Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 8/19/2019: Agreed. I'll look at this again.
This feature was completed 9/19/2019: Done

[SITE] Extend length scaling

7 years ago
So obviously we like huge sprawling epics here, but not all 8/8 length games are created equally. It's weird to have stories just shy of 100k words and stories with over a million all be categorized the same that way. Especially now with commendations being based on length category (I think?) it would make sense to make the stories with authors who really went above and beyond stand apart from those sad pathetic efforts that are merely novel length, pfft.

I'd suggest either letting stories go above 8 on length, or else if we want to keep things traditional, make the transitions between 6-7-8 require an exponential increase in verbiage.

7 years ago

I'd rather add a 9 on the scale for extreme outliers. There may be a total of five stories in all of CYStia that'd merit a '9' length, and at the moment the 4/5/6/7/8 thresholds are fairly meaningful in getting an impression of how long the story experience will be, and account for an overwhelming majority of content on the site.

That said, no one would make this kind of a wish without a reason, I'm looking forward to your storygame that's been in the oven for the last two months even more now.

7 years ago
Nah, even if mine winds up an 8 in length it's not going to compete with what's already out there. This was more a reaction to, holy crap, Dead Man's Walking has over a million words in combination with knowing Steve and End both have monsters in the works right now.

7 years ago
I wonder whether the word count considers scripts as well. As in, would a page with lots of alternate / conditional text / lots of coding / invisible text be counted as longer than a similar story without the bells and whistles. Also, Berka's profile reads the million word Malkavian, it was kind of a dead ringer (especially after the update that allowed everyone to see story length came out)

7 years ago
Dead Man Walking has 530,000 words which is less than Eternal's 650,000. No idea why people think it is over a million. :)

7 years ago
If you aren't on mobile, mousing over the 8/8 in Length for DMW reveals 1,083,499 as the true wordcount. Eternal is 632,593.

7 years ago
Pretty sure the word count system is flawed then. "Fun Facts About The Game:
121 Variables
2131 Pages
6744 Links
530,000+ Words (over half a million baby!)" - BZ posted this when he initially released DMW. No way in heck has he added another 500 thousand words more as updates. (or maybe he has, that wicked penguin...)

7 years ago
He may have, the game was updated after launch, and you misspelled magnificent

7 years ago
It's not exact and anyway I'm pretty sure scripting is accounted for somehow. @Endmaster knows his own words counts though and should be able to tell if the site's estimates are at least in the neighborhood.

7 years ago

According to Infinite Story, Eternal's word count is 648,067, while on Word it says the word count is 656,743 so I'm not exactly sure what either site is including or not including.

7 years ago
My original word count was done literally copy pasting every page into word and running word count, haha! It was chock full of holes and I may have forgot to do an entire chapter, which would explain why I only got half of what JJJ's system picked up.

I had forgot about that post too, so I might as well go update it! ;)

7 years ago
Just checked and my ballad seems about right. Just a hair over 3k in Scrivener, but there's text in the epilogues I have written out there, while it's on images in the storygame itself.

Of course, add a few hundred thousand words and I suppose any minor discrepancies would start piling up.

I'm not sure if/how links and scripting are factored in, which would make a difference too.

7 years ago

I like it when you accept your inferiority to your superiors.

7 years ago
I think with the word count available right there on the mouseover that maybe this isn't needed. I get the idea. Maybe it would be better to just put an asterisk next to the length of any story that has an 8 length and more than 100K words?