Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago

Hello I'm bad at remembering days of the week. Next prompt is on Friday, and I'll set a reminder this time.

Rules:

1. Pick one of the prompts and write about it for no more than 20 minutes. You can write for longer if you want, but only words written during the 20 minutes count towards your total, so mark where you ran out of time.

2. You will be graded on wordcount and overall coherence. You will not be graded on quality, so write as fast as you can while still producing something that makes sense and would be salvageable with cleanup. It doesn't have to have an ending or form a complete story, but it should at least read like an excerpt from a longer work.

3. When you're done, post your wordcount. Posting your story is optional. We understand it will be terrible.

4. You may go back and work on previous days if you missed them.

5. You may write fanfiction if your heart desires.

Prompt #1: Mars colonists launch a rebellion.

Prompt #2: I'm too lazy to find a picture today, so I'm just going to link the painting my avatar is from, it's totally a prompt ok

@WouldntItBeNice @Steve24833 @JJJ-thebanisher @Seto @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar @Mayana @Zulutrader @MasonJarGuzzi @Ogre11 @malkalack @Charaxes @Raven47

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago

Prompt #1

Time started: 6:30 AM (I know it's too early)

Phobos, holder of the grip, stood over a red dune of sand. Well, that's what the brain heads told him it was. He overlooked the entire Scorpion facility, which mass produced weapons for the entire Red Fleet. There were few other factories, but this one was the best. As a child, Phobos had been named after one of Mars' moons. He found it quite snug to literally become one of the most powerful Martian man. He was born not far from this city, in a small colony. Come to think of it, it was disgusting compared to this rich life. How could he had lived that? Phobos pushing away the thought, replacing it with another one: one of complete content.

Lucifer walked among his people, the Colony of 113022. He had enough of it. The Majors and Ultras living in huge luxurious dwellings really.....what's the word? Oh yeah, pissed him off. The nearby facility, the Scorpion Forge, had been draining many resources close to 113022, AND even taking resources from its inhabitants. Lucifer hated Mars. His mother had once lived on Earth. She told stories about the seemingly wonderful place. Massive creatures she called elephants, loyal companions known as dogs, and these strangely beautiful things she called plants. His dad was killed on a spaceship to the ruins of Earth. But he was killed instantly in its atmosphere. Earth is inhabitable now. All thanks to some stupid war. The losing side was thrown into Oblivion, and the winning side toppled leadership of the colony planets, including Mars. The Majors and Ultras discarded the Minor colonies and set up a Cabal to keep them in place.

But Lucifer was part of the Rebellion. He would stop at nothing to tear free of the Red Fleet. The Rebels, who called them self the Broken Bonds, sent him on a mission to destroy th Scorpion facility. But first he would travel to another colony called Colony 34833. The mayor was named Steve, and he would give Lucifer the equipment needed for the job. Lucifer exited the Oyxygen Dome, and set a massive helmet on his forehead. This would give him enough oxygen to go there, to the facility, and back. 

After parking his speeder, he walked into the Colony. Everything was in ruins. Fire burned down buildings, colonists screamed in terror, and a crack was beginning to open up on the ceiling. What happened here? Was the first thing on his mind. But he ignored it and searched for the mayor. He found his house, which was guarded by three Enforcers. One dragged his bloody corpse, and the others held C-14 Gauss Rifles. Well, so much for that plan. Lucifer hid away, and found a little girl running up to him.

"Where are your parents?" That was the first thing he wondered, and asked.

"You see him....over there." She points to the Enforcers. "But daddy told me to give you this." You could tell she's been crying. She holds out a small package. 

Lucifer takes it calmly, and opens it up. It's more powerful than he thought. Three bombs lay inside, each holding a dozen nanodrones that could tear up and destroy Scorpion once and forever. 

"Thank you." He says.

The girl blushes. "Your welcome."

Lucifer begins to walk towards his speeder. "Where's your mother?"

"She's hiding in a secret shelter. But it's okay. They won't suspect two girls."

He take this into mind. The Mars leader barely cared for its inhabitants, and less so it's women. But this is just another reason Lucifer should destroy its facility.

It's their hope for redemption.

Time ended: 6:50 AM

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago

Word count: 612

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago
I know it's far to late, but still, I wrote mine. Or at least tried, I didn't get much done and what I did do was so terrible the angels would cry.
Word count: 449

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago

Can I join in? Just this once?

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago
The point of those writing prompts is that everyone can write them if they feel like it, whenever they want, I believe. So, yes, you can join in. The list of tagged people is only the people that participated at least once, not the only people that can join.
Good luck with your writing.

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago

Yes, they're open to everyone. By all means write a response.

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago

Started: 4:52 PM

"Theo! Theo, get up! They're leaving us!" Macy yells into my ear, jolting me awake from my rather uncomfortable bed.

"Wha-?" I ask in confusion, still half-asleep.

"The president! He's leaving us right now! Look!" She pointed out the glass encasement out into the barren orange wasteland- Mars. And bursting into the sky with a plume of smoke following it, was the only spacecraft on this planet. "The President's on that ship! Him and his flunkies are abandoning the Mars Mission!"

