made fun of for it a few times on the discord (way back when he made it) because it has generally been without use to anyone. His argument for its use is it has syntax highlighting which is nifty.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
CHOP CHOP somebody ought to get on that!

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

The only other things I can think of is if you want to test a piece of code with a little less delay or share a snippet of code with people without having to create a dummy storygame.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Me neither, it looks pretty useful.

There's no actual way to commend him for it though. I mean I suppose they could give him one single commendation for a post in this thread by that's all they're able to do.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Oh, I see. What a shame. He does already have that blue trophy though. That has to count for something.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Pretty sure BD could just give himself as many commendations and points as he likes with his scripting black magic.

Thankfully, he is but a benevolent, humble dragon

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

Checked recently and got the service unavailable error again.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
I was trying to play a game tonight and service abruptly became unavailable.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Me too. It was odd. Has anyone noticed a specific time? I'm usually on in the late or AM hours US time, and I've had a lot of issues the last few weeks, but closing it didn't change my CPU usage in Task Manager (if that matters- one website I was on had a similar problem and it was because someone was bitcoin mining with it, but it came with a huge CPU % usage when you were at the site. As far as I can tell, no such problem here).

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
It tends to croak out about 1am for me, among other times as well!

US Central for me.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
I've had no problems at all the last few days but I'm never on late at night so maybe it really is hitting around a specific time now.

At least that's better than completely randomly or the thing it was doing before where it would go out for about two minutes out of every five.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

There's a certain early 2000's charm to this slowness. 

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

I've returned to say; the site is still extremely slow for me, no matter how many times i reset my computer or such on such on. It took about 10 minutes for me to even load the forums and it's basically impossible for me to even work on my storygames at this point.

So now I've jsut given up and am looking for a new site to work on my storygames, which is really a big disappointment to me because I very much liked how this was set up, or at least it was convienent for me. But I don't know how to fix this problem and it's very hard to work around, especially when I don't have the time to sit there and wait for it to save my work for 10 minutes.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

The problem is not on your end, so resetting your computer wouldn't work either way. It's a shame you're leaving though. Wouldn't typing your story in a different program (e.g. Word), and then just copying it page by page to CYS be a workable solution at this point?

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

That would help for the writing end but my storygames tend to be a lot of game-focused as well, needing a lot of variables and items. And having to wait to load the variables, items and other pages for so long. Everything takes time to load, and half the time it doesn't load properly and i have to reload the page.

But I will still try to put the effort in to uploading any finished storygames I have here. But I'll probably need to work on the storygame itself off the website. Which is annoying.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Waiting for it to load doesn't do any good. If it's not loading immediately then you know the server is out so you can just hit escape and go do something in another tab for two to five minutes and then come back and check if it's fixed. The outages rarely last longer than that, they just tend to hit in clusters.

Annoying and not at all ideal, yes, but not impossible to work around. Although I wish Alex could update us on how the situation is going on his end.

Hoping you'll at least check back in the future when it's fixed.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
It seemed to me that it had been getting better in the past week, though still not completely fixed. I'm finding that the outages appear to be much shorter and less frequent than before, but still present now and then.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Me too. There was a month and a half where it seemed to be down for hours. Now it's just a few minutes at a time every now and then.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Not really related but if you go to Chanbot's profile there's a link to the Discord, it's a good way to kill a few minutes if you're just tabbed out waiting on the server to fix itself.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago

Or you could just go register as a sex offender and be done with it.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
He'll probably just have his name changed to something penis related, someone will put an icon of a cat next to something he says and other people will click the little up arrow next to it, then at some point Ford will notice he's there after forgetting about him and ban him for no particular reason.

I "get" Discord culture now, I know all about it.

Site Running Very Slowly

one year ago
Also, emoji spam instead of words.