Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Too weird with threaded posts

[Site] Threads: Last 10 Posts

7 years ago
Some threads balloon to fairly large sizes (Contest threads, case in point) and become a chore to load (and find new posts). Instead of having to reload the entire gargantuan thread, an option to load only the last ten posts would be appreciated.

7 years ago

This sounds like a strange feature. The last ten posts could be replying to other posts, and won't make sense without the previous ones. Besides, why would you need to only see the last ten posts? I understand it would be less loading time, but just grabbing a few new posts from a thread doesn't seem worth the effort to implement. And, how would this work exactly? Would new posts replying to not new posts be visible, but the original post be not visible? 

7 years ago
I'd suppose the posts would have to be annotated, or have the post that they're responding to highlighted. Thing is that when a thread gets too long, it's usually easier to just check the profile of the person who left to comment to see what they posted, instead of going through hundreds of messages. Another option would be to allow thread collapsing, so you can skip to say the last 50 posts in a thread.

7 years ago
I have nothing against the feature, I just don't see how it would be practical. If you just want to get to the newest posts quickly, you can use non-threaded view. Sure, it's confusing, but far less than reading just the last 10 posts.

6 years ago
I believe non-threaded view show the first posts first and the latest posts last, which doesn't solve the problem of loading and scrolling down hundreds of posts

6 years ago
You can always press control +end to get to the bottom of the window, then just scroll up. True, you'll still have to wait for it to load first, but it's more practical than showing only the last 10 posts, because while you were away, there were probably more than 10 posts posted.

6 years ago

> Ctrl+F

>"minutes ago"

Problem fix.

6 years ago
That is clever, nice workaround
E: It'll only work if the posts are happening live, not if you're seeing the thread after an hour or so.

6 years ago

I mean, then you'd just put in the time for the most recent post, but if you're looking through threads measured in the same amount of months or years I guess it's trickier.

6 years ago

10 posts seems like too low a number; perhaps 20 or 50 would be a better number? Alternatively, we could do something similar to Reddit; have a limit at how many comments can load at one time, and have there be an option to show all posts at one time or be a toggable thing in my profile. 150-200 sounds like a good cap, since most threads don't go past this limit, meaning it won't be frequent or annoying.

6 years ago
Makes sense, I put last ten up more as a vague notion than a precise calculated number to be fair. Newest 50 would probably be the best option.