Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: comments. trust me, my username is JJJ-thebanisher

The Ability to Change Your Username

6 years ago

I was thinking, thanks to somebody else posting, on a completely separate thread, that it would be a nice addition to this site to have the ability to change your username.

I feel like this feature would be simple to implement and convenient for people that made their accounts years ago and wish that they could alter their name in a simple way, or extravagant way. For example, the ability to remove the underscore and numbers after my name would be greatly appreciated, or completely change my persona without having to delete my join date, thread posts, exp points, storygames, etc.

Just a thought. May the forces of creativity be with you.

6 years ago

Has been suggested before.

My personal opinion is that this would cause confusion and be very annoying to code if it's even possible.

And if your username is that bad, just make a new account.

6 years ago
It's not simple at all. I have begged JJJ to capitalize my M and it's something that would involve hunting down and changing a lot of things in the database apparently? JJJ was going to attempt to change his own name at some point but it was a big enough or experimental enough project he never got around to it.

6 years ago
"I feel like this feature would be simple to implement"

That's a rather baseless assumption. The user name may be a primary key used in a database table, unless Alex used a separate unique number field for it. In which case it would be a terrible idea to add the ability to change it, as it could fuck shit up real hard.