Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Veterans day

10 years ago
Happy Veterans day to all of our service men and women. Past, present, and departed. You will never be forgotten. It was such an honor to have gotten to know all of you in our time together and I personally say a prayer everyday for those of you still in Uniform and for those considering it.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Happy Veteran day to all. I personally thank those for their services in protecting the freedom that we as American enjoy today.

Veterans day

10 years ago

You guys mean A.N.Z.A.C day right? :D I'm just messing with ya! To all who fought and died in the world wars 1&2!

Veterans day

10 years ago
And Revelutionary, French Indian, Spanish American, 1812, Civil, WWI&II, vietnam, Korea, Desert Storm, And all of our other major incursions, and to everyone that's ever put a uniform on for this country for any reason.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Idk why French and Indian was seen as an American war. I get that it took place using colonial forces, but at the time they were happily British citizens :P. I count Revolutionary onward as American wars

Veterans day

10 years ago

What about the British troops? Any consideration for them? Two world wars together and many more recent, the revolutionary war and the war of 1812 is an old feud from imperial Britain and power hungry America,  Remembrance day/Veterans day is important to remember USA and UK fought together and put the past behind them,, my respects to heroes of all the allied nations of world war 1 and 2 

Veterans day

10 years ago

Lol 1812 was when Britain refused to acknowledge American sailors as American so started kidnapping them and forcing them to serve the British Navy (in their minds America wasn't a real nation still). 

But back on the topic, I agree that the veterans of other nations definately deserve to be honored for their service. But in an American Holiday, Americans are going to honor Americans. I'm sure in the equivalent in other nations people don't say "but guys, let's thank the Americans" :P. But hey, they actually could for all I know, America still has an isolationist mindset for the most part.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Remembrance day was yesterday in England I watched it on bbc and as the queen lay the first reef to commemorate the soldiers she was followed by all the allies of Britain who fought in the war canada was first to lay there's down followed by Australia and many more, it was all about the allied nations not just us.. And the commentator said the Americans aren't hear as they do not celebrate remberance day with us.. Which I jus dnt understand 

Veterans day

10 years ago

...... And you didn't think that your commentator didn't know what s/he was saying when he stated that? When we talk about WWI&II, we always talk about the Allied death. But today is in remembrance for the American deaths, nothing to do with you guys. 

Your commentator was probably hard-core anti-american, especially how s/he stated that America was powerhungry in the war of 1812 (which is somewhat stupid, as Bo explained)

Veterans day

10 years ago

The commentator didn't state that America was power hungry during 1812,, but they wanted to create an empire of there own and they wanted canada to be part if that empire.. But failed,, I think both country's should celebrate it it was Britain and America that was most decisive on the western front

Veterans day

10 years ago

Lol America did NOT want Canada at the time. Back then they could barely afford to manage their own territory, let alone expand into a territory as big as Canada. If you go back and look at the major battles, the American forces would fight the British forces that invaded from Canada, but refused to push into Canada.

Also look up a term called impressment, which started the war.

But Aman is right when we remember all the allies from WWI and WWII. During history classes we were constantly reminded of the death tolls that each of the countries took (it even had it in my JROTC class, which is an American military program). Veterans day is simply for American veterans.

Veterans day

10 years ago

To every soldier, and family that had a family member who was in the army I thank you for your service.

Veterans day

10 years ago

To every veteran in every country, I thank you. Americans aren't the only ones who served their country. And yes I am an American.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Pretty sure most countries have their own veterans day.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Actually giving a damn. (not sarcasm)

Veterans day

10 years ago

Thats basically how I feel

*Uses non enthusiastic voice*

Cool

-Everyone assumes I hate America and calls me a terrorist for being sarcastic or something-
^Thats normally how it works, simply because I don't yell at the top of my lungs or physically thank someone.

Veterans day

10 years ago

I shame people who assume shit like that!

Veterans day

10 years ago
what are you referring to BZ?

Veterans day

10 years ago

Referring to actually giving Veteran's Day a second thought and acknowledging it in some way.

Veterans day

10 years ago
oh. I. getcha. Thanks bud. :)

Veterans day

10 years ago

Kind of odd how we (Canada) have Remembrance day, and you guys call it Veterans day instead, when we're doing the same thing.

Oh nvm, you guys are remembering the ones who survived, and we're remembering the ones that died. Odd.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yeah, we have a memorial day, and veterans day

Veterans day

10 years ago

Britain share rememberance day with Canada,, Canada was one of our most important allies

Veterans day

10 years ago

Happy veterans/remembrance day. :) 

Veterans day

10 years ago

For yesterday?!

