Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Favorite computer games of all time ever?

9 years ago

Just curious what everybody's favorites are. I'd say my top ten games would be:

10. Fable 1, 2 and 3 (flawed but I still liked them)

9. Minecraft and The Sims (don't know how many hours I wasted on them, but it's lots)

8. Grim Fandango

7. Discworld Noir

6. Mass Effect (only played the 1st one)

5. The Walking Dead

4. The Longest Journey (The original, not Dreamfall) 

3. Knights of the Old Republic (1 and 2)

2. Dragon Age Origins (not played 2 yet)

1. Monkey Island series! ^_^

9 years ago

I loved DAII.  Even if it was simplified and the maps were repetitive.  I think I've played it start to finish over a dozen times.

Anyway, total agreement on: Monkey Island, KOTOR, Fable, Mass Effect, Sims, and DA. 

Other series I loved:  Gabriel Knight, Tex Murphy, Quest for Glory, Legend of Kyrandia, Master of Orion

Other standalones I loved: Betrayal at Krondor, Betrayal in Antara,

9 years ago

Dragon's Dogma

9 years ago

Yes!!  How the **** could I have forgotten Dragon's Dogma?

9 years ago

TF2. It's fun to examine the agonizing ecstasy and ecstasising agony that comes with listening to the voice chat... As a spy...

9 years ago

Dead frontier

9 years ago

Never played the game but I love the trailers for it. My friend says I remind her of The Scout... I'm a force of nature! ^_^

9 years ago

They had trailers for it?. I had no idea, must be more popular than I thought.

9 years ago

You've never seen the "Meet the [class name here]" series? It's the closest thing the game has to a plot!

9 years ago

No. http://www.teamfortress.com/comics.php

TF2 seconded.

9 years ago

I really like your Top 10 List! My favorites on your list would be 9, 5, and 1. I'm very tempted to look up some of those games and play them myself.

Here's my Top 10 if you want to see how it compares:

10) The Ship (which is on Steam)

9) Amnesia

8) The Journey Down 

7) Monkey Island Series

6) Tropico 1 & 2

5) The Movies PC

4) The Walking Dead Series

3) The Nancy Drew Series (Message in a Haunted Mansion, Curse of Blackmoor Manor, and the Deadly Device are my favorites)

2) The Myst Series (which includes Riven, Exile, and Revelations)

1) The Sims Series

9 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot about The Movies! That game's AWESOME!!! ^_^

9 years ago

Ohh I use to play A LOT of nacy drew. 

9 years ago

1. Planescape Torment
2. The Fallout series (Preference for 1, 2 and New Vegas)
3. The Civilization series (Pref. for 2 and 4)
4. The Geneforge series (Pref for 1, 2 and 5)
5. Arcanum
6. Age of Wonders series (Pref for 1 and Shadow Magic)
7. Heroes of Might and Magic series (Pref for 3 and its expansions)
8. The Baldur's Gate series (Pref for 2)
9. The Borderlands series (Pref for 2)
10. The Elder Scrolls series (Pref for Morrowind and Skyrim)

Too many really. Some that are on your list are favorites too.

9 years ago

Dammit, I forgot Civilization too! That's definitely one of my faves. ^_^

9 years ago

Basically everything on Endmaster's list except Borderland and Geneforge which I have never actually played. Also replace Skyrims dark brotherhood with the one from oblivion.

Throw in Kotor 1&2, Fable 1, and DA:Origins (Haven't played the rest) and you've got yourself a deal. :)

9 years ago

Nice list.

9 years ago

Hmmm I'll just put in 4 that stand out for me

Zelda ocarina of time

Mass effect series

Monkey island series

The halo series

there are many many others that I love but these 4 I can play endlessly and still love them and want to play more

9 years ago

God yes, Elder Scrolls fan since Daggerfall.

I miss levitation.

9 years ago

KOTOR 1 and 2 are the best! i have played both of them a dozen times.

9 years ago

I wish they would have fixed the ending of KOTOR2, though.

9 years ago

Yeah me too, it was kinda weird.

9 years ago

I know there is a fan-made mod that fixes, replaces, and adds missing things for the 2nd game. It make the game a lot more bearable.

