Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Character Development

9 years ago

I wanted to know some methods of developing characters for my Aeternus - Rise of a Legend story. What makes you feel a connection to the other characters in a story?

Character Development

9 years ago

Character development is simply the occasion when the story influences how the character behaves. You need to write a scene that effects a character so that he isn't the same as he was before the scene and then you need to consistently write him in this new fashion.

Character Development

9 years ago

Parents being brutally murdered is always a popular one... Then there's losing a friend or sibling, losing a limb, or finding out that somebody they care about is a bad guy... Or you could just make their girlfriend/boyfriend of two weeks break up with them. That's pretty much the worst thing that can happen to anybody ever according to most teenagers cheeky

Character Development

9 years ago

This sounds like a medieval-esque story. There was no dating back then, just courtship. If you acted like a teenager today back then, you'd probably get beaten until you stopped acting like that.

Character Development

9 years ago

That's too much briar. They'll take their belts!

Character Development

9 years ago

I don't quite understand... They're supposed to work as ropes, right?  Which button does that, though?

Character Development

9 years ago

Umm...yeah. The story is set in a similar timeframe of the Roman Empire in it's prime, or something like Dragon Age timeframe. There will be romance in the story but I haven't arrived at that bridge yet.

So the character will have to basically have something to change the way they were when you first met them?

Character Development

9 years ago

Wanna think of something really original... Uhh... How about they die and get reincarnated as a porcupine? Never seen that in a story before. Write that! ^_^

Character Development

9 years ago

No, Briar, that's STUPID!...

Let them become a living chair.

Quite honestly, just traumatize them at some point in the story, that usually works.

Character Development

9 years ago

I actually forgot porcupines existed until today. I'm willing to accept more sensible ideas on how to include romance in a story of a soldier rising through the ranks of a military that is conquering the continent.

Character Development

9 years ago

During a pillage, you save one of the women from being raped by some of the more immoral soldiers? (Thus begins a slow, cautious friendship, and eventually the romantic fires of romance show the fuck up) 

Or perhaps, you could be sweet on a girl back home, and fight as hard as you can for the opportunity to get back home?

Or better yet, be able to do both, and let the drama ensue?

Character Development

9 years ago

Sounds doable. I'm also considering having that one female in the army that has somehow managed to hide the fact that she is a female until you just happen to find out.

Character Development

9 years ago

I don't understand how anyone could be hot if they could pass for the opposite gender really easily, though. But sexiness really isn't what it's all about.

Character Development

9 years ago

I was attempting to make fun of how some stories do that. Although there could be the case where she covers most of her body, thus leading to the assumption that she is male, and also still being sexually appealing.

Character Development

9 years ago

I suppose a fake beard could just make her look like a really skinny man... Although, how would you un-see that during sexy-time?...

I'm just speculating, don't overthink that one, lol.

Character Development

9 years ago

Well hopefully you've known her long enough (since learning her true gender) that you have now forgotten that she once had a beard.

Character Development

9 years ago

I remember reading a short story where the protagonist was in a Confederate POW camp and he found out the drummer boy was actually a young woman.

She naturally begged him to keep it secret and he said he would and that he was just glad he had been preoccupied with a woman's butt rather than a young boy's.

Character Development

9 years ago

That's just...wait what? Was he staring at her ass thinking to himself , "That ass can't belong to a guy. It just can't."

Character Development

9 years ago

That's possibly how you discover that she is, in fact, a girl...

Character Development

9 years ago

By staring at her ass until you can draw a conclusion. What if it happens to be a boy?

Character Development

9 years ago

Lol.

Well in the story I read, he found out she was female while they digging an escape tunnel and there was a minor cave in and some how her uniform top came undone and he saw her breasts.

Character Development

9 years ago

That's pure divine intervention. Things like that don't just happen. And how did he not notice the unusual bulge in the chest area of her uniform? I think I'm starting to read to much into this now. -_-

Character Development

9 years ago

She could have undone some buttons to cool off. And her breasts didn't have to be large enough to create a bulge, she could have just had chest bits shaped breastfully. Of course, if they were larger, she just could've scrunched a pillow case into her undershirt and pretended it was because "she" was fat. Although a lot of the uniforms were very poorly fitted back then, so it could've been just loose enough to let her body show that if she bent the right way.

The thing is, why did she want to join the war effort?

Character Development

9 years ago

She was a big believer in preserving the union. Her breasts weren't that big and she wore a relatively loose fitting uniform.

The story wasn't really a traditional one, since it was a "Weird Wars" tale in a comic book.

Might as well give you the ending.

Basically some other POWs that are just thugs end up killing her and the protagonist's other friends for their supplies. He spends the rest of his time at the camp ignoring his declining health building a weird "golem" type body of wood, metal and his girlfriend's skull.

It ends with her coming back as this creature that the guy brings to life with his old pocket watch and his own dying beliefs of them holding magic. She kills all the thugs in the middle of the night and goes back to die with the protagonist.

Character Development

9 years ago

More sensical than your average original version of a fairy tale...

Character Development

9 years ago

Lol. This reminds me of Les Miserables (play, not movie) where Eponine manages to convince everybody she's a boy by... Tying her hair back and wearing a hat... Literally, that's it. Works really well too. Jean Valjean just chats away to her like, "Stay away from the barricades, it's no place for a young man like yourself! And I must say, what a lovely pair of tits you have monsieur." cheeky

Character Development

9 years ago

Besides women posing as men to confuse the hell out your protagonist's sexuality, you can also have character development shaped due to where he's assigned in the beginning.

Like if he's assigned where heavy fighting occurs, he probably develops a more aggressive personality and becomes more conscientious about keeping in shape and training.

If he's some place where the fighting isn't as bad then his training slides a little but maybe due to all the downtime he develops a friendlier personality among other soldiers (Lots more playing cards, drinking and socializing)

He might even be assigned somewhere where he's forced to go against the "military rule book" due to being somewhere that's understaffed so he uses his wits and thinks outside the box a bit more to defeat enemies.

Character Development

9 years ago

I've set the beginning during the PC's training before entering battle.

Character Development

9 years ago

*ahemeternalahem*

Character Development

9 years ago

When they're an ass at the beginning, but really on the inside they're nice, but  then something happen to make them change on the way they act on the outside.

As to what, you can think of something, I'm sure.