Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Choose your own story MADE BY THE INTERNET!

4 years ago

Hello everybody,

I'm quite new here, but I want to let you guys know that I'm conducting a little experiment.

You see, I made a webiste or online application where you can read a standard choose your own adventure story. But the twist for this one is that it will be made by the internet. I made this website for my study (Games and interaction) where I want to learn a bit more backend programming.

It goes as follows: you read the story, but you may think that the options you get in a part of the story are not the ones you want, or there aren't any. So you write your own option with consequence in it!

I am curious how a story like this would become? Would it become chaotic? Or totally insane? Or will it be really small?

I don't know, but lets figure it out!

Here is the link:

https://studenthome.hku.nl/~nathan.nieuwenhuizen/assets/ouradventurestory/

Cheers,

Nathan

4 years ago
Very cool. Is there anything that makes this different from Infinite Story?

4 years ago
Looks like it's just one big story that people add to.

4 years ago
Looks fun, I'll take another look in a bit. Reminds me of the old Addventure site I wanted many hours on back in the day.

Any rules on content or maturity?

4 years ago
Just at a glance: the end game option looks really abusable. I'm pretty sure anyone could go in and start shutting down branches with a few clicks until there was nothing left to be expanded on. (There's already the one option taking up space on the first page that just kills you instantly.)

Making it so new paths could be created even on a page like that might be the simplest solution.

I'm curious, would the site support a few different stories running simultaneously? The first few pages that are there now are I guess inviting for random people to play around with (the story so far is what here would be called 'lol random'...although that's probably bound to happen no matter what with enough contributors and no moderation) but a few stories in other genres might attract people to experiment more or keep them in areas that interest them. Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc.

A wide open story like this is a really cool idea but by making the main character just some guy in the real world that has wacky things happen to him, and the tone of it all, it's already been limited quite a bit in terms of where the story can go.

I'll be keeping an eye on how this all develops anyway and thanks for sharing it, and for making it! Really wish I had the know how to put together a site like that. There's definitely room for more CYOA stuff out there, it's a format that fits the internet just so well.

4 years ago

This looks interesting, I will give it a read at some point during the week and offer my highly valued thoughts on the story and it's potential.  I am the master of empty promises but this I will follow through with. 

Edit. I also have a couple of questions.  What are the rules for writing a new storyline? is there a limit on mature themes or descriptions? any limits on length? And is there an overreaching plotline that must be followed or do writers have full creative freedom? I will offer another edit after I read through in case any questions are answered in the story or in your post, as I have probably missed something obvious 

4 years ago
The idea appears for it to be a completely open story, but I was wondering about the maturity rating too. I assume there's basic moderation for spam and shit that might actually be illegal but still all seems pretty abusable even if it's possible to keep up with it all as it grows.

Turns out Addventure still exists at least in archive form if anybody wants to see a similar example in action, but those were more innocent times.

4 years ago

Well I guess we’ll see if my spam gets taken down or not.

4 years ago

How does this work? I just typed several paragraphs in the consequence box, but when I clicked create only the question was there.

4 years ago

Quotation marks don’t work btw. At least for me. Maybe it’s a mobile thing.