9 years ago

Lol. Yeah, that ending's annoying. Right up until the end I was enjoying KOTOR2 better than the first one, and then I was like... Okay... I'm sure this all makes perfect sense... Maybe I wasn't paying attention to some really important pat of the game that explains where I'm going at the end? cheeky

Best Games of All Time

9 years ago

RTS - Starcraft: Brood War > Starcraft 2 > C&C: Tiberium Sun > Age of Empires II > Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne > Dota2 > Company of Heroes 2 > League of Legends > Sins of a Solar Empire > Everything else

MMO - Runescape > Perfect World International > EVE Online > World of Warcraft > Whatever's Left.  I'm reserving judgment on Guild War II because I haven't played it yet.  As a miner in Runescape I had the most fun with gameplay and interpersonal actions.  Socially I had the most fun with World of Warcraft even though it bored me to tears.

RPG - Sword of Mana > Pokemon Speedruns > Iji > Final Fantasy games not ending in 2, 9, 10, 10-2, 11, 13, and 14 > Gauntlet: Dark Legacy > D&D > Everything else.  Sorry Fallout fans.

FPS - Looking to be Titanfall in the future.  Current social greatest is Goldeneye 007 for the Wii, current gameplay greatest is the Battlefield series.  I'm not skilled enough at newer FPS games to say much about them, but the need to level-grind as a person that's already sh*tty at FPS games irks me.  You hear me Call of Halo Metal Battlefield 3?  Your levelling advantages are like the continuity lockout I get from Doctor Who and Game of Thrones, but without the benefit of my previous interest.

Sports - NFL Blitz on PS1 > NBA2K13 for making me feel I'm good at the genre > Mario Golf > Mario Tennis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else

Racing - Crash Team Racing > F-Zero Grand Prix > Mario Kart (ofc) > Gran Turismo V > That-one-game-where-you-crash-your-car-for-points-omg-so-fun > Crazy Taxi, on the old arcade machines.

Best Games of All Time

9 years ago

SC : BW will always be my favorite.  Multiplayer matches are fun (even when you're not playing for a placement).

However, I can digress with you a lot on Runescape's community, especially with its attitude and treatment of F2Pers and newer players.  High-levelled people just spit on lower-levelled people, and mid-levelled people are pretty much too steeped in grinding to aid others (and only each other for PvP or heavy PvE).  It's really just "you supply me, I make stuff, I divvy up moneyz so we can start all over again".  Scams and bots are constant.  New combat system is just as button-mashy as the more recent MMOs with skillbars and what not.

Without a clan or a good group of players to run with, Runescape gets really boring besides the casual partner.  (Not to mention they just killed off a god for kicks.  Since when did Runescape 1 ever let something that unbalanced happen?  O.o)

PWI, in my opinion, is only worth the time of the people who invest money in it, otherwise, if a new player drops in on the action, they'd get swept under the rug by the P2P people, regardless of PvE and PvP.

EVE...no.  Just too much fanservice to say it even has a taste in aesthetics.

Warcraft is classical, grindy and low-system as it is.  But once you hop out of n00b levels and get to mid-level gameplay, it's just a grindfest.

Best Games of All Time

9 years ago

As a high level miner I had a running gig where people provided me monster protection, I mined the stuff, and they got something like the first armor I smelted out of the raw materials I mined in lieu of cash.  That was very interesting to me, but then again, that was a decade ago.  Now I know people that are maxed in every or nearly every stat and there's, as you said, a lot less tolerance for n00bs.  Not to mention certain things went downhill.  I was a casual at the time.

This is DEFINITELY TRUE of PWI.  If you don't know somebody around level 100 with multiple characters that can help you grind via Frostcover Grounds and Daily BHs, you're doomed.  You can get to Level 60 on your own given a reasonable amount of time, but after that you can NEVER complete your Cultivation quests alone, you get practically nothing (<3% of a level) for quests, and farming mobs is impossible.  They also made my mining dependent on my level ._. That was disappointing.

EVE does have a lot of fanservice, but the cash aspect of it is even worse than PWI.  While it can feel rewarding if you finally get invested and have a role that you're competent in, the price you pay to get there is too damn high.  It's also more of a second life (c wat i did thar?) than other games.  If you play EVE, you do NOT play anything else.

WoW was enjoyable because I played with my whole shop at the time.  We had a triple experience buff that lasted for a month that made playing less of a pain than it would be normally, and we had a guy with a guide for optimal levelling that made crashing through levels a breeze.  Unfortunately, I picked a Tauren Chieftain (Protection, Tank) as my role.  For my first two dungeons I was absolutely terrible.  When I was taught what to do, I could do no wrong.

WOW DUNGEON / RAID CYOA!!

1.) Is this a raid or a dungeon / instance?

If it's a raid, go to question 2.  If it's an instance, go to question 3.

