Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

A Lone Wolf stalks in from the Wilds of ALASKA :)

9 years ago

Arrooo!!! Hi guys! I'm LoneSilverWolf (SilverWolf in most of my circles, or LSW. Or just Wolf.) I'm 28 years old and have never lost my interest in pick your fate or choose your path games. I LOVE this site, and I am currently working on my own story for the very first time. I've written two regular novels that I hope to one day publish--but am finding writing a choose your path game a lot more difficult to put together than a novel! I am really impressed with those of you that put together well balanced stories. I have yet to actually play a gamebook from this site, as I just joined a few days ago, but I am impressed with the selection and the HUGENESS of the place. Well done!

I may not be around TOO often, as I'm currently enlisted into the US Army and my basic training date is September 22nd. I have a lot of preparing to do before I go, and I also am involved in a long distance relationship with a WONDERFUL woman who takes up most of my time (and I'm glad she does too <3 ). That said, I'll be around here and there, and look forward to contributing to the site :)

~LoneSilverWolf~

9 years ago
Welcome and enjoy your stay as part of the community :D

9 years ago

Thanks for the welcome Ford! Any tips for a new story writer like me? I'm trying to write a fan fiction type story based in the Hunger Games that takes you from the reaping all the way through to being a victor if you make the right decisions. BUT it can't be as complex as I'd like since I have no understanding of scripting or variables whatsoever. Any tips though, beyond what I can find in the articles, would be appreciated :)

9 years ago
You certainly don't need scripting and coding and pictures all over the place to have your story be good. Words are the main focus. Don't write pages that are too long or too short - if you're going to explain something in detail for the reader to immerse themselves into the story, break it up into multiple pages with a couple paragraphs each.

Keep in mind although the website is named "Choose Your Story" and is specifically made for choosing paths and actions for different outcomes in a story-game: your story does not need to be a CYOA story. It can be 1 page to the other with no actual choices (although it is preferred by many that there are choices with different outcomes :P). In my opinion, if it's written well and organized - it get's a good rating from me.

Tips:

-No "End Game" links within the first 10 - 20 pages. It's unfulfilling and makes the story seem abrupt if it isn't that great. (However, if the story is great and is only 10 pages [which is highly unlikely] - no one will mind)

-No pages without a link to another page. Having a page without a link is very displeasing to see - it gives a subconscious "The author didn't even bother to put work into each page." or "The author is unorganized in his writing - and cannot spare time to put a 'Previous Page' link at the very least"

-Spelling, grammar, punctuation isn't a huge deal - unless it's noticeable. I recommend using http://www.polishmywriting.com/ before finishing a page.

-The "Advanced Game" button - click it. There's nothing very advanced about it, it gives more freedom to do advanced things (but it is not necessary to do anything advanced in order to use it) and far easier organization.

-----

Most everything else can be found in the articles. If you need specific help seek out any of the members listed here. If they are not on and you need help with something urgent, important, specific, and you need the facts - always message me.

I happen to be the most trusted source of factual information in the history of this website. Many people call me "Factual" - "Fantastic" - "Magnificent" - "Honest" - "Great" - "I hate you Ford" - "Passionate" - "**** you Ford" - "Froody" - "The best" - and "Amazing".

9 years ago

Thanks Ford the Magnificent :P That actually does help a lot. I made a test game with advanced, in addition to the one I actually want to work on--I will probably turn it into advanced, as long as I can shy away from the things I don't yet understand. I appreciate the advice, and I will most certainly keep all of it in mind as I write and put together what I hope will be this sites first (if not first, hopefully best) Hunger Games fan fic CYOA story :D

Love your avatar, by the way xD

9 years ago

Welcome to the site Wolf! I will be waiting for ya book!

9 years ago

Yo. If you need any help, p.m the great Nmelssx-sama. The great Nmelssx-sama will be by your side in an heartbeat. 

9 years ago

*a heartbeat.

9 years ago

Sorry, my accent is acting off on its own again. It's annoying, like an-a-ah-eh-an sweet pah-ta-toe!!!!

9 years ago

What is your accent anyway? I've tried to determine it by your writing, but I honestly can't. Anyway, I don't think it's proper for anyone to refer to himself with the honorific -sama. I don't speak (or read or write) Japanese, though.

9 years ago

I'm kidding. I don't have much of an accent. 

9 years ago

Okay.

9 years ago

Hello and welcome to the site. My name is James. It's always nice to have another canine on the site. It was getting lonely with just me, wolfdemon, jibble, and that strange, fetishy furry guy. Anyway, seriously, if there is any thing I can do to help, just pm me. I don't bite. :)

9 years ago

What about Ford. I mean he is Half Canine right?

