Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

English Project

10 years ago

For my personalized english project I have decided to create a novel which involves certain philosophical aspects. Since all of you on this site come from different places in the world, you may similar views on topics.

Would you mind telling me your:

1) Region of origin (im not a stalker trust me)

2) Personal and regional views of: women, darkness, light, death, origins of the universe and humans.

thanks for your cooperation.

N

Note: i will take full advantage of your answers to get a good grade. Im sorry if i seem like an immoral stalker who may also be a child molester

English Project

10 years ago

PM you the info or just write it down here?

English Project

10 years ago

It doesnt matter. I just wrote it in the forums to get others attention

English Project

10 years ago

1. America. That's a region right?

2. (In order from left to right as your post follows.) Personal views, no idea about regional.

1. Equal and needed for human survival.

2. Tis dark, do you mean evil? G&E are terms and while morality is a good thing to talk about there isn't really a good or evil person. Just people with different opinions no matter how extreme.

3. Tis bright, also usually represents good.

4. Tis dead, also used in many cultures and horror stories.

5. I doubt the big-bang but beyond that my theory is subject to change as things make more or less sense to me. :)

6. Origin of humans or just Humans in general? We evolved and we are the stupid dominant species of the planet right now. (At least until the penguins finally defeat the mustaches.)

English Project

10 years ago

Hello mister immoral child molester stalker. (You can get a pretty funny sentence depending on how you say that, haha!)

Well, first off i'll have to point out that i'm an atheist, so I will have no way to contribute any sort of religious point of view.

Second, if you want to base this novel out of certain philosophical aspects, you would probably be better off studying philosophers instead of asking people in a storygame forum. I would personally recommend Immanuel Kant or Thomas Hobbes.

Now, for the questions:

1) Albania

2) (In order)

Women: Other people, a certain number of which I would like to do some things to that I would rather not disclose here.

Darkness: I find darkness calming, cozy, safe, peaceful... I enjoy it, and being in it. Night is also, of course, my favorite time of day, because all the fun things happen at night :)

Light: It helps me see better, but I have no real like or dislike for light.

Death: I fear death, like all human beings. It scares me... I told you that i'm an Atheist, so you should know that when I think of death, I think of everything that I ever was ending, my body turning into worm-food, and time passing by until everything that I was, even memories of me, simply die out. I don't and never have known my great-grandfather's name, my ancestors are lost to me and my father and even my grandfather, their disappearance is more than enough for me to know that everything I ever accomplish will likely not be enough for me to be remembered after death. A few years will pass and everyone who knew me would simply die in turn.
Everything we do, everything we accomplish, everything, in the end means nothing, since we will all die, all our children will die, all our grandchildren will die, and eventually, the human race will die. Such is life and it's cost, the cost that knowing no matter what you will ever do, it's all nothing in the end.

Unless, of course, my plans on becoming immortal pan through, in which case, fuck that shit.

But, until then, my thoughts on death are above. It is what humbles all life, and what drives men to try to rise to greatness, in an attempt to not simply become another of the billions of faceless, nameless, meaningless dead that we will all eventually become. It's not as if anything is left of us when we die, we simply cease to be. So enjoy life while you can live it, because one day... well, one day it's all going to be gone.

Origins of the universe: I'll accept whatever theory makes the most sense, and so far that's the big bang theory.

Sort of.

I mean, I don't really understand it all that well (How everything in the universe can be condensed into one tiny pinprick, and how the universe is expanding kind of muddles my brain: How can the universe expand if the universe is everything in existence? If it expands, is reality stretching out? Is new "Existence" being created? What happens if you reach the edge?

What happens after you cross it?)

But it's the best explanation so far (I simply refuse to accept any creationist or religious explanation for the creation of the universe) so i'll stick to that.

Humans: We're a species that was lucky enough to be graced with long life, intelligence, self awareness, enjoyable sex, opposable thumbs, we're awesome. We're also destructive, corrupt, hateful, petty, ignorant, greedy, selfish and we fail to co-operate. 

You win some and you lose some. Whatever.

I respect our race, we've accomplished so much in so little a time. We're honestly just amazing. But we're too split, we're too isolated from each other, and eventually I think it's going to destroy us. 

And on that happy note, have fun with this; child molester stalker.

English Project

10 years ago

"I told you that i'm an Atheist, so you should know that when I think of death, I think of everything that I ever was ending, my body turning into worm-food, and time passing by until everything that I was, even memories of me, simply die out."

Ah, but this is precisely what I find so fascinating! Now, I am an Agnostic. I have no effing clue what happens to us. But when I do consider atheism, I consider this: Let's say we know for absolute certainty there is no form of life or anything similar after death. There is no such thing as a "soul". And yet--we STILL are never gone forever!! First, the definition of conservation of mass: mass can neither be created or destroyed. So when our bodies do begin to decompose, we do remain in some sense. We simply....transform. We ultimately become soil, which helps plants grow, which helps animals grow, which in turn can help more humans again. Now, some people don't consider this enough. That's fine! There's more! Our particles continuously bounce around the universe until the end of time. There are molecules around you right now that once brushed against a neanderthal millenias ago. Every time an atom passes you by, the electrons never quite touching, it continues infinitely across time and space--in a way carrying a piece of you with it. I'm sorry, I just think its so exciting!!

