Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

An Architect's Hope

7 years ago

Ink flowed from the golden tipped pen. It started slowly and steadily at first, but soon the Architect's pace picked up. He ran the pen across the paper again and again with each line more precise than the one before. At first the piece looked like a random assortment of lines, but as time progressed they began to form a picture. 

A picture of the dream that haunted the Architect's mind endlessly. It always began with him being exiled. Separated from his kind, and with no help. He never knew what to do, but he could always see in the distance, that abominable library. It sat on a mountain, and towered over the villages below. The design itself was enough to make many turn away in horror. Who could bear to look upon such an inadequately supported foundation? One day an earthquake would come, and rock the library off of its foundations. They would regret it then, but not as much as the villagers they lorded over. 

Yes, those villagers would realize the utter fools they had been to build themselves around such a mountain that was doomed to be their downfall. They would regret the deaths that came, but they would regret the trust they placed in those who ruled in the library more. After all, they only spouted nonsense about how their wisdom could teach anyone. About how they might be able to follow in their footsteps. How they might be able to ascend to the title of Sage, and their regret would be legendary. 

Those thoughts would repeat through the Architect's head whilst looking at the abominable library in his dream. Every time, however, he realized that he could not wait for such a collapse to befall the library. The longer those villagers were following the Sages, the longer they placed their faith in frauds. And, Great Architect forbid, a natural disaster did not come during his lifetime, then he would not live to see the villagers regret. More importantly, he would not live to see their enlightened minds, at what they could accomplish if only they escaped the Sage's grasp. 

Each time he had the dream, he knew he could not simply wait around for them to fall. No, waiting around would not help anyone but the Sages. He must act now. Even as he thought it, he turned his gaze away from the library and toward the area he'd been exiled. It started off slowly, but brick by brick the Architect began to build a castle. He would see it in his mind's eye. How the spires would pierce the clouds, and how the walls would be thick enough to repel any Maruader or Warden that dared attack them.

But he would only ever build the foundation. Beyond that, the rest of the of the Castle would crumble to pieces. The bricks that made the spires would fall over and crumble to dust in the wind, or the courtyards plants would wither and die. The walls would give way at the slightest provocation. It was here that the Architect despaired. It was this moment in the dream that haunted the Architect in his daily life. Haunted enough to make him draw, over and over again. A design that would put all other designs to shame. 

So the Architect sat and drew that design, but no matter how many times he drew it he knew that such a beautiful creation could never come into existence if it was only his own will. For the dream was true. He could only start the Castle. Others must help him finish, but again, the dream was true. It was as if the Architects were exiled across the world. Occasionally some may hear whispers. A whisper about a great Architect that lived at the Ford of the largest river in the known world. Or another about Will the Eleventh, the the only living person with rights to the Edition. Those were only a few. Maybe, the Architect thought. Just maybe if I build the foundation, others will come. Maybe the Sage tyranny will be over at last.

He set his pen down on the picture. A completed design of the Castle rested below it. He took a moment to admire the work. It was certainly his best piece yet, and maybe it wasn't quite good enough yet. But that's why there were other Architects. With the others, they could turn this dream into a reality. 

He rose from his chair slowly. Determination filled his eyes. Maybe he would not be haunted by the dream any longer. He left his cabin without another thought. He had to get the word out to all the Architects somehow. 

An Architect's Hope

7 years ago

Beautiful. Absolutely utterly beautiful. I'm not saying this just because I'm an Architect, but you were able to make me see the scene you wrote about. It really was breathtaking.

An Architect's Hope

7 years ago

This is really close to commendable! Post a second draft where you've edited for flow and I'll commend it if it's a significant improvement.

An Architect's Hope

7 years ago

@EbonVasilis ! Yeah! More points for the Architects!

An Architect's Hope

7 years ago

I knew I should've revised it before I posted it. Oh, well I'll probably end up revising it tomorrow.