9 years ago

Hmm... He does not seem to embrace his doggy ( or wolfy) side. Besides, it's about attitude more than profile pics. Wolfdemon devotes all of his games to wolves, I embrace the attributes of the fox, Jihelu REALLY embraces the attributes of the fox, and Jibbles...well...I don't know about Jibbles.

9 years ago

So it's like finding your innerself and imbracing it. Dude that is DEEP!

9 years ago

Eh. I've seen deeper, but yeah, it is almost like a voluntary spirit animal thing...at least with most of us.

9 years ago

Maybe i should start seeking out my inner Carnivine....

OFF TO MEDITATION!

9 years ago

Umm...good luck with that?

9 years ago

9 years ago

???

9 years ago

I regretted what i wrote, i apologize

9 years ago

Well seems I'll fit right in with you furry companions! I intend to make a wolf simulation at some point, and I also tend to...live sort of like a wolf, refering to my girlfriend and I as a "pack," among other things xD. Good to know i'm not crazy. Or, barring that, at least I'll be crazy with other canines! I've always said I'm a wolf at heart xD

9 years ago

Yep, you are among friends.

9 years ago

Yes welcome

laugh

9 years ago

For some reason, Brad, I feel you either insulted my intelligence or the concept I brought up. I have no proof, though.

9 years ago

I sorta felt like i did the latter. So i apologized.

A Lone Wolf stalks in from the Wilds of ALASKA.

9 years ago

Eh, well, if you want to say it, you can. I won't be too mad, and I'm kinda curious.

9 years ago

I assumed you were joking so i continued my jokes. Then i sorta felt like you weren't joking. That's all.

As for the concept, i have heard it before and it seems odd but intrigues me.

9 years ago

Well, I didn't mean it too seriously. You can't really choose your spirit animal. Plus, I'm only like 1/8 Cherokee and I'm not even sure that they venerate foxes. Still, I do feel extremely close to them...and snakes and toads/frog...but right now, I associate with the fox more than any other animal.

9 years ago

Stupid furries.

9 years ago

Well before the European expansion, they wouldn't have ever seen a fox. After that, well who knows.

Also interested in Native culture!

9 years ago

There were red foxes in the Americas before the introduction of the red fox by the Europeans. They just all moved to Canada prior to the arrival of the English. No joke. Look it up.

9 years ago

I seemed to be wrong :D

Either way, from my knowledge Cherokee were south of the Canadian border.

9 years ago

Well, yeah, but they might have gotten out a lot. :p

9 years ago

I don't think you guys get out TOO much...

9 years ago

Pardon my language, but what in the nine layers of fuck is that? Besides some fetishists' wet dream.

9 years ago

A totally realistic fox.

9 years ago

An example as to why Coins should have his forum privileges revoked.

That might be slightly arousing, but please take it down.

No...just no.

9 years ago

An example to why foxes are fucking bigots.

They might be great fetishes, but please take them out.

Yes... Just yes.

9 years ago

Foxes are not bigots. I never stated what fetish(es). Still no.

9 years ago

9 years ago

Yeah, but that's irrelevant. Manatees are a bunch of fat-asses.

9 years ago

Say, if you're the same "silver wolf" that I've been accustomed to for some time, then I don't need to welcome you back :P

But if you're truly new, welcome to the site! I'm too lazy to give a full thingy *insert lazy apology 'ere*

9 years ago

Hi @Nmelssx. 

9 years ago

Hi @NMELSSX. 

9 years ago

I'm actually new here, Delta--but I have used variations of the name SilverWolf since I was a young teen at other forums. Up until just recently I was a very active member of a website called the RPguild--I was LoneSilverWolf there, and recently posted my goodbye thread--I don't have time to RP --and-- prep for basic training D:

Thanks for the welcome guys, and I can tell from this thread, I will DEFINITELY get along just fine. Some of ya'll be kinda crazy *cough*coin*cough* but I'm a bit wild too :P

9 years ago

oh Coins is normal compared to one particular fox you may or may not meet.

9 years ago

Are you talking about me or Jihelu?

Jihelu definitely beats me. Here is a quote from Jihelu.

(Discussing what our last words would be if the entire world was watching our death. Jihelu says something (I can't remember what, though.))

Endmaster: I thought your last words would be more like "I thought it would fit".

Jihelu: Foxes can fit anything.

Jamescoker1226 (me): What the flying f--- did you just say?

Jihelu: You heard me.

I mean, I'm wild too, but I try to control what I say online in order to keep it from coming back and biting me in the ass. Jihelu makes jokes about hardcore furry sex and kraping people (sometimes, I'm not even sure he's joking).

9 years ago

Welcome  to CYOS!  Honestly, I can't give you much advice, except to just keep writing.  Hope you enjoy it here, because the community here is... very... unique... and...  Yeah, welcome!