Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago

I know this sounds really similar to (if not congruent with) other posts on this forum, but I'm currently writing a new story, and I'd like some opinions on it before I write too much. Bear with me, while I begin my ramble....

I'll give you a rundown of the basic storyline. This is a story, historical fiction, about four characters and their struggles in early 20th-century America. This story is meant to revolve around the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire disaster of 1912, and how it affected those around them. Forgive me, I know I'm not selling the story well  D: I just don't want to give away too much.

Based on just what I've told you, I want to get your opinion of how you'd like the story. Like I said earlier, this is a story, so don't expect a branching storyline of choices, if there is one at all. Also, this is a historical fiction, which I understand isn't a favorite genre for lots of people. I dunno about you guys, the readers, but I personally enjoy these genres; but it doesn't really matter what think, you're the ones I want to please :)

If you like:

1. Historical Accuracy
  2. Stories, not so much CYOAs
  3. Multiple plots
  4. Historical Fiction

You will probably like this game.

Thanks for your input!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a side note, I'd also like to state that if you've seen my first (and so far only) story game, I'll give you some good news: this story will not be like that one. That story was basically for the purpose of learning, and this new one that I am writing right now has undergone extensive planning (as you can tell, that last one was just made up as I went along). Breathe a sigh of relief!

To give you a better view of this story, I can tell you this: it's going to be a dark, serious story (nothing morbid, nothing gruesome), so no humor will be involved. It will be written by alternating different characters' perspectives (shifting between narrators), and it will be kind of like an RPG (will be used with Advanced Editor, so there are some variables that can and will change the ultimate outcome of the story). I'll elaborate more about it depending on how many replies to this thread I receive.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago

Oh... Hah... Hrm...

I dunno... Historical Fiction is really a love/hate thing for me. I like a lot of it, I simply loved Avi's stories, I like JT and I'm interested in reading Woods Runner, but then again, I was disgusted and bored by Island of the Blue Dolphins, (Probably because of the sea of schoolwork that came with it.) and I found that The Boy in the Striped Pajamas got old after a while, when you know about absolutely everything that the boys are talking about, it kind of loses its innocence prematurely and ruins it. Go for it, I say. I want to know more about this fire, and I want to see if this is the kind of Historical Fiction that intrigues me further.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago

I think that this would be a great story. I enjoy the historical fiction genre and I believe that this would be a great story. Also, you mentioned four characters. I think that a mind-blowing idea would be if you could possibly pick one of those characters to start with, or switch between each character every chapter. And if you do the switch thing, you could make the player relive each chapter, but from a different character's point of view.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago
  1. Don't really care about historical accuracy as long as the story is good.
  2. Fine with stories as long as its good.
  3. Love multiple plots.
  4. And once more I absolutely love Historical Fiction due to the fact I love history.

It looks fine.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago

Hm, let's be honest here. Historical fiction is not historically accurate by nature. It might be based on a true event, but it's historical FICTION, so matter what happens, even it is accurate to historical events that occurred. That's simply because historical fiction is a fictional STORY, not a textbook. No matter what historical event it is based on, your story still remains a work of fiction. And works of fiction have characters, which have point of view, thoughts, opinions, and feelings throughout the story. Even if your book is based on a real historical figure that did actually exist at one point, its impossible to know every single one of his/her thoughts throughout their lives. They might keep a journal or something, and motives can be guessed, but there is absolutely no way to entire that person's mind and really know him/her.

I'm not asking you to be completely historically accurate. That's impossible. What I want is for you to capture the spirit of that particular time and put it in your story. What was it like that time? How were those people really like? If you can capture the spirit and put it into your works, and really teach us something about that time, I will consider your work a piece well done.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago

What a wonderful two-paragraph post. The second paragraph really summed it up though.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago

Amen.

Opinions on a Story?

10 years ago

lol

Thanks!

10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input so far! Based on what I've read, I'll continue with the writing. Right now, I can't really give a clear idea of how long this story will take, but I can tell you that there will be a few different ultimate outcomes at the end of the story for each character, currently I'm experimenting with some basic variables to influence which outcomes the player can achieve. 

Again, thanks so much for your opinions, it really helps! I'll still be checking back on this forum if anyone else would like to submit their opinions!

Thanks!

10 years ago

Your welcome. And thanks for reading them.