Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Favorite Character Interactions?

10 years ago

What have been your favorite character interactions, was it the two friendly rivals, the protagonist and the antagonist, the unexpected lovers, or an entirely different one?

10 years ago

as far as what?

what:

story/game/movie/tv show/radio broadcast/play/Broadway performance/duet

10 years ago

Any, just a pair of characters that left an impression that isn't likely to fade away.

Lee Everett and Clementine are a duo that will not forget, and miss =(, from Tell Tales The Walking Dead Game =P

10 years ago

Well I always liked this one: Clicky

This one's just funny: Clicky

10 years ago

Very nice.

10 years ago

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. 

10 years ago

Yes =P

10 years ago

I'm getting more and more into their story. 

Btw does anyone know the author of the original book?

10 years ago
Robert Luis Stevenson.

10 years ago

Thanks. Thats the one I have but there was another with a girls name so....:/

10 years ago

There are a few, I'd imagine.  Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein.  Uhh, unless you're asking about a woman who wrote a version of Strange Case

10 years ago

Dexter and Brian Moser, from Dexter

(Specifically, the clue-trail)

Barney stinson and everything, from How I met your mother

10 years ago

Haha Barney is awesome! 

10 years ago

Never thought that that statement would come from me....

10 years ago

This is indeed a truth-fact.

10 years ago

as long as you are not talking about the purple dinosaur

10 years ago

You'll notice I said Barney Stinson, not Barney the furry child molestor purple dinosaur.

10 years ago

I was talking about how Hugs said Barney is awesome and that he/she (I haven't checked, sorry hugs =() wasn't expecting to ever say that. You replied saying it was the truth, and so I said only if you are not talking about the purple, furry, child molesting dino, meaning only if Hugs wasn't taken as the purple, furry, child molesting dino.

The only reason i point this out is . . . POINT KWISM, MUWHAHA. now the score is 2:1 . . . Drakilian =( . . . =P 

10 years ago

Except for the fact that Hugs replied to my post, in which I mentionned Barney stinson. She said that Barney was awesome, clearly referencing my own post, in which I was clearly refering to the character from ''How I met your mother", therefore, it would be a wholly illogical conclusion for anyone to think she was talking about barney, the purple dinosaur, it would also be a wholly innapropriate response to my statement from Hugs.

10 years ago

Point Drakilian. -_-* damn--it--all

10 years ago

lol

Im sorry Kwism. I had to. Its just so funny.

10 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fump_YRgZYk

10 years ago

Also:

Joe Caroll and Ryan Hardy from The following

Kenzi and Hale from Lost girl

10 years ago

I enjoy the interactions between the hero of the oblivion crisis and Sheogorath. Especially when you hit him, when he would have been so full of words, however loud, brash, and nonsensical, he instead goes quiet and slowly rises from his chair, and teleports you 1000 feet above a mountain. It's one of the few times I've had a programmer-intentional laugh at my own death.

Another of my favorite interactions are the ones that take place between Aman and Berkazerka.

10 years ago

Aman and Berkazerka is always a good one =)

10 years ago

I'm actually a little disappointed in Joe Carroll.  James Purefoy is an amazing actor, and I was really excited to see what he could do with a role like "Lit Prof/Cult Leader/Serial Killer,"  but the writing let me down.

I do not believe Joe Carroll, as written, actually knows anything about Edgar Allan Poe.   I don't think the writers themselves have read any lit crit regarding Poe, hell, I think they barely even read his Wikipedia article.

I'm also disappointed in Carroll's pathology. 

Um. . . sorry for the derail.  Favorite interactions, right?

Hannibal and Will in NBC's Hannibal.

Hannibal and Clarice in Silence of the Lambs

10 years ago

Haven't seen YOU on for a while...

10 years ago

Actually, I don't remember knowing you at all.  In which case, hello, nice to meet you. Or, sorry I totally forgot who you were, as the case may be.

10 years ago
Hey, you're back! Welcome!

10 years ago

Oh, they clearly went off of the stereotypical Edgar Allen Poe, as opposed to the actual one, but hey, it's tv, can't expect accuracy there right?

I liked him for the first few episodes. The writing for him began to disappoint during the end (Though I did still love the ending), but I think that it was still very interesting overall. It might not be as good as it should be, given his profession and who he's supposed to be emulating, but it's good nonetheless. 

