WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Message

Although it's highly unlikely you will find them, post reports about problems or bugs in here.

Input string was not in a correct format.

5 days ago

New to the site and I'm creating my first story - so I know  I have a lot to learn, but I think this is an issue with the system.

First page works fine, second  page works fine, but any link on the second page results in an error.  I have links with some logic built in and a link that does nothing but go to the next page.  Error is the same regardless.  I've tried changing the name of the target page as well as the content of the target page.  Same issue each time:

Line 45: Line 46: //must be, load storystate

Line 47: State = StoryState.CreateFromString(Request.Form["SS"]);

Line 48:

Line 49: //determine action

[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.] System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) +14503212 System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) +172 System.Convert.ToInt32(String value) +60 ChooseYourStory.Stories.StoryState.LoadFromString(String encodedSaveString) in C:\ProgramData\InedoAgent\BuildMaster\Temp\_E67973\Src\ChooseYourStory\Stories\StoryState_ToFromString.cs:135 ChooseYourStory.Stories.StoryState.CreateFromString(String storyState) in C:\ProgramData\InedoAgent\BuildMaster\Temp\_E67973\Src\ChooseYourStory\Stories\StoryState.cs:63 ASP.story_viewer_default_aspx.OnLoad(EventArgs e) in c:\Websites\ChooseYourStory\ChooseYourStory.com\Story\Viewer\Default.aspx:47 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +68 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3785

4 days ago

Did a bit of debugging on the above issue.  It happens when I leaving a page that contains variable text.

e.g. %%Late%<=%-1%This is the text displayed if you packed the night before.  You also get an additional option to leave early.%%

According to http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=3850, that appears to be the correct format, unless I'm just missing something....

4 days ago
Do you have a space after -1? That may be it.

Also, it may be the double oprator <= try < instead.

4 days ago

Took a while, I tried all options of Space after the one, no spaces, multiple lines, only positive values, simple logic, sacrificed a small chicken, etc....

It came down to the editor being too helpful when I created the page.  Even though they were not visible, it added extra spans in between the different pieces of logic.  I'm guessing the interpreter barfed on what it perceived as incomplete logic statements.

So you might want to update your article (related to using Variables in pages) to suggest users check the source of the page if they start acting strange.  Also, If you ever want a second set of eyes to look at the sourcecode, let me know.  It's been a few years since I've done web/Ui work, but I live in the c# world at my job.

4 days ago
Are you using the rich text editor? This is the source of most glitches with the editor.

4 days ago
Oh yeah, ditch the RTE! On Page Scripting can't interpret the coded spaces and symbols.

For example, you may think you have a "<" when in reality you have a "& lt" (no space) which will blow it all up.

4 days ago

Well, just so I'm clear, what is the other option instead of RTE?  Creating in < source > mode?  I've downloaded the CYSE(for chrome) and It doesn't make the editor appear any different as far as I can tell.

4 days ago
You just uncheck the rich text editor in your profile. All it amounts to is needing to use html for bold and italics tags in your text now and then unless you're doing anything especially fancy. Rich text adds in garbage invisible characters the way MSWord does that can break scripting though and I have no idea why it's checked by default.

If you plan to use the forum a lot it might be worthwhile looking up how to post links and images with html as well. (And you'll need break line tags for your paragraphs if you're using html in a post, but again that's only a quirk of the forum and nothing you need to worry about when writing a game.)

4 days ago

Thanks!  That is much better!

No stranger to html, so I should be able to get by.

Thanks again.

4 days ago
You might need to log out and in again for it to kick in.

Oh, and if you used tags for spacing in your post there, just fyi it's unnecessary unless the post also contains some other html like italics or whatever.