Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Not going to modify the nitty gritty of the AE for now, unfortunately, but this suggestion is good.

[EDITOR] Better variable names

9 years ago

Allow variable names to have underscores (_) and more than 10 characters.

It's fine when you have a few variables like MONEY or HEALTH. But if you have many flags associated with each location or character you end up with unreadable names like OOBGR1 instead of ONCE_BIG_GLADE_RAINY_DAY (this is a real example). Using unreadable global names usually causes bugs. No decent scripting language has such ridiculous naming restrictions. And it'll take only a few minutes to fix.

More examples of useful names that you can't use (not from a particular story): JAKE_HEALTH, JAKE_MOOD, JAKE_LOCATION, JAKE_PRANKED_BY_BOB, JAKE_PRANKED_BY_HERO, JAKE_SPELLS_LEFT, MARGARETH_HEALTH, etc.

It will benefit writers (including me), who will be able to make better scripts. Consequently, it will benefits readers, who will get more good stuff.

9 years ago

I'm pretty sure this has been asked or atleast discussed somewhere before, as I remember asking alex_p (a site creator and the only one who can do this) why there was such a low limit of 10 characters for variable names. That was like months ago, maybe a year ago. So it depends on whether he has the will and time to do it. All we can do is pray.

8 years ago

Even if it has been asked before, it's still a good idea to post it, since a lot of members here are against thread necroing.

8 years ago

It's no use having extra posts here that have to accepted or rejected. It's better to have one post. Necroing is fine in this forum.

8 years ago
Just use camelCase.

8 years ago
Variables must be in ALLCAPS for the advanced editor. Though, strangely, I didn't think the AE allowed you to use underscores.

8 years ago

It doesn't.

8 years ago
Sorry, I misread the OP.