Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Don't think limiting participation is what we currently need.

Forum Post Cooldown

7 years ago

To reduce forum spam, I think there should be a cooldown for when you post in the forums that bars you from posting again until the cooldown expires. The cooldowns (that I think would be appropriate), would be:

1 forum post (in existing threads) = 30 second cooldown

1 thread creation = 1-3 hour cooldown

However, I think mods should be able to disable cooldowns for themselves, since obviously mods aren't going to spam the forums (hopefully).

A notification saying "Your Thread Creation Cooldown is up," would also seem like a nice thing to have for this specific feature, but it should also be able to be toggled on and off if a person doesn't wish to receive it.

When trying to post with a cooldown active, a message saying "Your cooldown is active," could also be handy to prevent noobs from saying "oh no help me I can't post every ten seconds," in the B&P forum.

Forum Post Cooldown

7 years ago
This is a standard feature in many types of forum software. However, I'm not sure that this particular web site is using quite "Standard" forum software, so it may be much more difficult than you think. If there is just a checkbox for it in the forum software, this would be simple to implement. If there's not, well, it's way to complex to add with coding than it might be worth. Now if you wanted to talk about changing the forum software entirely, that's a whole different issue there...

Forum Post Cooldown

7 years ago

I could be wrong, but I thought this was kind of already a thing.

Forum Post Cooldown

7 years ago
I'm going to go with no -- I was just able to post 22 messages in less than a minute.

Forum Post Cooldown

6 years ago
A better way to stop spams would be the way of fear - outright ban!