Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: We need better anti-spam stuff in general.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago

I don't know if it's possible, but after seeing how many alts people like DrkPhoenix and kain1 have created, I was wondering if it would be possible to ban an email from the site. It seems like a distraction and a pain in the neck every time the mods need to ban someone like DrkPhoenixs alts. An email ban would prevent them from making so many alts, or mabye limit the number of accounts an email can create.

Again, I don't know if it's possible.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago

If an Email ban was put into effect, 3J would also need to do an Email Confirmation thing. If you hadn't noticed, you can use any email to sign up for the site, and you're not required to confirm that 1) it's your email or 2) that it's even a working email.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago

Dang. So it cant be implemented.

I wish it could. I'm tired of seeing kains spamming.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago

It's not that it can't be implemented, it's just that it would be a big task. I'm not going to reject this out of hand because it would be good to have, but it's not likely to be an immediate priority or anything.

[SITE] Ban Email

7 years ago

I thought this meant it would send an email to that address telling the user they've been banned, and explaining what happened and that an account cannot be un-banned. That'd be extraordinarily helpful, actually, given the amount of kids on this site who

1.) Have emails and internet access monitored by their parents and teachers.

2.) Don't know that they're banned or how banning works, and keep pestering the mods to give their account back.

You get banned, the moderators provide the reason for getting banned, and the site sends you an automatic email saying something along the lines of,

"Hah, your dusty ass has been banned by: [MOD] for the following reason(s): [BEING A SHIT]. This cannot be undone. You are beyond help. Do not come back until you've well and truly learned how to stop doing that thing."

[SITE] Ban Email

7 years ago

I actually think that not telling them lowers the workload for admins because many banned users simply think there's a bug with the site and resolve to check in again at a later date. Additionally, we won't have to write an e-mail every time we ban someone haha.

[SITE] Ban Email

7 years ago

"Additionally, we won't have to write an e-mail every time we ban someone haha."

Agreed. Banning someone should be fun for admins, not a chore. Lol.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago
This would do absolutely nothing to stop alts. Creating a new email takes almost no effort. Heck there are plenty of sites that will actually give a temporary email address for free, and you generate as many as you like.

The only ways to truly, effectively ban individuals take a tremendous amount of work and building of security layers, verifications, and other things to create layers of trust. There is no point for a site like this, where alts are more of a joke than damaging.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago

Also, you don't even need a real e-mail address to create an account, as there's no confirmation necessary.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago

How about banning the persons IP address?  

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago
Again, extremely easy to spoof and change your IP if you know what you're doing.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago
Shhhhh, don't let them know that!

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago
I've seen people claim things like this, but it doesn't really hold up when you look at the number of alts that get banned because it didn't occur to them to disguise their IP.

And making a new email address is a pain in the ass. I mean, not difficult or anything but it's an extra step of tedium between every new account and would if nothing else inconvenience the spammers.

Seriously, I can't think of many (any?) communities that don't require email verification and don't have the ability to IP ban. It must do some good or no one would ever bother.

[SITE] Email Ban

7 years ago

I don't have any alts or anything but as someone with five email accounts, (I use them all, don't question it,) I don't think that would work too well.