Veterans day

10 years ago

It's today actually.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yesterday's today is tomorrow ;)

Veterans day

10 years ago

Canada was practically the only country defending Poland by the end of the war XD. Not even the British were in there. That's bravery, especially considering they were all over the Soviet Union's toes.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yeh, Canada was a major factor in the axis powers defeat, there really underestimated as a nation, America came guna blazing and were VERY successful even though it did take 4 years for em to come, I wouldn't go as far as saying America saved are ass  but they wrapped the conflict up pretty quick n lost few battles

Veterans day

10 years ago

All I'm saying was that the French and British were forced onto an Island, and then America dominated on two theaters and the war ended ;).

But yeah, America took a while to get in there. But that was mainly because it was a European war, and telling your people that you're risking potentially millions of deaths for a war that you have no reason to be in doesn't go over too well. Our leaders wanted to be in the war, but they needed the support of the people, which didn't come until we were attacked.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Defending Poland? From what? Pretty sure Poland fell.... when the war began :P. (well not instantly, the showed great resistance, even when they were occupied. Glory to all who fought their invaders.)

Veterans day

10 years ago

Poland kept on fighting after Germany had to retreat. The Soviet Union helped liberate the western half... and then never left ;)

Veterans day

10 years ago

I know about the Polish resistance, even mentioned. I am also well aware about the Soviet "liberation" of E.Europe. I just can't see how Canada kept the fight on since they weren't at war with the SU if that is what you meant...

Veterans day

10 years ago

The same way that American and Soviet troops killed each other during the Cold War. Battles never happened, but people happened to die and machines of war happened to be destroyed. Look up some of the Canadian tank battles in Poland, it's actually really cool.

Veterans day

10 years ago

I work at a nursing home for people with Alzheimers. Almost all of our men are vets. It was awesome getting to thank them all in person! Thanks to all

Veterans day

10 years ago

Do you know what people really forget about though? The poor Germans who were forced to fight for Germany... That's what I kinda hate about remembrance/ Veterans Day. Nobody thinks about the 'bad' guys.

Veterans day

10 years ago

They were not "forced" to fight, the german army willingly followed Hitler's orders. Just because they weren't nazis does not mean they weren't enemy soldiers.

Veterans day

10 years ago

There were many who were not willing to fight though, being forced to do so by the nazis. And even if they did fight willingly we should still remember them regardless.

Veterans day

10 years ago

The Nazis were a very minor number of germans compared to the the entire country and the army, they had neither the power or the numbers to force an entire army to fight for them.

And you don't praise your enemies :p

Veterans day

10 years ago

Who said they were my enemies? I'm Australian and German, who tha fuq do I go for? :P I just say both.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Then have fun on German remembrance day (Should it exist), but don't expect countries that were attacked by Germany to shed tears over dead German soldiers.

Veterans day

10 years ago

That's kind of funny, considering the number of countries attacked by the US. No offense.

Veterans day

10 years ago

None taken, I'm Canadian (and have a healthy dislike of the U.S military)

If you want irony, you should hear about the American soldier's treatment of the women in the concentration camps they "liberated", or you should hear about how the German invading army was among one of te least oppressive and brutal army forces ever. They were actually extremely kind, all things considered.

Veterans day

10 years ago

They actually were doing really good things, actually if my facts are correct they actually helped Poland in the first few years before Hitler went crazy.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Hehehe, said actually three times there...

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yeah, the soldiers were just normal people, not superviolent and hateful Nazis :P. After all, according to Hitler's propaganda they were simply uniting their German ethnic regions, so they had no reason to be aweful people before Hitler lost his shit

Veterans day

10 years ago

I think it is strange that we fought a dictator who was the cause of millions of deaths, with another dictator.

Veterans day

10 years ago

It's time to fight dictatorship with dictatorship, because EMBRACE DEMOCRACY OR DEMOCRACY WILL EMBRACE YOU WITH ITS GUN-LADEN ARMS!

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yes, cause the reason of that war was "to free people from a dictator". That is what wars are about, not about profits. Though to be fair, when it comes to WWII most countries were actually defending. In Greece for example we weren't fighting against Nazism as the U.S said it did, we were repelling Italian forces which dared to attack us. Our plan war neutrality till we were forced to join the allies.

