I thought of this idea after reading zorph's FWW post about having a report button on storygame pages.
There are some storygames that have the wrong tags on them and some (both new and old) that don't have any tags at all, or are missing appropriate tags. I think giving the community the ability to suggest tags for storygames would be a good way of fixing this problem. A moderator could view all suggestions, and if the tag was appropriate it could be added to the story. All future stories would be published with no tags (would prevent incorrect tags).
The suggestion button on the storygame page could be presented like a tag, and at the end of the list of tags, with just a + symbol on it (ie. an add/suggest tag button).
First, I want to say I like the idea. Just have a couple of questions:
1. Are tags really important that this should be implemented?
2. Would there be more than one person looking at this because I think there should be. People have differing ideas on what they feel is right and should be put on stories and I think it's best to have a selective group of trustworthy people take a look together because a person isn't always right in their judgment, no matter how good their intentions are, and somebody else should probably help them.
3. Would adding new tags affect the game in anyway?(I don't think so but I just want to be sure.)
4. Are wrong tags detrimental? Are they really that bad to the community?
Good questions (especially number 3).
1. Tags will eventually replace categories, so yes.
2. All moderators would have the ability to add suggested tags (or appropriate non-suggested tags) to storygames. It'd be like deleting a troll comment or moving a forum thread to the Writing Workshop etc. If you're worried about consensus - somebody has suggested it and a moderator has agreed with it - that makes two people agreeing with a tag for a storygame (possibly more if more than one person suggested the tag). If an author (or reader) doesn't agree with a tag, they could always bring it up in the forums.
3. As far as I'm aware there wouldn't be any impact on the storygames being tagged. Might have to wait for Alex to see this thread to know for sure whether adding tags would affect the ratings of the storygame or something bizarre like that.
4. Well, once you begin searching by tags (ie. when the site gets updated) it'll be important. If I feel like playing a "socially important" storygame (that's a tag if I remember correctly) and then end up with a story about outer-space zombies then it renders the search somewhat ineffective.
I see. Yeah, I guess this wouldn't be a bad idea then. Thanks for the answers.
This makes sense, and i see the similarity to the "report abuse" suggestion. Sort of "abuse" vs "misuse".
Seems like this problem would cover all author-decided items: tags (as you stated), maturity, difficulty. So, it'd be a little limiting to keep it to tags.
"Report Abuse" sounds like it'd be only for below-minimum storygames (porn games, for example), so what if we have a "Flag" function. And then it'd be like, "Flag for miscategorization", or whatever... and then you type in a message.
In any case, building a new system to manage these flags/reports/etc would be a pain, so for simplicity I guess it could post a message to a hidden forum... then mods could repsond and be like "done", or "what do you think, is it a problem?'. Etc.
By all means this could be expanded to include incorrect maturity and difficulty ratings as well (I didn't include that originally because of the discussion about how those ratings would be assigned in Mod Central, but having it available to everyone works just as well, if not better).
That hidden forum sounds like a good idea if implementing a new system is too much of a hassle.
Edit: Oh also, if this FWW suggestion is accepted definitely pass on the point reward to zorphs, as this idea is based heavily off hers (only without the censorship of offensive storygames).
If we go with some automated system, I'd really like to see a coded 5 point reward for suggestions that lead to admin action.
Maybe it could do something like how the FWW works.
Where should this flag button go? Can someone take a screenshot and like circle an area on the story overview page or mock-up in Paint or something?
What about having it not hidden, but only allowing new posts via the "Flag" button?
Above the "Player Rating" stat would be great.