2.) Does everybody in your party know the raid inside and out and have appropriate gear?  If no YOU DIE If Yes go to question 3.

3.) Does the tank do his job properly?  If yes, go to question 4, if no, YOU DIE.

4.) Does the healer do his job properly?  If yes, go to question 5, if no, YOU DIE

5.) Did the DPS roll their face on the keyboard well enough?  If yes you win, if no, YOU DIE.

9 years ago

Agreed, Darth Malak makes Darth Vader look like Darth Sidious cheeky

9 years ago

Monkey Island was hell...

1. Warframe

2. Spiral Knights

3. Geneforge Series

4. The Walking Dead series

5. Ghost Recon Online

^Mostly demos and/or F2P gifts.

9 years ago

You're just jealous because you don't have what it takes to be a mighty pirate cheeky

9 years ago

Then again, I did start playing AFTER my bro got past the first informative bits...

(And Ape Escape will always, always be even harder.)

9 years ago

Great list! However, assassin's creed (which has not been mentioned yet...) is one of my favorites.

9 years ago

I never got any fancy disk ones, so i mostly play vn's

To the moon is a real gem

Ib, however, is my favorite pixel horror (There's a shocking amount of pixel horror)

Mad father was good but cheesy, Mermaid Swamp was eerie and terrifying (Though Rin was a butthead) and Witch's House...That's some crazy stuff. Ib just strikes the right note with me.

9 years ago

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

OK! GOT IT!

1. The entire Fallout series.(preferred 2, 3, and New Vegas)

2. Bioshock series. Fuck yeah.

3. Dishonored. One of the best.

4. THE LAST OF US! TEEEEESSSS!crying

5. F.E.A.R. All of them. No doubt.

6. SCP-Containment breach. Still play from time to time. SCP-173 still gets me somehow...

7. Metro games. Because what better way to start your day than waking up underground in a tunnel because the air outside sucks and demons always try to kill you? Also,you can shoot your money.

8. Various Modded Games. Because Fuck the original game.

9. EVERY SINGLE METAL GEAR GAME.

10. The Thief games. Imma steal yo stuff.

(not necessarily in order)

9 years ago

Elder scrolls, Witcher series, Baldur's gate, Telepath RPG series (Especially the third: Servants of god), Battle for Wesnoth, MARDEK series, Total war series.

9 years ago

I gotta get The Witcher games. I keep hearing they're awesome and the main character looks so cool ^_^

9 years ago

I have way too many favorite games.

Witcher is phenomenal.

9 years ago

This is all correct, have only played a bit of the first one though.

9 years ago

The first one is buggy as hell. Also the main character is a man whore but overall its a really good RPG series. 

9 years ago

10. Dragon Age series

9. Witcher series

8. Rust

7. DayZ mod (Arma 2 & 3)

6. The Wolf Among Us

5. Star Wars the Old Republic

4. Kotor 1 & 2

3. Fallout Series

2. Total War series

1. The Walking Dead series

The ending for Season 1 of The Walking Dead almost brought a tear to my eye, as well as the beginning of Season 2.

9 years ago
Company Of Heroes!!!! I love it so much!!! I got it in 2009 on my birthday. However my computer was shit, intel gma 950 graphics with 1.6 ghz cpu. The game to over 20 minutes to load and ran on like 6 fps!! (*'*). But I still played it! (I am quite proud of that)

9 years ago

Dammit, Briar! You ask the one question that I hate more than religion! Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu-

I, honestly, have no idea how to answer in list form, but I can provide a few great games (well, series of games):

Saints Row series, GTA games (3 and up), CoD (for the campaign, not the multiplayer), Elder Scrolls series, TWD, the Slender games (although perhaps not the best games, they were fucking horrifying the first time around. Admit it), Battlefield series, Lego games, loads of others that I can't name due to low battery :(

9 years ago

10. Age of Empires 2

9. Knights of Honor

8. GTA 3

7. GTA Vice City

6. Civilization 4

5. Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.

4. Majesty: The Northern Expansion

3. Warcraft 3

2 Europa Unviersalis 2

1 GTA San Andreas

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMNED TRAIN ,CJ!!!

9 years ago

WELL...FUCK.

9 years ago

Busta.

9 years ago

While San Andreas was certainly bigger, I still liked Vice City better from that GTA era. I got bored with SA shortly after I reached the San Ferro part of the storyline. Too much pointless stretches of landscape with nothing to actually do in them, didn't help that CJ was a pretty lame protagonist.

