Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 12/11/2016: Definitely not. Just disable advanced features.

Change Advanced Editor to resemble the regular one

8 years ago

As I write my story, I have changed it to an advanced storygame, which is aggravating because I cannot STAND the advanced editor. Is there a way to make it to where each and every page does not open a new page? Is it possible to change it to where it's like the normal editor in order of going through each page on the site? Variables and whatnot can still be slotted up top. It's really annoying when I have all of these pages open every single time I am trying to find a certain path. It also does not say that it has no links running to and from it. UGH

8 years ago
Hello. I'm Breezy. I've been reading over your post, and I would like to try to help you as I am new to the advanced editor as well. I found it a little difficult to understand when you first begin to use it. But honestly, I think you would benefit the most if you read the articles on the Help and Info page. The main articles I suggest (as they answer most of your questions) are: Going Advanced, Link and Variable Restrictions, and The Basics of Scripting.

To answer your questions, I do not think there is a way to get around the pages opening in a new window when you click them. I could be mistaken though. You will have to clarify your next question, " Is it possible to change it to where it's like the normal editor in order of going through each page on the site?" What do you mean? You mention all the pages popping up when looking for a certain path. Basically, you can locate your pages almost identically from both the Advanced and Basic Editor's. To edit certain pages, in Basic Editor it's Edit View and in Advanced Editor you just click the blue page beside the red x, right beside where you put your links. To get Page List like in the Basic Editor, in Advanced Editor it's under Chapter Page's list.

Finally, I do not think this belongs here but in the Advanced Editor . Who would it benefit from your suggestion to change the Advanced Editor to more resemble the Basic Editor? I really do not think this is very important as to how difficult it would be to implement compared to how it would benefit the site. Just my opinion here, but I really suggest you check those articles out. There is even one that tells about posting here. Good luck with the creation of your game! And remember you can always start fresh with a new game using the basic editor; I had to do this myself.

8 years ago

If you feel that strongly about the advanced editor, there's nothing forcing you to use it; the site does warn you that it's irreversible before you switch. It might have been a good idea to test it out on a new story instead of an existing one to see how you liked it. But if the popups are the main complaint, just close the ones you're not going to be writing in as you go? That's never something that's ever really registered with me as a difficulty in my own work, though of course they'll add up if you're just leaving them all open.