Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 8/25/2019: D E L E T E

Difficulty

4 years ago

What are people’s thoughts about Story Difficulty? It seems to me like there are three problems with it: (1) there’s no clear definition: is it the challenge of finding an end link? A positive ending? The best ending? (2) it’s arbitrary and most authors don’t seem to pick an appropriate value. (3) I’m guessing that no one really uses it to decide which story to read — although this might be directly related to (2).

I’m wondering what the correct course of action is: should it somehow programmatically calculated (finished vs attempted maybe)? I’m guessing this will yield strange results. Should we remove it altogether? What are your thoughts?

Difficulty

4 years ago

Would it mess anything up by removing it completely? I'm cool with getting rid of it.

Difficulty

4 years ago

I can’t think of anything, personally. Can you think of anything that relies on it that would be broken by removing all mentions of it? It would definitely take a decent amount of work!

Difficulty

4 years ago

I mean I've only used it as a measure of how many good/bad endings there are in my stories since I'm really not sure how else to apply it for anything without puzzles and such.

Difficulty

4 years ago
Seconded, it's pretty useless. The only thing that can make reaching an end 'difficult' is if there's some puzzle to progress, and the puzzle tag is a good enough indicator of that.

Difficulty

4 years ago
thirded. it means nothing to anyone

Difficulty

4 years ago

If a game I make is more "game" oriented then I end up deciding where it should place based on how hard it is to get a good ending and how many times the player may die. A more story oriented game with few to no variables? I just pick something low on the scale because usually I try to make the endings of equal significance, even the death endings. Never searched for a story by difficulty though.

Overall I'm in favor of getting rid of the difficulty meter should the notion pass.

Difficulty

4 years ago

Unless there are puzzles there really isn't much sense in it.

Difficulty

4 years ago
Honestly, I don't know what its purpose is. How have I used it? In determining how difficult it is to find the ending. Therefore, for nearly all stories, that's a very low number. The only time I made it higher than about a two was for one game that I made that it was actually challenging to find the ending. I have no idea how others use it.