Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Not really necessary, apparently.

[SITE] Automate Recommendation Process

7 years ago

Allow users to recommend features for commenting, storygames for unpublishing, comments for deleting, etc. with a button click that then notifies all administrators about the recommendation.

AKA: Make Endmaster's time great again.

7 years ago

I feel like this could be very abused...we used to have a similar thing on a website I was a moderator on. However, people recommended posts for deletion just because their feelings were hurt, or they didn't like a particular person.

We finally decided to nuke the system.

7 years ago
Transparent ploy to not get your points factory taken away. :P

7 years ago

Meh, I'd even keep the points system going.

7 years ago

It's not really about the points.

Eh...let me look through my emails, and I'll find the original discussion we had on CP.

I feel like this site and that one are very similar, and implementing this will have similar results.

Edit: I have quite a few emails so maybe paraphrasing it would be easier :/

7 years ago

Found it. 

"...we'll have to end up disabling it. It is largely abused, unfortunately, and people are reporting each other for saying they didn't like this fandom, or just carrying out internet grudges by stalking and reporting every comment made by someone they disliked. "This is why we can't have nice things" in full display.
While on paper, it was a good idea, we don't have the staff power to keep it in effect if things continue on like this."

7 years ago

Hm?

It's no different than the 'Draw My Attention' threads except that you don't make a forum post, you hit a button instead. Then, on our end, we could have a system in place in the notification where we can quickly handle the comment/post/etc. at a click of a button too.

There's no additional power for abuse, since users don't get to make unilateral decisions in either case.

7 years ago
No, I know what he means, there's a lot of people who treat 'flag as inappropriate' or whatever like it's a thumbs down button. Here it'd most likely be the kind of people who don't use the forums in the first place. If you're talking an easily clickable button next to stories or reviews it's going to see a lot of use.

A form accessed somewhere else on the site that needs to be filled out should work fine though.

7 years ago

A lot of use is pretty good. Could help out a lot. One thing that might be possible is to silence a button once it's been dealt with. Meaning that additional times the same button is pressed (by different people) don't get reported.

Worst case scenario, we could restrict the button to members only, or to members with X exp points.

7 years ago
I think restricting it to members only is a good idea. Also opens the possibility of being able to reward those that use the button properly, and punish those that don't.

I don't think there'd be much need for a silence effect though. Once something has been dealt with there shouldn't be a button there anymore anyway right?

Reported comment would be deleted. Bad story unpublished. Featured comment would be featured, etc.

7 years ago

Reported comment or story might not get deleted though, and that's why the silence button could come in handy.

7 years ago
It may be a bit much for all admins to get all alerts for these things. Instead maybe make an admin page where these alerts are listed.

Though implementing wise it may be easier for them to be alerts.

7 years ago
Killa confirmed as site's laziest admin.

7 years ago

Yeah, that would be better. Maybe an add-on to 'Moderation'.

7 years ago

I think people would definitely abuse a feature like this.

7 years ago

Interesting, but would there be any way for a user to know if another user has already made a recommendation that they themselves were going to recommend? Would there be a feature that allows multiple recommendations to be made in one single haul?

If not, then I don't think that this system would be any more efficient than the current one that's in place.

Edit: But I suppose that anything that gives End more time to place into his writing isn't bad to consider :)

7 years ago

The idea isn't to make it more efficient for the users (though clicking a button is certainly more efficient than writing a post), the idea is to make it more efficient for the administrators, and this would certainly do that.

7 years ago

Seems like the major worry is that it will be more time consuming for admins than the current system xD

I'm not too concerned about that outcome. Having run a number of those 'Draw my Attention' threads, I can tell you that they're a lot of work. Any situation where I can deal with a recommendation at the click of the button will be much less work, especially if it's distributed across more than 1 admin.