Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Is anyone interested in this?

9 years ago

So, I'm laying out the ground work for a massive crossover fanfiction story. And by massive, I mean 20+ fandoms worth of characters (Silent Hill, Harry Potter, the Avengers, and multiple Disney movies, to name a few), along with at LEAST 15 original characters. There will be multiple branching plots and subplots to follow, along with interesting quests, and even some mini-games. I'm planning on having multiple endings - at least twenty or thirty. Probably more. And the content of the endings depends on what choices you make later on, and what you have to choose from depends on what choices you make earlier. In other words, this will be nowhere near linear.

HOWEVER - in the game you play as an 18-year-old girl, fresh out of high school. I tried making it so that gender was changeable, but I quickly found that having to work that in would mean having to change every 'her' 'him' 'he' she', etc. used for the protagonist, and it would be nearly impossible to keep up with alongside a changeable name, physical appearance, and personality, and everything else I'm offering, so I scrapped it. Besides that, I would've felt obligated to include MTF/FTM trans, hermaphrodite, and asexual as options alongside male and female, so as not to exclude anyone, which would've further complicated things.

Age isn't changeable for plot-related reasons. And because I have no idea where it would be appropriate to cut it off (i.e. Is thirteen too young? Is thirty too old? How would a romance work in that situation???), so I just went with what constitutes as a legal adult where I'm from.

It IS possible to obtain a love interest in the story (which can be basically anyone who isn't taken in their cannon universe), and I'm considering making it possible for a lesbian relationship to be developed. I'm a little on the fence about it, so I'd really like some input on that. If I don't get much input, then I'll probably just go with whatever my gut says.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in playing this game?

9 years ago

Hmmm.

9 years ago

It'll take a long time, but I would play this game.

9 years ago

I'm totally up for having tea with Pyramid head, Hermoine, Gilgamesh the Forgotten one, and Eddie Murphy as Jim Evers. Go for it.

9 years ago

Seems like a cool idea, as long as you could pull it off haha.

Honestly, I don't think homo-sexual relationships are needed, just focus on engaging the reader and most people will be okay.

The Author of the webcomic, Order of the stick, has stated that he doesn't put any of that simply because he wouldn't know how to write or implement it well. (If you could do it well, then go for it, but play for your strengths and what you're comfortable with).

9 years ago

IGNORE HIM! Lesbianism is ALWAYS necessary!

But, in all seriousness, if you're iffy on an aspect of love, dating, or any form of romance, try it out briefly and see if it all seems right to you first, because chances are, if you're not comfortable writing it, people probably won't be comfortable reading it. Unless they're Jihelu.

9 years ago

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

9 years ago

... Weeeell, if you've read...  ... *glances at the calendar* a certain story which may or may not have anything to do with a certain author which shall not be named at this current date due to... reasons, then you'll know I'm an author who respects giving the reader the normally excluded ability to choose their sexual orientation. Just because I, myself, may not be interested in said scenario does not mean I will not at least appreciate the option to have experienced it if I wanted to.

You know that saying, "You may not want to join the party, but it's nice to be invited"?

9 years ago

I want to co-author this XD

9 years ago

It's a good idea, but it seems very ambitious for your first story. I know I started with a big ambitious project, but was overwhelmed by how much more work it was than I'd expected, and eventually gave up after realizing I was nowhere near half-way about 100 pages in. I hope you'll have more success, but just thought I'd warn you about the amount of work such a big game will likely take.

Personally I think a lesbian option is a good idea if it's well written, but not required at all.

9 years ago

I would so play it but you should break it down a little

9 years ago

How so?

9 years ago

I would just say exactly what other people are saying, if you think you can write it well, go for it, if it turns out bad, don't beat yourself up over it. But, just saying, I'd love to help you out with fine tuning the story when it's near completion. Just looking for errors and reading it over.

9 years ago

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)

9 years ago

If you ever want a helper to ease the work-load, just ask. Plenty of people here are willing, including me. I might go so far as to say I might need help myself, as I'm working on something I think will be roughly the scale of Necromancer, and its going to take up lots of my time, particularly if I'm working alone.