Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

Next prompt is on Friday.

Rules:

0. Anyone can participate, not just the tagged people. If you participate or at least express interest, I'll start tagging you. Ask me if you want to be removed from the list.

1. Pick one of the prompts and write about it for no more than 20 minutes. You can write for longer if you want, but only words written during the 20 minutes count towards your total, so mark where you ran out of time.

2. You will be graded on wordcount and overall coherence. You will not be graded on quality, so write as fast as you can while still producing something that makes sense and would be salvageable with cleanup. It doesn't have to have an ending or form a complete story, but it should at least read like an excerpt from a longer work.

3. When you're done, post your wordcount. Posting your story is optional. We understand it will be terrible.

4. You may go back and work on previous days if you missed them.

5. You may write fanfiction if your heart desires.

Prompt #1: A Lovecraftian ritual goes horribly awry.

Prompt #2: A rusted outpost on an alien world

@WouldntItBeNice @Steve24833 @JJJ-thebanisher @Seto @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar @Mayana @Zulutrader @MasonJarGuzzi @Ogre11 @malkalack @Charaxes @Raven47 @eshspoyeofdoom @RoyalGhost_007

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

I don't think I'll do any of the prompts anymore due to several other things. So feel free to not tag me anymore.

By the way, what is the exact purpose of these prompts? Writing exercises like Kiel and Seth did?

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

Writing prompts? In the writing section of a writing site? I don't understand. :[

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

You improve your craft by practicing. The time limit is specifically to train you to output words quickly and edit them later, which is the correct way to write.

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

Damn I'm going to be stupidly busy the next couple days but I pretty much have to participate with a Lovecraft prompt...

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

Writing Prompt #19

Prompt #2: A rusted outpost on an alien world

Time Started: 11:23

The rumbling of the spaceship was becoming alarming.

"Raiden!" The pilot, Malik, was yelling. "We're going down!"

Raiden awoke in a sudden gasp, right before the engine cut out and the gravity of the planet immediately takes the ship straight down.

When the ship crests the clouds, all that was visible was a barren red planet with one single station right in the middle: right where the ship was heading. "HOLD ON!"

The ship's impact was critical, everything went black.

Raiden woke up hours later, still strapped in the ship. He looked over and saw Malik, his good friend, dead in the pilot's seat, the crash ripping his body in half, his upper body still wrapped up in the safety belt.

Raiden looked around to see the ship in ruins, blood smearing most of the cockpit. The glass below was in total darkness. Raiden unclicked his belt and he crashed through the glass and into a totally dark room, the only light spilling in from the cracks in the ceiling above where the ship crashed through.

Raiden stood up, glass shredding his skin. The total darkness was eerie, and Raiden stepped more into the dark.

A sudden sound alarmed Raiden, as a door slid open, fully illuminating the room. The light was blinding, and Raiden stepped through the doorway, only to see a horrific site.

Tubes, with humans floating inside them in the green water. They all seemed unconscious, with syringes and tubes protruding from each of their bodies. These tubes lined the entire room where another sliding door was.

"What in the name of..." Raiden asked in amazement.

Suddenly, the door slid open, but no-one stepped through it. Raiden felt a prescense in the room.

He felt a sudden graspe on his throat, and something was crushing his windpipe. His hands rose to his throat, clawing at the unknown object. Raiden was choking, and the last thing he saw was something seemingly melting into reality, an alien with long tentacles and an oval shaped head with something that was moving that appeared to be a mouth, moving in a fashion that looked like... english?

"Thank you for coming here, human. We will study you. We will nurture you. And you will never leave. Goodbye, human."

And Raiden lost consciousness and everything went black. He never woke up again.

ENDTIME: 11:41

Very open to criticism, feedback, an anything you guys want to tell me about my short story! I eagerly look forward to any feedback.

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

Azakhail stood in front of the cult, surrounded by bloodthirsty, howling warriors. They shivered and waited in joyous anticipation, staring at the alter in the center. Nailed to a large, metal stake was a thin, pale figure with pointed features and ebony hair. The sacrificial victim struggled against her bonds, both physical and psychic, which kept her bound tightly. Azakhail watched as she fought, desperate to escape.

"Psyker!" Durmont, the Chaos Lord that led the cult, said. "Why are we waiting?"

Azakhail took a deep breath, smiling. 

"We'll begin immediately, then," he says.

Azakhail raised his hands in the air, as the cult became silence. His hands began to glow with the powers of the Warp. He walked forward, as the cult quickly began finishing their preparations. They were so desperate, so eager, for Azakhail's work to come to the end.

Soon, with an eruption of psychic energy, the Daemonettes would arrive. The people would feel the pure joy as a being of incredible power, incredible pleasure and incredible pain, glanced quickly at them, her very attention giving them waves of ecstasy, before sending a wave of Daemonettes to pour into the Materium. Then, the cultists would experience new sensations. All the pleasures Daemonettes offered, all the pains, everything, would be experienced by the Cultists. They couldn't wait.

Azakhail smiled as he walked up to the Eldar. He placed his hands around her throat, smiling.

"She Who Thirsts is using you! You're only a pawn in her games!" the Eldar says defiantly.

Azakhail looked around, drawing the long, curved blade from his side, before drawing a vile of blood, an ornate candle and a long snake skin. Azakhail smeared the vile of blood over her face, before draping the snake skin over her neck. Finally, he lit the candle by her feet, letting the smoke rise up to her face. Azakhail pressed the blade against her throat.

