WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Message

If you ever wanted to ask "can you make the editor do this?", then come here and post. We're all about the suggestions.
This feature was rejected 4/22/2017: No.

the ability to be able to import twine stories

5 days ago

your story editor is great and all but twine is good too and its also web based. even if it was just an alternative. not even incorporating it into the editor, just uploading it when completely finished and being able to publish it here as a story.

but they dont let you store your stories on their site, you guys should let us be able to upload twine stories, they're probably smaller in file size than the stories that are generated on this site.

i started working on a game on here, i moved over to twine because it was easier to do the stuff i wanted, but i still want to post it here. please consider this

5 days ago
There may be a trademark or copyright issue just uploading Twine stories. That and the amount of coding it would require to translate the two formats makes this exceedingly unlikely. Twould be nice though.

5 days ago

It actually probably wouldn't be that hard. Twine is completely free to use and whatever you create you are allowed to do with what you please. Including selling it as a product. Many twine games are on steam. Secondly twine games export as HTML format. So all you would need to do is make it so you can upload HTML files when creating a story. I'm not saying the ability to be able to edit within cys editor, I'm just saying be able up upload the HTML file in place of making a story here.

3 days ago
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works xD

5 days ago
I know the Quest site is set up for Twine games, but here the editor is so integrated into the site, and the site is so old to begin with I'd be really doubtful this could be done without reworking it all from the ground up, and with 3J's limited time that's unlikely.

Also, Twine games are shit.

5 days ago
That's like recruiting Jews in the Nazi army.

5 days ago

Integrating twine would literally only help your site, but somehow this is like 'recruiting Jews into the nazi army' and how twine is shit, when in reality it is a very large upgrade compared to this sites editor. Again, I am not saying to implement the twine editor into this site. I'm just saying being able to upload your twine games (which are in HTML format) to this site, like you would upload a picture to an image website.

5 days ago
It is pretty much impossible given how little time 3J has. Heck, it would be freaking hard even for a full time paid team.

5 days ago

There must be a misunderstanding. The site already has the ability to upload files to it. All that would have to be done is that when you upload a file and press play story, it opens the twine html format story, instead of the cys made story.

5 days ago
Why not just add a link to the story itself in the forums? That is literaly the same thing as your syggestion. Adding ratings, views, etc would also require a considerable effort since it would be a completely different story viewer.

5 days ago

Twine exports to its own story viewer. 

Here is an example

http://videlaisstudios.info/games/2013/twine/isaac.html

4 days ago
OP, you know it's bad when something you're missing completely is so obvious even Negative can easily grasp it.

If you're saying you just want people to click your game and play it and don't care about ratings or it being listed in your profile or any of the other stuff that goes along with games integrated into the site, all you need to do is make a thread and post a link. People here are pretty good about feedback.

3 days ago
yeah and uniting the world to a common goal of peace and progress would literally only help as well - but it's impossible as fuck.

4 days ago
The issue is the format. The stories here are not stored in the database in html format. They are stored in a database. The site is asp, not html. So could it be done? Sure. But unless Twine has created an imported to a database specific to this site, that does mean there would be a lot of hand-coding to attempt to account for all the differences in storage between Twine and this site. And I mean A LOT of coding. I don't mind the idea, I just don't think it's really feasible.

4 days ago
No it's totally easy, you just click a button!! He knows about these things OK

Twine stories are the IF equivalent of Warrior Cats BTW. Like, in theory it is possible to make good ones but why do that when you can upload a thousand you spent ten minutes each on? They basically killed the IF community. (Tbf, the IF community is made up of cowards who would rather drown then implement quality or flood control and maybe accidentally offend someone...)

4 days ago

My first story on here was originally written in Twine for simplicity. Then I literally copy and pasted it all into CYS. It didn't take more than a few hours, so unless your Twine game is reaaaally complicated with loads of variables and coding then it might be easier just to redo it. Unless it's that long.

To be honest, it's programs like Twine which pushed me towards Cystia in the first place. 90% of Twine games aren't games at all IMO, you're just presented with bad poetry and lines taken straight out of Tumblr which have to be "deep" for some reason...It's click-click-click-clickety-click to get to another one-line page, and another, until hours later you realised that the game actually never gave you a choice. I might as well have read an eBook instead because that's as much interactivity I ever got from it. And that's the popular Twine games in the community, like that story which is about climbing a giant vine or something and the game forces you to click 2000 times with no freedom or deviation. 

I hope your Twine game is more interactive and interesting then the kind I usually see, however. If so then it would be nice to see it as a storygame.

4 days ago

"Twine games aren't games at all IMO, you're just presented with bad poetry and lines taken straight out of Tumblr which have to be "deep" for some reason..."

Lol.

Seriously, if I can copy/pasta 15 of my stories from Infinite Story, the OP can certainly take the time to do a single one from Twine.

4 days ago
This is a persistent problem with them, yeah. There's no reason someone couldn't tell a good story, but what became trendy were artsy little toys instead, made by people who think interactivity means clicking highlighted words in a paragraph in different orders to get the same outcome.

