Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

An easier way?

10 years ago

My story has the consumption of adult beverages in it, and instead of just telling the player they drink whatever is handed to them, I want to make the drinks items.  Each time they 'use' the drink, their drunkenness score would increase.  (and if it passes a certain threshold, they'd pass out)

I did more reading on the variables and the only way I could see to do it would be painfully repetitive.

I'd have to set the effect on the item (If 'martini' is used on 'page 1' go to 'page 1 drink'.  'Page 1 drink' would have the user text (you take a drink of the martini) and the script on that page would be 'drunkenness +10' and then I'd have to link back to 'page 1'.  The problem is, I'd have to repeat those steps for all, like 200 pages in my story, multiple times because the player picks up a drink on at least half the pages

Does anyone know of a better way to accomplish this?

An easier way?

10 years ago

Well, their's no way for the program to know in which pages beer can be drunk, soo no. Its actually that difficult. After every beer page, you can add that page. And all you have to do is add that in in x page, item beer can be used and will make you go to page 1

An easier way?

10 years ago

Does it help that the drink can be used on all pages, once it's picked up?  Is there some sort of global script I could use?

An easier way?

10 years ago

You could use default effect..

An easier way?

10 years ago

But then how would I get the player back to the page they were at?  If they hit the back button, they lose their score. 

An easier way?

10 years ago

Basically, you'd have the page where you drink the booze have a previous page link. 

An easier way?

10 years ago

Wow, talk about over thinking it.  I forgot there is a link for previous page that doesn't make you go 'back', undoing your last action.

Okay, now the issue on how to make using the item increase the score.  I know how to increase the score when the player selects a link, but how do I increase the score when they use the item?  I imagine I'd have to go to the default use item page and add a increase variable script.  The variable is called "Drunkenness", would anyone know what the script was if I wanted it to increase by 10 each time the item was used?

An easier way?

10 years ago

Update: I applied the "Add # to score' effect on the 'previous' link, that seems to work.  Again with the over-thinking.  That's why it takes me 12 hours for every dungeon in Zelda...