"Let the ceremony begin!" Azakhail shouted, before beginning to chant in an ancient language.

The cultists began to join in the chant, waiting patiently. What gifts would Slaanesh provide? A new sense unknown to them to revile in? Psychic pleasures and pain? There were so many gifts of Slaanesh, that...

"Ah! Help! Help! Haugh!" one of the Cultists screamed.

The cultists turned to look, as one of the Cultist's tongues began to grow, and wrap back around his own throat. The cultist screamed as his skin began to turn to black scales, before collapsing on the ground as he became a Chaos Spawn. Another cultist yelped as mouths appeared in his eyes, devouring his eyeballs and cackling as they replaced them, before the cultist's flesh turned to solid, ever-morphing goo. The cultists began to scream as the mutations of the Warp.

"What is this?" Durmont howled, her eyes merging into own as her neck became covered with mouths, long, prehensile tongues extending from each as insanity took her.

"This... is success," Azakhail said.

The Warp Portal opened, and instantly out marched three dozen warriors clad in blue and gold power armor, led by a levitating Psyker wearing power armor holding a staff and wearing a scaled cloak.

"All is dust," the Space Marine said, staring at Azakhail, who dropped to his knees.

"Praise, master," Azakhail muttered.

The Thousand Sons had arrived. This planet was theirs now.

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

(I decided to do this prompt anyway just for fun. Sorry, I'm such a random person xD)

Prompt #2

Far away from the battalion
4th Platoon "Lambda"

-----

Lambda platoon, having taken heavy casualties from Bravarian forces, escape from the pit of the battle. With the help of trickery and cunningness of Firstst Lieutenant Connor in leading his platoon, they manage to bypass incoming patrol and are trying to get back to the rest of the battalion. But it will not be an easy journey.

---

The platoon's battle mechas, which have been scavenged from Bravarian forces, suddenly stop. Their lights which illuminate through the blizzard turn off. The soldiers manning them get out, slinging their assault rifles.

"What's wrong?" A sergeant asks.

"We're runnin' outta gas," one of the soldiers that piloted a mech says.

"Shit. Should've joined the fleet in the first place," one of them mutters.

Lieutenant Connor opens up his PDA.

"According to the map, there is an abandoned settlement not far from here. Used to be a Bravarian outpost. Maybe we can get some toys there."

Having exhausted their supplies, Platoon Lambda is forced to scavenge and steal stuff from their enemies -- the Bravarians, humanoid creatures with reptile-looking bodies.

The blizzard ends shortly after. Connor is grateful for that. He leads a few squads to the outpost while the rest of the platoon stay with the stolen mechs.

---

The outpost appears to be an old, abandoned settlement. No Bravarian or human to be seen from the outside. So they proceed to enter the outpost.

A soldier plants a demolition charge by the gate. He detonates it and the rest of the squads enter, guns up. The hallway is quite empty, with a few crates around that contain mechanical tools. They find little use of them, however.

Room from room they enter. They find various stuff, from older weaponry, explosives, to a few energy tanks for the mechs. Still better than nothing.

But one particular room they checked has some Bravarian soldiers inside, with some children and mothers. The soldiers point their guns at them, and the Bravarians do so too. But the soldiers are better-armed and surrounding the Bravarians. They don't shoot at each other.

"We got more guns around you. Wise choice? You know it," Connor persuades.

The Bravarians have no choice but to surrender. They lay down their weapons and the soldiers take them. Then, the lieutenant politely asks them about getting supplies for their journey. The Bravarians agree to share some of their stuff as long the humans let them and their families live.

Lieutenant Connor agrees. The Bravarians give them some fuels and food for their jounrey. The soldiers return their weapons and bid them farewell.

Connor could just let his platoon finish them off and take all the stuff himself. But seeing how Bravarian children and civilians are taking refugees from the heat of the battle remind him of his own family taking refugee from an alien invasion, where they were being treated surprisingly well.

Connor is mostly a ruthless soldier. But this time, he acts out of his usual habit. He pities the Bravarians and wishes them luck.

Well... karma.

---

Words: ??? (Wait till I get back to my PC)

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot to remove you anyway.

Edit: Just kidding, I forgot you asked in this one, not in a previous one.

Writing Prompts #19

7 years ago

Prompt 2

Starting time 6:04

"Huh.. where am I?" George moans. He's in a room so dark he can barely see his hand right in front of his face. Suddenly the lights flash on, nearly blinding George.  He see's a slimy figure looking at him through a window. The figure says" Welcome to X-78, human. My name is ZN-357. We found you on an abandoned space station in cryo sleep and brought you here in hope of learning about your species". Since ZN-357 said he was in cryo sleep, George asks " what Year is it?". "According to your human calender it is the year 2334". This startles George because he went on his 2 year mission in 2297. "Hows that possible? What did the planet near the station look like?"George demands. ZN-357 replies " The planet we cracked into 3 big chuncks. It was most likely hit with an RF-3474 Bomb. the only species that uses that bomb are the gyions. We also found some of their ships crashed it the plantets crust.". At a loss for word's,George ask's" Were there any other survivors?". ZN-357 says"We did not find any others". George curls into a ball and starts to cry. ZN-357  walks away and shuts the lights off.

Word count: 173