The Mars Mission was a mission set into effect in the late 2030's, place men on the moon for an extended amount of time for the betterment of science and to look for a way to reliviate overpopulation on Earth. It was a subject of mass controversy, but now, in the year 2048, the world has better things to worry about than the million people living on Mars.

But things have gone downhill drastically since I've moved here. I came early on, almost 12 years ago, and ever since, the standard of living has dropped, as has the rations that are being shipped yearly into the colony. Space has become more compacted, with more people coming to live on Mars- as if it were a tourist destination!

The many people living here have no way back home- that's part of the contract- the only way back home was if an unanimous decision made by the government to extract all life from Mars and abandon the mission.

It seems, now, though, as the spacecraft leaves behind without any prior warning, that the government is abandoning the mission, and leaving everyone here.

I race out of your room and into the hallway, followed by my roommate, Macy, where colonists everywhere are starting to panic. "I knew we should've done something sooner!" A man with a mohawk was yelling, slamming his fist in the wall. "I knew the slimeballs were gonna pull something!"

I race to the control center, like the town hall of sorts, racing through the small compacted hallways painted a drab grey, like a mouse in a maze, to the center of the space station.

There, people are packed like sardines, screaming and shouting at the armed guards who are trying to hold people back. The second-in-command of the Mars Mission, Vice President Keller, was standing on the large stage shouting into a microphone. "They're coming back! Do not be alarmed, everybody!"

I don't buy that story, as usually anytime a spacecraft is coming or going to and from Mars, the scientists are the first to know, and I have heard nothing about this particular departure.

I push myself through the crowd, Macy at my heels. "What's going to happen to us?" She's asking, looking quite worried.

"I don't know yet. I'm gonna try and get to the bottom of this." I tell her.

As I push my way through the crowd to the front, a flying elbow catches me in the face, immediately making my nose bleed. The man was a large brute, muscles full of veins and testosterone. "Move, geek!"

"Fuck off!" I give him the finger, and he doesn't take to kindly to that. He starts coming for me, and I try to evade into the crowd. The armed guards ahead are shouting at the brute, trying to cool him down.

I duck behind this fat man (how can he be fat when the rations are so low?) and the guards start shooting at the brutish man. I catch a glimpse of a bullet catching the guy in the face, and he crumples.

The shooting gets more people riled up, and it turned into a full-fledged riot in no time, colonists going for the guards and the guards shooting into the crowd.

Macy, still right behind me, whimpers in fear as I take her hand and drag her through the chaos.

I finally reach my destination, a small door at the far northwest wall. There, blood spatters the door, but no-one is paying attention to me or Macy.

Inside the door, is the scientist's control room. Cameras analyze every single spot on Mars in a giant computer display room. Only certified personale are allowed, and as I opened the door slowly, a man was standing over the control panels typing away. Behind the giant computer screen is a plane view of outside mars, and the spacecraft taking off into space.

The door opens and catches the attention of the man, who turns and pulls a pistol from his side and points it dead at me.

"Get out of here! Certified personale only!" The man shouts. As I hear his voice, I recognize this man as Harris, a fellow scientist who has never said a bad word about the government... which is rare for any colonist to be that way. He of asian descent with black hair.

"Harris! It's me! Theo!" I shout, holding my hands in the air.

"No, get out of here Theo!" Harris shouts, waving his gun. "You aren't going to stop this now. the Mars Mission has to end!"

"Why? What's going on?" I ask, confused as fuck.

(I RAN OUT OF TIME HERE)

"America! Always so concerned about 'Manifest Destiny!' Fuck that. It's time for the rest of the world to get their share." He says through gritted teeth. "The rest of the world decided to be rid of this colony completely. The president caught word and fled like a coward!"

Suddenly a face appeared on the computer screen, and it's Mars President Carl Cooper stands there, with a smug expression on his face. "Everybody in the Mars Station calm down, it's okay! We will be back, I have simply evacuated myself from the Mars Mission. It is nothing political, or-"

At that very moment Harris slams his hand on a button, and the spacecraft explodes with a blinding light in the sky, cutting the communication off.

"The President is no more." Harris smiled at the sky.

I took this opportunity to grab Harris' gun and try to wrench it from his hand, but he goes erratic and shoots the gun three times before it comes free and I turn the gun on him.

Behind me, I heard Macy collapse. I looked down and saw she had three gunshot wounds to her chest. I am shocked, and I immediately aim the gun at Harris' head.

"There's no point in killing me. Everybody in this space station is already dead. The nuke... it's on the-"

I pull the trigger, and Harris dies in a gory explosion of his brains.

I sit in the seat, examining the Mars landscapes. And in the distance in the sky, a fiery comet seemed to be headed directly for me.

I sat back, and found a cigarette in Harris' pocket. I lit it with his lighter, too. I put my feet up, and watched death come for me.

"Goodbye, Mars."

And the nuke hit.

Endtime: 5:28

Writing Prompts #16

7 years ago

Good to see you, Ghost.