Veterans day

10 years ago

They were "Forced" because Japanese planes, although it was safe to say they weren't too keen on Italy or Japan to begin with. But America showed them! They made NUKES!... And then people forgot all about the man in the Kremlin who made sure the Concentration Camps never shut down until they pulled him out of that magical red castle in a bodybag, and everyone eternally mocked the racist fuck who wore a soul patch on the wrong lip, and lived happily ever after... But then some assholes started another war.

Veterans day

10 years ago

That's politics for you.

Veterans day

10 years ago

I thought you were Shqiptar.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yes, but I don't live there ;)

Veterans day

10 years ago

And you consider yourself Canadian? That's odd. Were you born in Canada/raised there? Cause that would make things clear.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Raised for the greater part of my life here, but most of my family lives in Albania, and I still visit them rather frequently, speak the language rather well (Though I can't write in it worth shit).

Moved away from there when I was relatively young.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Oh ok then, so you feel Albanian or Canadian?

Veterans day

10 years ago

Well, despite the patriotic jokes that I make I don't actually really care, like, at all about my nationality, so neither, I guess.

Veterans day

10 years ago

The Germans were only really forced by the end. At the beginning, all things considered, Hitler actually seemed like a good idea, considering the fact that he seemed to not only fix the economy but take on some of the world's most powerful superpowers and whoop their asses until the USSR and USA got involved. Near the end, when he was drafting old men and children to fight, was when it was forced. But before that, even the non-nazis supported Hitler and wanted to join in the military.

Veterans day

10 years ago

See Drake, told you ;)

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yeah, you told me that Hitler forced an entire country to fight for him against their will. They didn't. They fought willingly.

When they started losing, they didn't want to fight anymore. I see nothing here that supports you saying that the German soldiers who died didn't fight for Hitler willingly.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Saying that they didn't wish to fight when the war was ending isn't true really, though I just love how people are trying to tell us that "it was this 1 guy who tricked millions into killing people, no one actually supported him". It is like the Turks saying "It wasn't us, it was the Osman dynasty"

Veterans day

10 years ago

Well, I agree witht the Ottoman thing because it was an entirely different government and they didn't do it themselves (just like even though I admit that slavery is wrong, I refuse to take blame for slavery as I don't own slaves). But yeah, people knew what was going on (you could smell the stench of rotting bodies for miles around Auschwitz), they just didn't do it out of a mixture of nationalism and (toward the end) fear.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yeah, and also that experiment where they got people to electrocute a puppy because a guy in a labcoat told them to. They weren't forced to electrocute the puppy, but somebody of great power told them to, so they electrocuted the damn puppy.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Fun story from first grade.

It was Veteran's Day and the teacher took time out to mention it and then asked us if any of us had a relative who was in the the military. Naturally just about everyone did and in typical fashion everyone eagerly threw up their hands to mention it. And the teacher kept saying to everyone that they can honor that relative today.

The thing was everyone also mentioned a relative who had died in some war (usually WW2) which lead to some confusion on my part.

ME: My grandfather was a sergeant in Vietnam.

TEACHER: Oh good, that means you can honor him today.

ME: But I can't!

TEACHER: (shocked) Why not?

ME: He's not dead yet!

TEACHER: (mad at me) That doesn't matter! You can still honor him while alive!

ME: Oh, okay.

My grandfather actually thought it was funny when I told him what happened though.

I wasn't only one who got confused that day though since everyone was mentioning a dead relative, a girl named Catherine thought everyone was supposed to mention one regardless of military background.

CATHY: My grandmother died.

TEACHER: That has nothing to do with what we're talking about. (Quickly points to another raised hand)

In retrospect it's probably amazing that Cathy didn't start crying. Lol.

Veterans day

10 years ago

What a bitch, lol.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Well, my grandpa was part of the greatest troll in war history, which explains a lot (aside from the people who made wooden bombs to drop on fake planes and camel-poop mines. *true story*) he and his comrades went about blowing up inflatable tanks and other vehicles, then went to towns and said that if anyone stepped outside, they'd get their asses blown to holy hell. then they played recordings of said vehicles' engines, so it would sound like the city was surrounded by tanks and huge guns, and went on their merry way marching without being interfered with. When they were done, and before anyone could figure out what was going on, they packed up in the middle of the night and left.

Veterans day

10 years ago

That happened fairly often, actually. It was done during D-Day to make the Germans think the Allies were invading elsewhere

Veterans day

10 years ago

Just noticed that Drakoblare seems to believe that America entered WWII for profit. 