9 years ago

Endmaster, look at the storygames I'm making.

9 years ago

Agreed, but the rampaging possibilities in each little town was hilarious.

9 years ago

I can't believe no one has said Command and Conquer yet....

9 years ago

Command and conquer (all of them Generals is my favorite) and all the F.E.A.R. games. Just read your post delta44

9 years ago

Fable is one of those series that had so much potential and it just continued to fail in a downward spiral.

The only major complaint I have about the first one, is that the aging system was really flawed. By the time you're halfway through, you're looking like you're in your 50s even though not much time has passed and everyone else hasn't aged at all!

I think the second one would've beat out the first one, but I really didn't like the elimination of death being a risk. If it was a point and click adventure like Monkey Island, then sure eliminating player death is fine. For an RPG though where you're doing a lot of fighting, seems well rather defeating the purpose. (The combat isn't that difficult anyway)

Too much streamlining by the third one. For example, it made absolutely no sense to get rid of all the different interaction to raise your popularity with people. It basically forced you to tickle and dance with everyone as part of the "friendship" ritual. (I mean can't I just hold a bloody balverine head up and be done with it?)

Despite my gripes, I still found some entertainment out of them all, they just could've been so much better.

9 years ago

Mhmm. Funnily enough I think I liked the first one best. The aging while everybody else stayed young thing was stupid, and would've been nice if I could've been a girl in the first one, but in general I just thought the story, quests, characters, boss battles and more or less everything important was better than the second two. Still, found them all fun. (And I did like Simon Pegg in the Third one) cheeky

9 years ago

The boss battles in Fable 2 & 3 were by far one of the most disappointing aspects of the game. If that wasn't enough magic is overpowered in Fable 2, so I guess the game developers decided to fix it by letting you combine two different magic types. That way they know they didn't half-ass making magic overpowered. Hey, while they're at it why not also make sword combat painfully useless.

9 years ago

Manipulating the universe and telling the laws of physics to go spectacularly fuck themselves through sheer force of will should be better than hitting things with sticks (even sharp metal sticks).

9 years ago
I don't feel the same level of badass when I just zap someone versus doing a series of intricate dodges and maneuvers to eliminate a large group of enemies. Also, these aren't your everyday metal sticks. They are enchanted with....uh, magic. BUT in Fable 3 you have wings pop out when you charge sword attacks.

9 years ago

Different tastes I suppose (Blowing shit up with fiery explosions is something I personally find more satisfying)

9 years ago

I used time magic to slow down everything and then just busted caps in their asses most of the time.

Sort of funny that the bandits would yell, "He's too fast! I can't hit him!" or something like that when you slowed down time.

9 years ago

Yeah, but the problem is, not everyone wants to play as Gandalf.

9 years ago

Honestly, Fable 3 was just too damn dark too damn early, and the transition of it got boring...quickly.  Maybe it's my personal preference, but I'd rather see a character grow older and actually LEARN to kick ass and get praise rather than get some young snob to whore himself all over the village for "friendship".

That, and ranged became pretty much useless when the camera view sorta "locked" combat into an arena-type settting. No longer distance shots?  D: 

9 years ago

Ugh. Minecraft. I was more or less addicted at one point and my little sister keeps trying to get me back into it.

9 years ago

For some reason I can't get into Minecraft, but I enjoy Terraria.

9 years ago

Lol. I like building really cool stuff, but the trouble is, it takes forever to collect all the things you need.

9 years ago

"Let's get creati-"

*punches him in the face*

Shut up, kid.....

9 years ago

Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape:Torment, Icewind Dale I and II, Wizardry 8, King's Quest II, Space Quest II and III, Arcanum: Of Magick and Steamworks Obscura, Ultima I, Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, Doom II, Alpha Centauri.

Best.

9 years ago

Alpha Centauri, definitely a good one. I used to mainly play as the University.

Heard they were making a spiritual successor to it called Beyond Civilization.

9 years ago

Iji. It's the only game that ever made me cry and available for free at http://remar.se/daniel/iji.php. My username is actually a reference to it  :P

9 years ago

Bugs Bunny and Taz: Time Busters.

9 years ago

Yay Tan!!! You do have a sliver of a soul!

9 years ago

Ok Rose heres the break down of my 10. Also list not in any order

10 Genefroge series. (A lot of the visuals Endmaster uses come from that game series. I have dumped at least a month in my life into all of those  games combined and have never beaten any of them. It is like a drug for me.)