10 years ago

The WORST Poe cult EVER. This man either has a bullshit poetry interpreter, or is using whatever bullshit gothy knowledge he has of Poe, probably just copypasting the words of his poems onto that chick's body without reading them, or putting them there simply because that's the only reason he WOULD read Poe, or he's using Poe as the worst, corniest, most sloppy-ass bullshit facade for something different, and namedropping Poe and saying "OOOH! I QUOTED THE FUCKING RAVEN! I'M SO FUCKING DARK! I BET ONLY REAL ANALYTIC NERDS EVER READ THAT AND THEY GET MY FUCKING REFERENCES AND IT SHOWS I'M NOT THE RETARDED MALE SERIAL KILLER VERSION OF THE IDIOT NERD GIRL MEME! I BET IS MAKES ME AND MY VIEWERS LOOK SO FUCKING SMART!" Really, it was the blood that kept me going, and I'm almost GLAD it wasn't about a Lovecraft based cult, who knows all the shitstorms that would have caused if the 5-year-old autistic inbred manchildren, the ones who wrote these buckets of moldy fermented pig menstruation, referenced something so intricate and unspoiled, and simply spectacular as his Mythos. I almost fucking CRIED watching it. Surely, SURELY there would be an unspoiled enough mind out there, SOMEWHERE in TV land, that can pay tribute to and not profusely insult one of the great old writers? SURELY you can write a better mystery, stop wasting Poe, and being a disgrace to authors, both of literary works and of television, and make a good bit of media worth watching, that will not only intrigue, rather than repel the fans of the author you're referencing, but actually be something more than a steaming pile of bullshit that wannabe goths and wannabe intellectuals watch when they want to feel dark, or interesting, then reach the harsh reality that they're as stupid and utterly worthless as the show and the people behind it, and go cry in a corner, write Poe on themselves to feel smart, and realize how utterly soulless they are, so they run into a public area, show their new literary bods, and poke holes in their brain with a screwdriver. That's what I really got out of watching The Following.

10 years ago

Sentinel, you're looking at it incorrectly. Don't think of it as a dedicated show that compliments edgar allen poe and tries to stay true to real life and history. Think of it as a TV show. It's much more enjoyable once you forget about the fact that some of the people quoted in the show are actually real, and are having their words butchered. That's not important.

10 years ago

That's my fatal flaw, I can't, I have some strange empathy-activated OCD of sorts, and it makes me want to puke every time I see a guy in a half-assed rubber Poe mask try to club an inspector, or something of the like.

10 years ago

Well, that's a little more. . . emphatic than what I said, but the sentiment is the same.

I seriously doubt the writers ever met an actual professor of literature.

Also, for the messiah of the cult of beauty in death, those were some prosaic killings.  "Stab her, then take the eyes" was really the best they could do?  Yes, maybe it was "realistic" but reality is boring.

I hated Claire.  Hated hated hated that sanctimonious idiot.  First of all, who goes ahead and names their child after their famous serial killer husband?  I was hoping all season that she would turn out to have been part of the cult all along.  Secondly, she kept her job at the college where her husband killed all those people?  And everyone was just kind of all right with that?  And how the hell did she afford that fabulous house?  (Did anyone here ever see We Need to Talk About Kevin?  Much more realistic depiction of the life of the family members of a convicted multiple killer.)

They didn't do enough with the "anyone could be a cultist" idea.  It was like they were going out of their way to never ever suggest that anyone was a cultist, so it would be a big surprise when they were, when what they should have done was have everyone be suspicious all the time.  Ryan should have been constantly paranoid about people being cult members.

I did watch the whole season though.  And I'll probably watch the next season, too.

10 years ago

I did watch the whole season though.  And I'll probably watch the next season, too.

Ah, the power of "Nothing else that's on is really much better, might as well watch this" television.

It is mighty indeed.

I agree with the Claire hate. *High-five

But then again, I also tend to hate most characters who make ridiculously stupid decisions, so of course, I hate most characters. Eh, what are you going to do?

But anyways, I believe that the dislike for her naming her son Joey is unfounded, i'm fairly sure that she had joy before she found out Joe was a serial killer, no?

10 years ago

I was unclear on that.  It kinda seemed like Joe had never met his son.  Okay, let's see: Joe Carroll captured in. . . 2003.  Kyle Catlett was nine years old in 2012, so he was born in. . . 2003.  He was either born right before Joe was captured, or soon after.

And if it was right after, that's just messed up.

Also, if it was just before, it's totally legal to, y'know, change the kid's name to something else. It's not like he'd remember.

I really, really hated Claire.

10 years ago

Hey, Seth!  I saw a trailer for We Need to Talk About Kevin a good while back, and I think I went so far to actually download the movie since it seemed like an interesting premise, but I also think I deleted it without ever watching it. haha  Maybe I will now.