4 days ago

Twine has the ability to be very complex, just because pseudo-poets use it for their "games" doesn't detracts from what its able to do. Yeah, mine was actually a game, but I can't figure out, at all the formatting for variables in CYS. 

I started making it in CYS but Twine has way easier tutorials to understand than these articles here, which don't even tell you the formatting of the variables, unless im just being directed to the wrong articles from google. 

Don't blame Twine for the bad creators it attracts. It's better than you're making it seem.

3 days ago
Why would you have googled articles as opposed to just clicking the Help section to find one on scripting?

If you're feeling REALLY crazy you could even, you know, ask. And I mean , look around you. We're talking a system that literal retards use every day.

I'm having a hard time buying any of this TBH. Your 2012 registration date is the only thing that makes you remotely plausible.

4 days ago
I for one like Twine (or atleast Ink), and it would be great to host non-CYS games on the site for comments and ratings. I know it'd probably be a major hassle to get the two systems to talk to one another, but I would love this functionality.

3 days ago
The only practical way (again, without tons of coding) could be a separate area so that the Twine stories were 100% separate from other stories. I'm not sure how much value there would be in that.

3 days ago
That'd be a mess, because you'd pretty much have to be managing two parallel sites (non-Twine and Twine) for that to work, which would add complexity for no benefit (e.g. you'd have to search fantasy/twine and fantasy/non-twine to get what you're looking for). If Twine can be integrated within the site normal, it'd be fine, otherwise it'd be an unwelcome fragmentation

3 days ago
Maybe the author the 2.62 rated masterpiece, 'The Poison Toilet', who forgoes capital letters for artistic purposes while talking about how simple it would be for 3J to recode the entire site, could just post his Twine game already to show us the value of them before we go any further with this.

3 days ago

mizal, lol i dont get why you continue to attack me. Twine is exactly what this site is, except much further developed and is continuously updated. Change isn't always bad, I know you've been using the same editor since 2001 but you have to accept change sometimes, especially when its blatantly better. 

Being able to upload Twine stories would only be a good thing for this site. It would be moving in a forward direction instead of being stagnant. This is the "feature wishing well" after all. Don't get why you guys get so personal. 

So yeah, it would take some coding. Definitely think you guys are way over complicating it just for the sake of trying to make me look like an idiot, its pretty immature. It definitely wouldn't take "recoding the entire site" to do. You know what seems much harder to do than to program a button that allows you to upload an HTML file and then another button to open said file? Creating this entire website. Whoever made this site probably has the capabilities to do it, its just if they want to do it.

3 days ago

It's a wonder why you just don't stay on twine then. 

3 days ago
@JJJ-thebanisher @BradinDvorak @Ford @Killa_Robot

Maybe one of you more programming knowledgeable people can get it through to this guy why it's really not as simple as just adding a button that people click. Ogre has tried and failed and I'm not engaging him any further as long as he continues to dodge the issue of whether his Twine game even really exists.

I have to say this all talk and no story behavior is really reminding me of someone else, it's just that he happens to have a 2012 account instead of 2015.

3 days ago
In theory it isn't too hard to implement. The issue is more implementing it in a meaningful way on the site.

It wouldn't be too hard to create a separate "Twine" section where they can upload and play the twine story, as it is just HTML (I believe). The issue is doing any sort of integration with the existing system, and without integration there isn't a real point as we'd just be hosting twine stories.

His argument seems to be it'd still benefit us because more traffic + authors could have more options, but unless we transition into a general "Interactive Fiction" site I don't think it's worthwhile.

3 days ago
Or maybe a section of the forums that Twine games and other creative works could be shown off in?

Otherwise, yeah, you'd need an entirely separate way to display stories in profiles since the current one is tied in with the editor. Same goes for ratings which go hand in hand with the score variable, and I imagine are possibly integrated in other ways.

3 days ago
Or, you may just be asking for the ability to Host a twine story on CYS, which of itself is pretty much a no gain for CYS.

3 days ago
Well that's another issue, but even if all admins were in agreement that it would be cool and good to fully integrate Twine games with the rest of the site, it's still not a thing that can or will be done with the click of a button, or anytime soon.

Meanwhile, we have a compromise in the form of a forum in which threads can be made and links posted. But maybe Google is just not pulling up the right articles to explain how to do this.

3 days ago
"It actually probably wouldn't be that hard."

It'd actually be extremely difficult. The list of reasons why this is not going to happen and why it won't work is near infinite.

Try thinking of merging google+ and facebook. They're both web-based social media platforms. It's literally impossible to integrate them with one another.

2 days ago

Lol, please name 100 reasons on this list of "nearly infinite" reasons. 

And social medias sites interact with each other literally all the time, not quite sure what you're on about.

2 days ago

Well here's one. Banned for being a trolling fucktard.

Seriously, everyone explained this to you both politely and otherwise. You're either deliberately ignoring everyone or you're just really that much of a retard. Either one wouldn't surprise me at this point.

We're not here to accommodate your self entitled bitching, let alone put up with you when you're not exactly a contributing member in the first place.

Since you like it there so much, feel free to plague the Twine community with your brand of stupidity.