Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just joined yesterday.  Nice to meet you!  I wanted to work on making a storygame into next month, and I was wondering what the normal length is (I'm planning it out and it's getting very long) and how people usually deal with time passing.

Thanks, Shy

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

It will ultimately just depend on the quality of th egame. Take as long as you need to in order to make it work, if you rush it the readers will be able to tell.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Okay, thanks!

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

One of our best works on this site, Eternal, has taken YEARS in the making.  I'm pretty sure this community can wait forever and still like your storygame by the time it comes out.  This site tends to favor well-done roast over burnt filet mignon.

The average length of the storygames on this site aren't very long, but if you discount the hordes of scrap and get into the medicore stories, they'll usually average to about 40-100+ pages.  However, each storygame varies on the amount of words on each individual page itself, so the average of pages isn't entirely something to be relied on often...

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Sorry, are the "mediocre" ones 40-100+?  "Mediumcore" of stories?  Sorry, I'm sure there are very short ones that are great, but I'm not sure what the medium is.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

From the top of my head, (this is all very opinionated) "Farewell, My Childhood Self", some of the Homo Perfectus stories, and "A Jung Hero's Adventure" were all pretty good, but they weren't the greatest either.  While they were a little more than a lunch-break's length, their scores weren't the tip-top.  

Also, to clarify on # of pages, I'm talking more about overall rather than the longest linear path.

And Bo says it better anyway : It's all about the content.  I wouldn't be too worried about the length of your storygame if I were you.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Thanks, that helps a lot!  The number/length of pages thing was a little confusing.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Yeah, sorry about that ^-^

(Looking forward to your storygame, ExtrovertOdessa)  :D

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago
Welcome, enjoy your stay.

Considering how many short stories there are and how many extremely long stories there are, I'd say the average is around 50 pages. Though, if you want to have a good story - I'd recommend at least 80. Depends on the story really.

Dealing with time passing? Forums is for procrastination! :D

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Great! Thanks you guys.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Just go with Bo's answer, it's the more correct one. 

Also welcome to CYS. I like your picture, I don't think I've seen one like that before.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Thanks, I like your picture too :)  Very cool.

Mine's the opening scene of one of my favorite movies: Ridley Scott's Bladerunner!  It's a landscape reflection in one of the characters' eyes.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Haha!  I'm sorry Ford: I meant time passing in the game (now I'm thinking about it, everyone probably paces their story differently).  The Forums do look like a wonderful place to go to procrastinate though.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Quite so, I've been doing it with my story for nearly a month now. lol

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Hello! =) Love your profile pic. Welcome and enjoy your stay.... lol ;D

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Same    ^

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

I'm not sure if this is bad manners to ask, but I'm curious... Are most of you based on the East Coast?

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Of where? We got people from literally EVERYWHERE! Scottish Penguinites, Jewish Guys, A Glitched Robot from Australia, Jesus, The Universe and all other sorts o' people.

In all seriousness though, I don't think so.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Oh! I meant United States.  For some reason I matched the time zone of this site to the Atlantic coast side of the U.S.  It certainly isn't matched to where I am.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Yeah, Central, Mountain, and Pacific timers will have to convert.

Not that it's hard to.  :P  SoCal isn't too many hours to subtract.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Swiftstryker, are you in SoCal?

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

I'm from AZ.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

There'd be no reason otherwise to mention it :P

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Actually, I just thought you made an extremely impressive guess at where I am: I'm in the Bay Area :)  Same time zone.

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

I live on the east coast

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Make you game longer than 10 pages (in terms of content, not necessarily choices) at least, as a rule, haha. Other than that, you should be good. (Seriously, we've got tons of shitty games here).

Hi! And a question...

9 years ago

Do you mean a good length for any given chain of pages should be at least 10?