Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Outsiders

9 years ago

In my English class, we are reading a book called The Outsiders. I have just started it, so don't give any spoilers. I just want to know that if you read it, what rating would you give it?

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Ha, apparently Puddlebuni loved it.

Myself? Loathed it. 2-3/10.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Now read "The Outsider" by Lovecraft.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Is it because your jewish?

It's only racist if you think about it.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

I'd probably laugh if I got the joke... :P

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Oh, right, I get it. Because Ponyboy and the kid that died thought Dallas was playing "Hide the sausage" when he wasn't, but he hates it because he's Jewish because sausage is bad because it's pork and also premarital sex and so it's double bad and gives Tanstaafl "Bad Juju" because of all the pork and premarital sex and horrible puns and run-on sentences and lack of punctuation and also Ponyboy was uncircumcised?

The Outsiders

9 years ago

(O_O )

for the love of sailor moon Sentinal, what the heck are you talking about

The Outsiders

9 years ago

@Sentinel- so much for spoilers XD

But I did note the run-on sentences in the book, that annoyed me a little (Admittedly) haha.

Just disliked it since the author created male characters who we're either... Wannabe macho men? (But really weren't?) and poetry liking hippies.

And the female characters were just utterly undesirable, detestable and bitchy. Which I don't think was what the author tried to do, but was still annoying.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

They were greasers, effectively Elvis fanboys/impersonators. Any bastard who got down to the true heart and soul of all Elvis stood for would probably be well acquainted with poetry and the like, no matter how switchblade-wieldingly violent they are.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Elvis was manly AND a poet (kinda I guess), not an angsty sissy. (Perhaps angsty, but not a sissy)

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Not everyone can be a perfect Elvis like you, Tans!

The Outsiders

9 years ago

If I had no shame I'd post my semi-home-made Elvis-costume that I wore for Purim when I was younger. That was hilarious, and glorious.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

It was. XD 

can't you find it online?

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Yeah, you get it by searching up my full name, I believe. Harder to dig up every year though haha.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Elvis got angsty? Really?

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Kinda, after his wife divorced he got depressed about it, went on [more] drugs, and died on a toilet. 

The Outsiders

9 years ago

A hero to us all.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Hell yeah! And I hated that book. I preferred to read the Norwegian encyclopedia.

The Outsiders

9 years ago

"Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold"

no jonnycakes nooooooo 

(/;o;)/

After that you have to read That was then, this is now and then Tex and then Rumble Fish

The Outsiders

9 years ago

I finished reading it today and I absolutely loved it! I like how it looped back to the beginning at the end, and I was so sad when Johnny died. ;(

HIGHFIVE

9 years ago

Johnnycakes nooo

I also found it absolutely awful when <whats his face the toughy guy> got shot and died.

It's one thing when an innocent character dies. BUT ITS ANOTHER THING WHEN THE TOUGHY GETS SHOT A BUNCH OF TIMES.

Next to read: That Was Then, This Is Now. A bad ending (i liked it, but bad stuff happens).

HIGHFIVE

9 years ago

The blond tough guy who died deserved to :P

What the hell was he thinking? Pulling an unloaded gun on a whole bunch of police men. Brilliant.

HIGHFIVE

9 years ago

Some call it passion, I call it hormones.

HIGHFIVE

9 years ago

Others; Suicide

HIGHFIVE

9 years ago

That was Dally, I think. I wasn't really as sad when he died, I didn't really give a crap about him.

HIGHFIVE

9 years ago

hmm, I rather liked him. His death, i believe, was solely based on hormones.

I think why i liked him was cuz he liked johnnycakes

HIGHFIVE

9 years ago

Johnny was a loser. I mean, why didn't he just run away (maybe live with Ponyboy?) Call the police? Something aside from being a tool to his abusive parents?

I dunno, it didn't seem like he tried hard enough to change his fate, so I couldn't really care for anyone haha. (Some of my classmates cried though, for whatever reason)

The Outsiders

9 years ago

Hm. Cant say I really liked that book, but cant say i hated it either....

4-6/10

The best part of the movie was when they went to dairy queen...