On a more philosophical note: Maybe (just maybe) our thoughts and our memories never cease to exist. Now, obviously, when our brain dies, we lose all access to these things. No one else can attain them, and we are too dead to do anything with them. HOWEVER--can something that isn't tangible ever truly die?? Perhaps they become lost--like ancient history--but they're still THERE. Locked away forever, but never dead. Ahhhhh I'm going to shut up now before I overload my mind!
EDIT: I'm sorry you guys...I got a little too excited.....I'm far too enthusiastic about philosophy

English Project

10 years ago

What makes up your body remains, sure, but it is taken apart, deconstructed, eventually made into something that is unrecognizable as you. Not that it matters, because when you die, everything that mattered about you ended. Everything that made you, you was destroyed forever, and therefore you yourself are gone, forever. 

Really, that people attach any importance to dead bodies is quite puzzling, their loved ones are no longer there, it's just a rotting sack of meat that used to be their loved ones. After that, it's nothing, it's nameless, meaningless.

I honestly couldn't care less what happens to my body after death, i'll be dead. My thoughts, opinions, desires, hates, they'll all be gone. My conscious mind and it's contents will be wiped from the face of existence, I will become nothing.

And to your philosophical note: That sounds more like the wishful thinking that I personally believe lead to religion in the first place, the desire to think that there is something after you die, the desire to think that your life has meaning, the desire to think that you won't simply one day cease to be, in every sense of the word.

English Project

10 years ago

Actually if you want to look at it right athiesm kind of follows a reincarnation cycle. lol

English Project

10 years ago

Nothing even remotely related to atheism allows for reincarnation.

English Project

10 years ago

You die, your body becomes part of the world, what was yours becomes say part of a plant that is eaten which ect... Technically you could end up as a duck but never realize it. 

As long as what you were made of became something living later on then yes it would be related to reincarnation since you died and came back to life.

English Project

10 years ago

Reincarnation is the rebirth of your consciousness, your mind, your essence, just in a different body. Your body being dissembled into something that later lives means nothing, because no part of you is actually in that other living creature. Your mind is still gone, your body means nothing.

English Project

10 years ago

I was just adding my thoughts to the subject. And I'm not remotely religious. I wasn't saying that's what I believe, but that its one of the many ideas I have pondered. I try to think of things from all different views.

English Project

10 years ago

1) Australia

2) women are awesome. They have boobs!

darkness is fun! It makes you hidden

light is good as well but dark is better ;)

death is an interesting topic. It peaks my curiosity as well as scaring me.

origins of the universe. That would take me a while to explain to you. I have many theories.

English Project

10 years ago

"women are awesome. They have boobs!

darkness is fun! It makes you hidden"

Why does this make me dislike you I wonder. lol Also you missed the human part.

English Project

10 years ago

Because you're a woman?

English Project

10 years ago

*Shoots drak* Why do people think I'm a woman?

English Project

10 years ago

Are you a woman? Yes, dark places... Boobs... Ass... pussy

English Project

10 years ago

No, I'm not.

English Project

10 years ago

Huh. Why do people say you are then?

English Project

10 years ago

Canada (more Specifically Southern Ontario)

Women - Should be treated equally, but my fucking god do they act entitled. Like you need to treat them like a woman WHILE attempting to treat them equally (which no, does not work).

Darkness - Nothingness

Light - Brightness

Origins = Big bang I guess. Don't really see a point in caring too much.

English Project

10 years ago

United States, Iowa

Women, equal

Darkness, Calming, makes it easier to sleep

Light, Source of life

Death, A ending. Fighting it is foolish all things end.

Origins of the Universe, don't know.

Origins of Humans evolution.

Also I believe if we don't get rid of nuclear weapons the apes will take over like in planet of the apes ;)

English Project

10 years ago

I think you REALLY should do some research on the philosophical views of Carl Jung--he has an answer for every subject you brought up. I also am a personal fan of Soren Kierkegaard's work (but hey, we're both Danes, what can I say?)

1. Region of Origin: Murrica

2. Views on women: Well....I'm a woman. I think we're pretty cool. But seriously I think males and females are equal in all ways, and should have equal rights, etc etc. This goes both for males who think they are better than females, as well as females who assume all men are stupid pigs. We're all just people and aside from certain biological limitaions, we are capable of the same things.

3. Darkness: I grew up absolutely terrified of the dark. Now, I also faced a lot of adversity during my childhood. Ultimately, I decided to face my fears and not only put up with the darkness, but accept it. I love the night, the moon, the shadows, and the stars. They bring me comfort. What we truly fear is what could be IN the dark--not the darkness in and of itself.