Let me get one thing straight, I'm far from a perfect patriot, but I'm a realist and I know for DAMN sure that no Allied nation entered that war for profit. Germany and Japan did it for territory, which can be interpreted as profit I suppose, However, No nation profited from that war. It brought some out of the Great Depression, and it ended with the Americans with Nukes, but there was no way that they would have known these events would have happened when the Americans entered the war five years earlier.

That being said, America was not innocent in entering the war. We weren't some helpless country attacked by Japan out of the blue. FDR seriously wanted to enter the war already to support our allies in Europe and stop possible dangers to our Pacific Imperialistic territories.  FDR made certain strides to make sure Japan was angered enough to attack. He cut their supply of oil and scrap metal, which left them practically incapable of developing any real military or industrial assets (the Pacific Islands that Japan then controlled did not have the Industrial base to support the Japanese empire). So we knew that a Japanese attack was coming that wold bring us into the war, we just didn't know when.

So yes, FDR entered the war intentionally, but it wasn't for profit. It was because he saw the need to support England in the defeat of Hitler and Hirohito, or else otherwise we would have very few allies left.

Veterans day

10 years ago

I guess "profit" was a bad way to phrase it. What I meant is that no one attacked Hitler to "STOP DEM EVUL NAZIS", it was because of other reasons, either to gain money, eliminate a potential threat or outright control.

Veterans day

10 years ago

You would be correct. The Americans wanted to a.) stop a threat to their imperial territories (Japan) and b.) keep their European allies intact so they could assert political influence.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Oh yeah, no one gave a shit about Jewish people. Most of the world was pretty damn anti-semetic at the time.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Where did he say the war was fought for profit? I see him specifically stating otherwise, actually.

Veterans day

10 years ago

How about.

We stop having little debates in the replies.

And just go with "people die in war, we should probably remember them"

Veterans day

10 years ago

Some people don't deserve to be remembered.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Thats an opinion.

*EDIT* Even if they died for an odd/ *evil* cause. If you don't remember what caused it in the first place you can't remind others to not do the same by pointing at those who opposed them.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Very well, it's my opinion, and your own opinion is also an opinion, so if you want to tell us to stop discussing something with others then tell us why your opinion matters more than our own.

Veterans day

10 years ago

I never stated mine was better, I stated we needed to stop debating and gave my opinion.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Why should we stop having debates? Do you know what a a discussion where everyone agrees sounds like?

It's fucking boring, that's what.

I.e:

Me: "Says something"

The rest of the forum: "Yup"

And then silence forever.

Screw stopping our debates, they're entertaining and sometimes they can be rather intelligent conversations.

Veterans day

10 years ago

They help people learn, as well. I've learned a shit ton over the years here.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Your do realize that your debating with Drak about debating in the forums?

Veterans day

10 years ago
on my thread too :) lmao.

Veterans day

10 years ago

How does this thread need a fucking debate?

It literally just says "Hey everyone in uniform has my prayers"< not an exact quote.

Why it should have any sort of argument is retarded.

Veterans day

10 years ago

I seriously had to reread that, for a moment I thought it said "Hey everyone in UNDERWEAR has my prayers"

Veterans day

10 years ago

Those too

Veterans day

10 years ago

Why not? Why wouldn't we have a discussion?

Veterans day

10 years ago

"Happy Veterans day" Original poster,

If the thread was made for that, then why spend it arguing with others.

Veterans day

10 years ago

Why not? Give an actual reason that having a discussion based off of veterans day shouldn't be had.

Veterans day

10 years ago

If I had an event honoring me, I wouldn't want everyone at it debating why I did certain things or what or what isn't morally right.

That would be like going to a parade and arguing with one of the veterans there that he was in it for the money or something.

Veterans day

10 years ago

It's absolutely nothing like that, that is a terrible (Nonsensical) comparison. There are no veterans here, we aren't directly questioning them, we aren't bad-mouthing them, we aren't accusing them of doing anything more than their jobs. You are being a touchy bastard who is trying to halt conversation because you feel like it, with apparently absolutely no idea what that discussion was in the first place.

And i'll note that the OP, an american soldier, has been participating in this conversation and has not given half of a shit as to it's nature, so yes, you are being overly sensitive, because when the person you say should be insulted, isn't fucking insulted, you're the one that's wrong.

Hell, the OP was the one who started the damn discussion

You know, about three posts after he said "Happy Veteran's day"

Veterans day

10 years ago

Yeah, I mean no one here has said we shouldn't honor those who died, as far as I can tell. We've debated whether or not the Germans were innocent, why Americans only honor Americans on veterans day, and a few others, but I haven't seen anyone say "Fuck our veterans, they served our country and so should die"