9. Grim Fandango (I thought I was the only one in my age group who played this amazing point click adventure)

8. Mass effect (Played all of them one of the best RPGs in existence in my opinion)

7. Walking Dead (Tell Tale not the shitty fps version)

6.Xcom enemies unknown

5. Assassin Creed

4. Thief

3.Civilation

Infamous (Forgot this isn't technically computer. So consider it an HOnorable mention) 

2.Kings Bounty 

1. Dragon Age: Orgins (DA2 would be on my worse games list I only finished it for the music)

9 years ago

The endings for Mass Effect 3 were absolute bullshit.

9 years ago

He said nothing about the ending Danaos.

9 years ago

I know I know. The game itself was amazing.

9 years ago

Ending of KOTOR2 was also shit. Still loved the game cheeky

9 years ago

The ending for KOTOR 2 left too many questions for me. Kreia/Darth Traya didn't answer everything that I wanted. But I did find out that she may be the Handmaiden's mother.

9 years ago

I didn't know that... But then I played as a girl, so I didn't even have the Handmaiden in my group. I got that boring Disciple guy.

9 years ago

I had given the female character a run because apparently it's set in canon that the Exile was a girl. The disciples best part is when Atton kills him on dark side, unfortunately it was cut out.

9 years ago

Agreed but the Rest of ME3 was awesome. I don't let 1% of the game kill the whole thing for me. Besides the Ex cut dlc helped. 

9 years ago

Other than the ending which I agree was fixed with the extended cut, I thought they dropped the ball with Cerberus and they should've had a whole path to work with them instead if you were friendly with them in the second game. (Or pro-human)

Kai Leng was pretty lame as a "rival" as well. They made a big deal about him and I'm like who the hell is this guy and why is he even important?

9 years ago

The only part I really liked about ME3 were the missions involving getting the races together. The main plot itself just didn't feel right.

Also the Salarians were idiots.

9 years ago

What so you didn't like the main plot which involved getting all the races together? First you help the Turians and Kogrens make up by curing the genefage. Then you pick Geth or Qurien. You travel to the Asari home world and discover there Realgion look a lot like something else.

Also agreed that a majority of the Salarians were idots. (The special forces guys still helped you out)

Also the only reason I cared about the rival was because he killed Thane. I would not have cared otherwise. 

One of my fondest memories of this game was an argument I had with my friend about which game had more alien species Halo or ME. (Excluded everything not in the games). We finally decided that in said games you would have to be able to talk to at least one member of said species and it must be organic. ME won with 13. 

9 years ago

The main plot involved rallying all of them to help save earth, which really didn't make sense, given the rest of the galaxy was under attack too. It made even less sense when you realized the rest of the races basically went "Okay, you help us with this thing, then we'll send a bunch of guys with you on that suicide mission", for no real reason.

I mean, it was only during the last bit of the game that you realize you can destroy all the reapers from there. Prior to that you were just trying to save earth for the sake of saving earth, and for some reason everyone was just agreeing to that.

9 years ago

No they knew that you had the plans for a weapon that could destroy Reapers. You find that out almost in the beginning of the game. Since the Humans own the plans the it makes sense that they would want to use it on earth first. It makes sense for the other races to help them build the weapon and launch an assault on earth because the sooner the humans use it to help themselves the sooner the humans will help the other races. 

9 years ago

Yeah but his fight with Thane just made him seem even more pathetic. Thane was dying of alien lung cancer and pretty much at death's door and Kai still had problems beating him. I wasn't buying that he was supposed to be some Shepard counterpart. Saren was a much better rival in that regard.

Really if Kai had been an ongoing character since Mass Effect 1, he would've worked better. Even if he had been some minor character that you met in passing. As it stood, he was just some pointless elite mook that seemed shoehorned in because they thought having a "space ninja" would be the "coolest" thing ever.

Hell, I would've rather seen Conrad Verner suddenly pop up as Shepard's "rival" in mass effect 3.

9 years ago

Could you imagine that fight.

Shepard: "Conrad, why are you doing this?"

Conrad: "Because you refused my bromance and rejected me as a fanboy!"

9 years ago

Then the next three choices would be:

Paragon: I only did so because I was afraid of my true feelings for you (Leads to gay sex scene)

Neutral: Fine, if it'll save the rest of the galaxy, you can suck my dick. (Leads to gay sex scene)

Renegade: I don't have time for this, you want a bromance, I'll show you a bromance! (Leads to gay RAPE scene)

Black Out...

Shepard: I should go.

9 years ago

lol