Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

So... who's in? :D

10 years ago

As I explained in here, I'm looking to encourage folks here to get some storygames finished in time for the Spring Thing -- because misery creativity loves company! :D

So far, it seems like we've got Tanstaafl, Delta44, and FeanorOnForge on board, at least tentatively... anyone else interested?

And for those who are, what do you think would be helpful for keeping us all on track? Maybe a weekly 'playtest day' where we all test each other's WIPs?

10 years ago

im always in for you Morgue  (permission to start calling you that?)  anyways. Yeah im in :)

10 years ago

Awesome! Kinda morbid, but sure. XD

Heyyyy, you've been away, have I told you about Twine yet? XD

10 years ago

Look at your twine thread Morgue :) ive been using it lol. 

and who are you to tell me about morbidity, and Macabre? hmmm? lol :)

10 years ago

...someone who isn't either of those things? XD

Also, facepalm. As always, I have the memory of a goldfish, please excuse me. ;P

10 years ago
Lol well it was worth a try. But yeah I am hooked on Twine.

10 years ago

Speaking of Twine, I would love to see something Like Deadman, Eternal, or 3j's insanely long, games in twine. thatd be a screen shot for the ages lol

10 years ago

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of walls of text punctuated by occasional choices. But I'd love to see something like Eternal broken up into smaller, choicier chunks...

10 years ago

I can try. I have a storygame right now that's about 50 pages right now I'm working on (albeit slowly).

Of course, I could always cheat and just submit the one that's already over 100 pages and just slap on an ending :P

10 years ago

Awesome!

...and I fail to see how that's cheating. There's no requirement that the entries be completed within a particular timeframe.

Also, since not everyone does choices every 50-odd words like I do, resulting in ridiculous numbers of passages/pages, and since it's a pain in the ass to get a wordcount out of a CYS game, I'm amending the length requirement to include time: If it takes at least ten minutes to play, you're good to go. ^_^

10 years ago

The 100 page one isn't anywhere close to having a real ending, which is why I'd consider it cheating. Sure I could give it an ending, but it'd hardly feel like a satisfying one.

10 years ago

Ah. In that case, yeah, don't do that. ;P

10 years ago

Actually I think this may be good experience for be prior to trying to do this monstrosity I'm planning out right now. If the game is like Eternal I might do an entire branch a large portion of one particular branch that will come from my PoV, mostly just to keep one fairly consistent writing style through that section.

Or I'll just do scenes or small side-quests that are fairly random and hold no value other than making the reader smile. I love doing those things. In fact omit the branch part, I'm in for side-quests now. Muahahaha....

EDIT: I don't want to the the Spring Thing, I doubt I'll be able to reasonably make an entire game with what I want in it by any kind of deadline. Another reason why I'm now declaring myself to 5-20 paged side-quests and other small loops or whatnot.

10 years ago

Well, there's also IFComp, if you'd prefer a more distant deadline. Or just work on your game at your own pace, of course, although personally I find deadlines very helpful for motivating me to actually finish things. ;P

10 years ago

okkkk....whats "spring thing"?

10 years ago

Who knows.

Maybe clicking the link that explains what it is would help?

10 years ago

No. Way.

10 years ago

Killa... you're just talking craaaazy, man.

10 years ago

I clicked it but It didnt make sense. Someone explain.

10 years ago

It's a contest for interactive fiction. The storygames people create here count as interactive fiction.

10 years ago

any theme...?

Spring thing...?

10 years ago

No theme. It's just held in the spring. XD

10 years ago

I'm trying... really trying.... just so dam hard to get back to writing a game I paused for so long.....

10 years ago

Uh...yeah, sure. I'd love to join a contest, I'm always up for a challenge... of course, the only story I can finish in that time frame is my first one. I'm not starting anything else until G.O.L.A.D. gets re-published. That... does beg the question, though: Is it an acceptable entry if it's a story that's been published before?

I mean, comparing the first version to 2.0 is like comparing a demo to a full game.

Also, I must admit, there's another reason I'm dragging my heels. An artist friend promised me to do an illustration for one of the pages, so I'm waiting on that.

10 years ago

The rules on the site say that it can indeed  be published before however,

It MUST be MOSTLY a new game, the example they give is that it cant just be a new ending, it must be like the original is just the intro or chapter 1 of a 5 chapter game.

10 years ago

... I think I've added on roughly 300 more pages since last time. :P And I'm not done.

10 years ago

Nice! I think you're probably fine on new content. Good luck getting it done!

10 years ago

:D

10 years ago

I should really read up the rules of spring ting....

10 years ago

Nope, nowhere near finishing anything I started.

10 years ago

There's always next year! ;)

10 years ago

Damn, I should start XD

10 years ago

Yup! :D