4. Light: Light tends to have the connotation of being good, wholesome, holy, etc. Quite frankly, I just view it as the scientific thing it is XD Different colors and spectrums and whatnot. However, if I WERE to look at it in the metaphorical way, I'd say it honestly lives up to the assumptions. My personal favorite symbol is a single light in the darkness--someone good guiding others who may be lost.

5. Death: I do not know what happens after death. I fully and completely accept this. The most I can do is speculate. Perhaps there is a god, perhaps there is nothing, perhaps we remain in some sort after death, or perhaps we simply rot. Frankly, I /prefer/ to believe that there is something waiting for us after death. I know its unlikely, but I like to have faith in that possibility anyway--because truly we know nothing for certain, and I think it is arrogant to make any hard claims. I choose not to fear death, because honestly it only exists when I do not.

6. Origins of the universe: I do believe in the big bang theory. This does not make me an atheist. I personally am an agnostic--but I do believe science and religion can coexist. I also believe in evolution. I believe that it is /possible/ some higher force or being orchestrated all of this to happen--I do not know.

7 Humans: My favorite! I consider myself to be what is known as a Humanist. Essentially, this means I believe that ALL people are inherently good. I love all people, faults included. I believe every damn one of us is equal, and it is heartbreaking to me when we tear one another down. My main goal in life, and my driving force of motivation, is to help as many people as I can to the very best of my ability. I like to take the time and just think how silly some of our humanity is. We get upset when we lose money, but how does this affect the rest of the world? The universe? Only a very tiny group is affected. We all make mistakes. None of us can fully understand our world, our universe. We are who we are, and that isn't going to change. Perhaps it will ultimately be the end of us--but it also is what has kept us surviving and pushing forward for so long. I love everyone.

Sorry this is so long! I know I sound like a hippie....I'm not O.O Honest......*scuttles away*

English Project

10 years ago

1: Somewhere in the northwestern hemisphere, if you're up for tracking my lineage, somwhere in the northeastern hemisphere.

2: In order:

Women are strange, unreasonably complicated, logical, intelligent creatures that the usually less intelligent males have the vice of being attracted to, unless they're gay, in which case they're lucky, but also unlucky too.

Darkness is fun to be in, there's not much else hat can be said except that most of te universe is enveloped in it, and if you're good at being in it, you can kill people.

Light is something that helps you see better. It's also something that computers emit that allows you to read this,

Death is a very intriguing concept. I'm not even going to try and say I think I know what comes after, and I'm just hoping like crazy something does. It's very intriguing indeed. It's the ultimate mystery, something that no one's in a hurry to solve, it's the most spectaular enigma, something that the hard-hearted prod, that criminals invoke, and the prudes fear, that the daredevils tempt, and that the philosophers bang their heads against trying to figure out, and scientists shrug and tread past as simple shit that happens. Death is the event horizon on earth, and it's not something one really should take lightly, although everyone does to keepfrom fearing it.

The origins of the universe? Well, at the center of existence, Azathoth was having indigestion, and he puked it all up on the spot. I seriously have no fucking idea, there's the theory that all life is a simulation, that we're holograms being played through a series of frames, there's the theory that we're a bunch of complex vibrations caused by tiny bands smaller than the quarks that make up atoms. There's the belief that a pinprick exploded out of the nothingness, and there's the belief that, in helping out the theory of relativity in order to make the math work, that perpetual internal inflation, in other words, a multi-universe/multiverse, filled to the brim with billions of universes parallell to ours,  and still expanding as our universe is, is what's beyond the rim of the tiny black marble full of dark matter that our galaxies call home. There could have been something, be it a god or other science force, that put the rules in place for this to spontaneously begin, but, I only have 4 words left: Fucked if I know.

English Project

10 years ago

1) Region of origin: Greece, Mani (though I live near Athens)

2) Personal views of:

Women: Some are great people to hang out with, some are jerks. Same goes with dudes. But what you don't do with a dude is what you do with a girl you wanna do. 
Seriously now, I believe the role of women in society should be equal to that of a man but due to social values and traditions, the role of a woman should be different than that of a man's

Darkness: Sometimes its calming, sometimes its scary and other times depressing. Depends with my mood.

Light: His motives were pure at first but then he thought he could become God and turned into a massive dick. He also killed L (indirectly) which makes me hate him even more.

Death: Death is a state we all learn how to live with (oh the irony) during our time here. What you love shall be gone, and so will you, sooner or later, but alas you've got to keep going. This does not mean that grief is wrong. Grief is natural and part of what makes us, humans.

Suicide is a horribly and immoral thing to do.

Origins of the universe and humans: I am a Christian Orthodox. That says it all. However, I am moderate in my beliefs and believe scientific discoveries are the answers to "how" and not to "who" or "why". "Who" and "why" are questions that can not be answered and are purely a subject of belief.

P.S: That is one f'd up project...

English Project

10 years ago

"Light: His motives were pure at first but then he thought he could become God and turned into a massive dick. He also killed L (indirectly) which makes me hate him even more."

Talking about the character rather than, you know, light.

Lol'd.