As for The Following, I don't wanna ask too much about it, and everything mentioned aside, would you say it's worth watching?  At least, if I do, is it likely that I'll be disappointed? haha

10 years ago

I would definitely recommend it, I greatly enjoyed the how.

10 years ago

I see a recurring theme in your favorite character interactions, hmm . . . =P

Pleasure to meet you btw!

10 years ago

Hello to you too

10 years ago

Also, House from House

His interaction with literally everything else in the universe made me love the guy. I know that the show wasn't exactly completely accurate (though you'll find that it was extremely well done for a medical tv show, look here: http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html), but that's not the point.

10 years ago

I loved the first couple of seasons, but the last ones didn't feel right. I still love doctor House no matter how crappy the rest of the show got though =)

10 years ago

I loved House!  Still do, in fact. haha  I disagree that the show got crappy over time though.  I'm actually in the opposite camp; I thought the earlier episodes weren't nearly as good as some of the later ones.  Particularly, early on the character of House wasn't very well developed and it appeared as though the writers just wanted to create a base jerk-off smart guy... or, like they knew what they wanted, but the voice of House (as the character was written) was just lazily done.  Wilson was a generic nice guy, House was a generic smart asshole, the crew was okay.. but, I don't know, I couldn't get into because as I watched the show, all I heard were decent actors working off of a poor script.  And I know I shouldn't expect to have great depth and personality shine through every character on the first few episodes (or seasons, sometimes), but it's not like it can't be done - The Walking Dead comes to mind.  I thought their characters were brilliantly written, in that they came off as real human beings (bar the second episode, where Andria and the rest were also kind of written stock stereotype-somethings, though they came to develop very very quickly throughout that short 6 episode season).

Anyway, but as House progressed, I thought it reached a decent leveling off, where I was now actually invested in the characters and the early crew, being that they were more relatable in the fluidity of their characters.  Nothing too deep or intense, but I bought the idea that they were people and not just actors reading lines.  And finally, toward the end, when people around House start dying, people he pretends not to care about, you see him fall deeper into his misery.  His addiction grows stronger, his internal conflicts are more powerful and taxing on him, and it shows really well, I think.  He's torn between his outward appearance and his inner desires, and it often takes him to the point where is don't-give-a-fuck meter malfunctions and he becomes self-destructive.  I thought the later seasons, at least as far as the character of House goes, were freakin excellent. haha 

10 years ago

My favorite character interaction, or at least the one that sticks out most prominently in my mind in this moment, is between Doctor Frankenstein and his creature.  Particularly, in Danny Boyle's production of Frankenstein for the Royal National Theatre.  I had to go watch this play for a class I took freshman year in college, and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever experienced, haha as far watchables goes.  The characters were so brilliantly performed!.. I had no idea this had happened, but in the middle of the play, the lead actors playing Frankenstein and his creature actually switch roles and whoever was playing the creature in the first half would now be playing Frankenstein in the second.  These guys were so good, I didn't even notice the change.

But that aside, the entire thing was just amazing.  As it begins, you see the birth of the creature from inside some sort of cocoon, where his adult mind is for the time flooded with sensations and experience of life and the world.  There's fear, shock, and curiosity on his face - he's like an infant.  But, in this play, he learns extraordinarily quickly as he wanders about the world (though, remember, he's still a "monster" and will be treated as one).  In a matter of minutes, he's crawling, starts to walk and fumble about, and run...  And the most exciting aspect of the character is that he has a voice, and as he navigates within his world he questions and wonders, innocently at first, but when he experiences violence and hatred, and eventually a neglect or dereliction from god or his "creator," Frankenstein (who he meets later), he becomes bitter and menacing (though it's questionable how blameworthy he actually is). But it's when he and Frankenstein meet that he delivers the most powerful lines.  He's become well knowledged in religious dealings, philosophical works, etc, and he wants to meet his creator and ask him real shit. haha  Frankenstein himself is whole other kind of dickbag, and he is awesome as well.

Watching that was like putting my mind in a blender for 3 and a half hours, but.. like, in a really good way. haha

10 years ago

43 posts in and no love for Shawn and Gus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16VrqUEdyTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JpPYoA2BPA

Psych is the greatest, I'm completely spoiled on it and all 'buddy (sort of) cops' shows have an impossible standard to reach from now on and forever. Half the time I don't even care about the mysteries, I just love watching them interact...though the entire cast is fantastic, honestly.

edit: UGH how do links work here this place is weird