Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 12/12/2016: Not a feature suggestion

New Storygames

9 years ago
I actually don't mind the WC games as much anymore. Most of them are horrible, true, but they're also incredibly short and it's obvious within a page or two what kind of quality you can expect. Typically, it takes less than five minutes to finish playing it and give it a rating to offset the arbitrarily high scores the author and their friends gave the game. I usually don't bother with comments unless it's especially atrocious or if the author actually could become decent if they put in some more effort.

On occasion, there IS a good one, and it's a pleasant surprise.

What I do have a problem with, however, is that the storygames which are ACTUALLY good, with lots of thought and effort put into them, get buried underneath the stream of WC stories. True, there are plenty of other bad stories that have nothing to do with Warrior Cats, but Warrior Cats seems to be the majority lately. It's just kind of sad that the decent stories don't get more exposure on the New Storygames list because they're rotated out by Warrior Cat fans posting their 1-day efforts constantly.

There's nothing much we can do about that though, so I guess it's all moot.

New Storygames

9 years ago

I moved this.

It used to be that stories would sit on the New Storygames page for about a week before being replaced by new stories, but now it seems like every day there's a completely new set of WC fanfic taking up the whole category.

I agree, I don't know what we can do about it.  I suppose you can always mention new ones in the Parlor Room.

Keeping Warrior Cats out of New Storygames

9 years ago
If a Warrior Cats tag was made, maybe WC fanfics could be kept out of the new storygames category. I'm not entirely joking; this is a half-serious suggestion.

Problem is that if these people aren't going to put any effort into their stories or talk to the rest of the community, they're unlikely to know about/bother with tags.

I don't know if it might encourage more WC stories to be made, but it's not something that's going away anytime soon anyway.

9 years ago

Well, BZ and I can add tags to published games.  So at least we could control that part of it.

9 years ago

That is actually a good idea.

9 years ago
Maybe, but Firelion does have a point. If someone puts a decent amount of effort into a game, then it'd be unfair to take it out of new storygames just because it's WC.

Besides, if it really is that bad it deserved to be seen by everybody in the new storygames section and rated badly. I don't think my idea was a very good one, after all.

9 years ago

I think we should just raise the minimum standards for a story.

9 years ago

Yeah, there's no true way to control the flooding. It's not fair to block all WC tagged games from the new storygames section and showing that there is specific content that we have a contention with could cause a possibly terrible precedent.

I do worry about the minimum standards thing. We're already enforcing a standard for the site, even deleting those that prove not up to par. To go further may include screening, but that would be a huge, time-consuming process and a possibly unfair burden to those who would do the screening.

9 years ago
I wouldn't be completely against this, but I wouldn't raise them that much. I think to be deleted they should be truly terrible games.

9 years ago

Any thing that is a one or two is completely terrible. I'm not against threes because it's often the author's first game, and we need to encouage writing.

9 years ago
I see what you mean by encouraging writing but it seems to me that most people come here are either serious about writing or they're not. From what I've seen it's very rare for somebody to write a terrible storygame, then take on board others' comments about it to improve future games. They'll either go away or continue to write terribly, on the whole.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have people like Quiller coming in with the demo of his first storygame and wowing everybody with something incredible despite it being incomplete.

Yes, people can improve with time and some constructive feedback, but I think people who make really poor quality storygames in the first place are generally people that don't listen to advice or constructive criticism. That's probably part of the reason they write such crap to begin with - they don't think too much or research about how to write well.

9 years ago

From my personal experience, that is wrong. I was a terrible writer when I first wrote on this site. I'm at least decent now, and hopefully my next game will be better.

9 years ago
OK, maybe that was too much of a generalisation, but I do certainly feel that it's true for certain new users who make bad storygames. They really don't listen to what other people have to say about their storygames.

9 years ago

I know I represent the minority here, but I don't feel that all 3s should be deleted. Maybe some, but not all.

New Storygames

9 years ago

I might have to agree withtquiller, there isn't much to do, outside of perhaps making its own tag as well as ignoring it until interest in the series wanes.

New Storygames

9 years ago

You know...  We should finally give the WC authors recognition.  Or at least the good authors.  ;D

New Storygames

9 years ago

Simply because there are so many bad WC games? I can't condone that. If their storygame is high enough in quality that it would earn recognition even if it wasn't a WC game, then by all means, they deserve recognition. If their game doesn't have the traits that would qualify a non-WC game for any sort of recognition, then they don't. We don't need any sort of CYS Affirmative Action for Warrior Cats.

New Storygames

9 years ago

If you see a game with the words Warrior Cats on the title, chances are, it's a WC game.  Most of the WC games on this site are extremely bad, but even the ones that are AWESOME (can you tell I'm American?) are buried deep beneath the bad ones.

New Storygames

9 years ago

I feel like calling a WC game awesome is an oxymoron.

New Storygames

9 years ago

LOL!  That's true.

New Storygames

9 years ago

We can't really stop people from rating all Warrior Cat storygames as terrible pieces of crap that deserve to be set on fire.

We can't stop people from giving undeserved ratings like that for anything else either.

If they don't deserve to be rated as such, then we could only how that people care more about plot, writing skill, and game aspects than hating on a particular subject matter and rating all the games for points.

That being said, I really wish people would stop reading and rating  storygames that have subject matters that they hate, unless they're going to rate objectively. The downsize of trophies and points is that there are people who will flip through a storygame they know they won't like and go in with the notion that no matter what the storygame is getting a crappy rating because it isn't their cup of tea. It feels like going to a concert for a genre of music you hate and expecting to have a terrible time, and then complaining because you had a terrible time.

I don't particually like Science Fiction, but I don't go rating all the science fiction storygames indiscriminately as terrible because they don't fit my tastes. 

Warrior cat storygames that are of decent, good, or great quality will probably suffer from this type of rater/reviewer. There are some people that will look at any Warrior Cat storygames as terrible because they have no interest in the content.

However, we can't stop people from rating things poorly, regardless of quality, because we can't force people to be objective about things.

So we're pretty much stuck with how things are.