Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 1/15/2017: See comments.

[EDITOR] Reorder items, variables, scripts, links.

8 years ago

As the title again :D. Is it possible, or would that be a suggested feature, to be able to rearrange the order of such things in the editor. So instead of alphabetically

CON

CH1

CH2

HTH

KILLS

SCORE

TEMP1

It could be

CON

HTH

CH1

CH2

TEMP1

KILLS

SCORE

As an example. Simply to make it more organised and coherent. As it stands, I'm using Z1 to Z9 as a prefix to achieve the same thing.

In a similar vein, to convey information quickly, would it be possible to have on the Item/Variables/Chapter screen, a small box beside (20 chars or so), to describe what they are or do?

---

Would it possible to implement a way of reorganising Variables, Items, Chapter and such in the editor. Currently it's automatically arranged alphabetically. Adding another page where they could be moved up or down as desired, is the idea.

Does it clearly state who it will benefit (readers, new members, authors, power users, etc.) and how it will benefit them?
    1. The benefit is to authors, as the only group who would see it.

Does it thoroughly describe the mechanism in which it will work? I.e. how it would appear to a user, if it could "leverage" an existing feature (like, the notifications)
    2.Currently Items/Variables are arranged alphabetical. If instead an editting mode could be opened, taking to a new page, which would allow each entry to be moved up or down. I believe this would be doable with tables, and javascript should allow such functionality.

How difficult will this be to implement?
    3.Honestly, I don't know. I know I've seen similar functions on other sites. Viewing the source, it's already arranged in a table, and tables are fairly easy to do this sort of thing with. It shouldn't affect anything mechanically, all the rest of the data should move with it (VARIABLE, MIN, MAX, START, DISP, and obviously all the 'internal' parts of it. Items even easier, simply Name and Number)

How important is this to implement relative to all the other things that can be done?
    4.Not very important, I must admit. It's more of a convenience, of a 'polish' feature, rather then essential. If it took more then 2 hours to design, implement, and test, it would be too much. I can achieve the same thing by putting a ZZ prefix to a variable I want at the bottom, and Z1, Z2 etc for more specific ordering.

8 years ago

Yes please.

Except I'd like to see a way to organize regular story pages too. They're always listed in the order of creation and so my page list quickly gets filled with all these scattered empty pages and clutter, and it's even more annoying if I go back and add something to a branch, and those pages are stuck far far away from the ones they relate to. Chapters help a little but not enough, I really only use them for keeping major branches separate..

Also if I could reorganize pages manually I'd be able to make blank ones with titles like #EFFECTS [NPC] RELATIONSHIP# or #FOREST EVENTS# or #DEATH SCENES# and just stick them in as separators so I could see where all the relevant pages were for everything at a glance.  Just another of those little things I'm spoiled on from writing IF games I guess, it's so nice being able to just click and drag pages around and reorganize on the fly and it's frustrating not having and way at all to change things around here.

7 years ago

Including this suggestion here too: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/feature-wishing-well/message/17802

Also including this suggestion: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/feature-wishing-well/message/20844