Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Looking for novel world-building advice

6 years ago

This is the only site I can think of that really takes writing seriously. I could ask around other forums, but I know there are users here that can help.

Anyway, I want to make a high fantasy novel. The kind with elves and dwarves, in a realm much similar to that of Tolkien's. One of my goals, though very long-term, is to write something so well, that when people think of such novels, they think of not only LOTR or the Inheritance Cycle, but my book(s) as well. Now, I'm nowhere near that writing level, and I'm currently still trying to put together a story for this site, but I still want to reach that point someday. I'm hoping to polish my writing skills here(this isn't saying I'll be publishing a storygame in the next month by any means).

The point is, as I was thinking about ways I could make my world different while still keeping with a Tolkien theme, I became worried that my setting would be limited. Secretive, wise, and talented Elves in forests. Hardy, stubborn dwarves in mountains. Magic at a level able to be wielded, but only by those powerful enough. Even if I created a new history for this world, and added my own creatures, I don't want my story to be hindered by these restrictions. I want people to read and understand that this isn't a Tolkien fanfiction, but my own work. I may be stressing out over nothing, perhaps changing history and characters would make a story unique, but it doesn't much feel that way now.

...Well, that was my rant. I guess I'll do homework now.

6 years ago
It could be interesting.

Of course, if you use wise, secretive elves, people ARE going to think of Tolkien. If you have hardy, stubborn dwarves, people will think of Tolkien. But also, if you make up hardy, stubborn elves, people are likely to STILL think of Tolkien! Clearly, he really came up with a standard. It is so much of a standard that it is THE definition of those fantasy realms. I would either just go ahead and embrace it, and develop it however you like, knowing that you're using his works; or invent your own races of things and start over.

6 years ago

Although Tolkien is famous for using much Germanic/Nordic mythology as an inspiration for his writing, he actually used many other sources as well;  Celtic myths and legends, the 1001 Nights, Shakespeare (Macbeth and King Lear), classic European fairytales, and children's fantasy stories he read his own children.  And really, that's where I'd start if I wanted to do what you're suggesting.  Immerse yourself in these imaginary worlds, as well as others, I can recommend traditional folktales from India, China, and the Americas.  As you read all that, you're bound to get some ideas of what you like and don't like, how you think certain things should have gone, etc.  Mix it up with your fertile imagination, until you have an idea that's so good it's bursting to come out of you.  Then write it down.

6 years ago
You can always go back to the source material and find ways to make the components your own. Maybe your elves aren’t exactly benevolent? Maybe they’re outright arrogant pricks. Or maybe they have the same capacity as humans to be anywhere on the lawful-chaotic, good-evil spectrum. Maybe the other races think they’re really fugly and dumb! Nordic dwarves were basically elves but pitch black. They don’t have to be broad chested runts.

Tolkien played with his sources to create a world that is generally considered stock fantasy canon, but that doesn’t mean that radically different interpretations can’t be done. The writing, plot, characters and your imagination will carry the story.

Edit: As Ogre pointed out, you’ll have to make a significant shift from the depictions Tolkien has done to truly create separation.

5 years ago

This. Wish I read this before posting. You explained it really well though :)

6 years ago
I mean the possibility of coming up with your own takes on things as others have suggested is there, but if you're in love with Tolkien's characterization of the races he popularized, specifically, just accept that there will be comparisons and focus on writing a good story.

It's not going to be fanfiction regardless if it's not literally set on Middle Earth and doesn't have Aragorn fucking Legolas. All the fantasy tropes you've mentioned are common enough to fantasy in general by now that what matters more is what you do with them.

Tolkien's actual lore goes way beyond the typical 'elves are from forests, dwarves are from mountains' tropes anyway, most of it doesn't even make an appearance in LOTR and it would take effort to imitate it on more than the surface level.

6 years ago

Try to be original for one thing, copy and pastes never work out well.  Just start with the events that serve to call the protagonist to action.  Then build around that with the politics, events, religions, and goings on of all the factions and peoples.  Also, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but don't put all your hopes into one single story.  Write....write....and keep writing, it's the only way you'll get better.  

5 years ago

Why not consider changing the personality and environment of the creatures in your world, for example switch the general roles and characteristics of the elves and dwarves, I was once doing a high fantasy rp on a semi political-socialization site (cause I love coming up with lore) and I was doing it as an entire kingdom revolving around xenophobic fascist dwarves. History can only get someone so far, some time's you need to change what a race is like as a whole to spice things.