Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/2/2019: No.

Allow MINOR edits to storygames after publication.

6 years ago

Yes, I know we don't want a bunch of unfinished stories on the site, but what if there was an option to edit preexisting pages, links, items, e.t.c.  That way, if there is a problem with your story, like a broken variable, items not appearing, or grammatical problems, you can go back and fix them even after the story is published.  This would greatly improve the quality of stories on this site, as people wouldn't have to go through the trouble of taking them down, losing any ratings or comments they may have accumulated, then republishing them.  The only thing that wouldn't be allowed is creating new pages, therefore eliminating any unfinished stories.

6 years ago

Taking down a story is easy as hell. You just press a few buttons and then you can get to work. Not sure how this would benefit anyone tbh. Plus, it would be unhealthy for contests since people could try to edit their entries before the deadline. Besides being able to edit grammatical errors would mean editting in terms of writing would be allowed so these wouldn't have to be minor edits.

6 years ago
"This would greatly improve the quality of stories on this site".

It wouldn't. Most high quality stories are high quality upon initial release (because they were actually edited beforehand) or after 1 or 2 republishings.

You also don't lose ratings or comments when you unpublish something. Comments don't go away at all, and old ratings are still present, they just dont count towards your new rating.

6 years ago
I think the old ratings do count, you just have to get at least one new one for the site to realize it's supposed to factor them in.

6 years ago
I concur.

6 years ago

I agree 100% with Killa_Robot. Most people who are concerned with putting out a really high quality story get them proofed ahead of time. Now granted that isn't always easy with this site, you can always unpublish and republish like everyone else here has said.

I think this feature could definitely be abused for contests by people. First like Minnie said, people could upload a story, get all kinds of feedback, and use it to edit the story before the deadline. This would give them an advantage over people who got a later start or who wrote longer stories and had to publish closer to the deadline. Second, you could have people who otherwise wouldn't have finished a story to post a half finished story before the deadline and fill in the rest of it before it gets judged.