Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Hey, I was wondering who all on this site makes music as well. Nowadays, I mostly do musical performance poetry. Here's a live video of one of my old Industrial bands from back in the day. I'm the one doing the vocals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLM81E95bdQ

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I do, I am a musical artist. I rap and sing, at local locations I currently have three songs out. I'm not really that big as a rapper and my brand is growing.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Do you have any links to your stuff?

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I'm somewhat embarrassed to put my work on this site for everyone to see. But I'll link one of my close friends, Spotify account. He has an album out, I'm featured in one of his songs. 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/5b2hjPOKy4dqYtMZAxG3GQ

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I can't seem to get in. It's asking me to sign up to Spottify.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Yeh, you have to sign up to Spotify first with your email account, and then you can use Spotify.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
You are actually black, right?

You are a normal black guy into rap for once and not an edgy white transwoman or a communist Pakistani?

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Lol, edgy white people and communists are the worst.

But If you are talking to me, yes, I'm 100% Black, I was born in Lagos, Nigeria.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
Are you a prince?

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I'm creeped out by your assumption being super close to home, and your honestly not going to believe my answer. I am a prince out of very many princes, from a small, impoverished region in Nigeria. I am technically royal blood, but the "royal family" is polygamous/Muslim, so my grandfather had like six wives with like at least three children each. So you can imagine there are a lot of little African princes all over the place. 

My great grandfather was the oldest living monarch. He died this year at the age of 116, and you can search it up if you don't believe me (I honestly don't know if it will pop up because of Queen Elizabeth). So yes I'm a prince but I'm not sure if it gives me any benefits whatsoever, because as I said before it is a very impoverished country.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
It was a joke about the only thing most people know about Nigeria, but cool backstory.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Prince of Bel-Air, I got the reference, and all people ever ask is, is that really true, you look mixed, or where you actually born there.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I don't think Will Smith was playing a Nigerian, Mizal was likely referring to the stereotypical conceit of an email scam:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam

E.G. "I'm a Nigerian Prince. My father died with [arbitrary number] million USD in diamonds, and I have to get this out of the country RIGHT NOW because he supported Gadaffi and it's not safe here. Please send your bank info so I can transfer the rocks into overseas legal tender, I will let you have a [arbitrarily high]% cut because this blood money disgusts me"

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Hahaha, Bunch of Nigerians got busted for that recently on the news. My dad always gets so pissed because he says they give us a bad look. I've never actually gotten one of those calls before, sounds really believable.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Davefaster, wow, that's cool you're from Nigeria. Are you Yoruba or Igbo? I like the Nigerian Fantasy writer Amos Tutuola. He wrote fantasy novels based on Yoruba folklore.    

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

My mom is Yoruba, and my dad is Kogi. 

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Huh, you said 116, the link says 115. I take it they got it wrong? I don't trust sites with pop ups telling me to let them use cookies.

If you know more about the history of your family, you could probably write a pretty interesting story about it (or even a storygame!). I find that people consider things closer to them less interesting than it would be to an outsider, but writing such a story does depend on a number of things, so I'm just mentioning it in case you never thought about it and might find it interesting.

As for music, I've used online sequencer to make unfinished garbage a few times: Online Sequencer. A fun little thing to mess around with, but from what I gather, notes cannot be 'held', so that sucks.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
MSN is owned by Microsoft, it's not giving your computer anything it's not already infected with.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Sadly I don't know that much about the history of my Family. I don't remember most of them we moved when I was three, so I don't have any memories of them. It's hard to dig up info on your family from halfway across the country, especially when it's from a developing nation, and there aren't that many records about them. It is 116. I don't know how or why they got it wrong

Also, as mizal mentioned, MSN is owned by Microsoft. They have to be at least a little credible.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I do/did, mainly with virtual instruments, and with soundtracks in mind. I've probably "finished" less than 10% of what I've started, though, so most are (and will likely remain) a few conceptual measures. Haven't really been into it recently, which sucks.

E: This one, for instance, was inspired by something drkphoenix mentioned, believe it or not

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

BradinDvorak, this is nice.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Thanks!

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I do make music. Badly. But I make music. Some of its just yer ol guitar and vocals, some of it is pseudo electric swing.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

bilbo, you should post your stuff if you have it online.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
I've only written a few melodies here and there. I always lose interest sometime before writing the accompaniment. I also tend to worry that that EXACT song has been written before and that maybe I am writing something I just remember but forgot the name of rather than something I came up with.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Cricket, you can always work outside the Western traditions of music if that might help. 

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
I don't really set out to do anything. I just get a nice tune in my head, and then I write it down and maybe expand on it. It's always on piano too. So the tunes I do this with are never some sort of Mongolian style thing or anything like that.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

Or you can do Arnold Schoenberg's twelve tone serial method. That uses a Western scale. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0110yMrICuQ  Well, that's just a suggestion.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
Interesting

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

You can also find music software shareware online that you can download on your computer. Then you can use that to create backing tracks that you can improvise over. That's what I did for my old band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVycdpS-_Xg

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago
I really can't maintain interest long enough for anything that elaborate

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

That's fine. Just do whatever works for you.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

I have a bunch of little songs written in Beepbox. I consider my best work a series of songs that just deliberately recreate a chinese folk song. The others are original as far as I know, but because part of the thing with Beepbox is that you listen to it as you make it up, I have a similar problem as Cricket where I can't tell whether it's "familiar" because I've heard it a lot, or whether it's familiar because I've heard it somewhere before this.

Anyone Make Music Here?

4 years ago

IsentinelPenquin, wow, do you have any audio you can share?