Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Okay. I'm not totally set on this so I'm open to community involvement, but I'm considering outlawing memes and images when they are the sole content of a post. This is a writing site and I don't like seeing a large paragraph post and then a reply after it with a huge image that just says 'NO'. I think that's bad for the site and it's not conducive to good writing.

What are your thoughts?

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Agreed completely.

Memes and Images

9 years ago
Agreed. Pictures are alright 5% of the time, memes/pictures dictating a thread don't belong here.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Agreed. If I wanted crappy image macros I'd go to 9gag

Memes and Images

9 years ago

I wonder what provoked this thought...

Anyway I agree. Although I don't think our most recent trolls users who like to use memes will just suddenly stop.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Just ban coins and the problem is solved lol.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Yeah, I agree with Killa Robot and say you need to just get rid of coins. I don't normally call for changing the passwords on people, but coins is the main one that over uses the images and spams up threads and forums.

Even that probably would be slightly more tolerable if he didn't use oversized images all the time. Getting rid of him wouldn't really be a loss since he usually doesn't contribute anything other than complaining that Sentinel cut off his dick or shadowing nmelssx.

I mean I understand the need to keep a village idiot around to kick around for fun every once in a while, but we already got Honor for that.

EDIT: Might as well get rid of that Hytr8 guy too while you're at it.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

You might have just shattered Honors honor.

Whatever amount of honor he had...

But yes, I agree with this whole comment completely, oh you who are so wise

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Hytr8 hasn't been on in a while, but I think he might actually be a productive member of this society. Coins...well, we should at least give him a final warning before kicking him off.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Hytr8 hasn't been on in a while, but I think he might actually be a productive member of this society. 

How very nice of you, James. I haven't done anything bad in a while.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

You failed at basic quotation grammar.

The way you acted before hasn't helped.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Hytr8 sent me a PM attempting to plead his case to me. Sort of surprising since he wrote a lot better in it than he normally does on the forums.

The fact remains he's annoyed several other people on the site. (Probably way more than he's actually annoyed me.) Not to mention he's admitted to being a troll and having multiple accounts at the time when we had the mass troll/spam invasion about a month or two ago.

True, he hasn't been as much of a problem lately, but whenever he does show up he ends up posting a spam thread that the mods end up having to delete anyway so he's not really changing his behavior.

I told him if he wants to start posting like a normal person that's fine, but like Fireplay said, his past actions haven't helped.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

We've told him to post respectfully and coherently along with several others for a while now. They haven't done it yet.

So that's why I support either a Crack-down on the site or just straight up banning them at this point.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

I have stopped

Memes and Images

9 years ago

If you wanted to prove that to them...you probably shouldn't have necroed this post....

Just act like anyone else and then it will be clear to us you have stopped.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Agreed with Killa and Endmaster haha.

Sometimes a meme pic is amusing, but it's been overused recently to the point of nullifying amusement, and evoking annoyance.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

I agree, but memes can also be put to good use. For example, memegenerator.net offers users to change the caption as they want, possibly making it in-context for whatever the discussion in CYS is. I view those as useful.  Of course, one containing one word or an already overused meme with barely any relation to the discussion is not right, but if it's relevant, I guess it could stay.

And of course, if the image is the only content of a post, then i'm really unimaginative and may brand the poster as "person lacking creativity", because that's what they are. If the only answer you can think of can be described by  a meme, then I will doubt your ability to impress me with your writing skills.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

The problem isn't memes but pic spamming

Memes and Images

9 years ago

well, I don't see how pic spamming can be considered in-context conversation/example , so yeah, unless you also put a paragraph of text beside the pic, you shouldn't be surprised when your post disappears .

Memes and Images

9 years ago

So long as a member doesn't use a picture every second post, I wouldn't mind keeping the site as is. I still agree though.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Meh. I think it really depends on who is using it, and why they're using it. Sometimes the situation is appropriate while other times it's not. But I won't miss it too much if it's gone, though, since I don't use them anyway...  

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Yes.

While you're at it, ban the spammers.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Completely expected this :P

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Well, yeah, i've been very "Ban all the annoying people"-pro for over three months.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Ooooh. I just love it when we have these discussions.

AND YES THE MEMES ARE OVERUSED. Like, coins responds to 95% of the comments with an oversized overused misplaced meme. Other than that.... he's okay I guess. He's fun to watch get taunted by Sentinel. There ARE a couple "meh, okaaaaay" people on this site....

Memes and Images

9 years ago

It's huge problem recently - that and the mega-derailing of threads.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

It's not even entertaining derailment now. Not like how you and Aman did it.

Now it's just pointless spam and picture-fest's. Anyway, I support Endmaster's idea.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

I agree with this

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Just about everyone agrees including me so I say it's practically official. 

Memes and Images

9 years ago

How can we agree with you if you haven't said anything on the thread yet?

Memes and Images

9 years ago

The very occasional and well placed small pic can indeed be funny and add to a thread when it fits exactly where it needs to, but spamming oversized and pointless pics everywhere should deff get the post removed and the poster get a warning.

I'm using this forum less and less because half the threads seem do devolve into a few members insulting each other or just spamming oversized pictures that aren't fully at eachother presumably because they can't think of anything intelligent or funny to post.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Agreed. I'm talking only about deleting large or obtrusive or annoying pictures.

I agree that the forums are becoming less and less inviting.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Agreed, they just look large and uninviting, plus they tend to push the thread over a bit.

You got my vote.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

Agreed. Definitely.

Memes and Images

9 years ago

I think this rule would be tricky. Ultimately, it'd just exist to stop trolls from trolling, but where would you draw the line? Sometimes non-trolly people occasionally use images/memes that are genuinely funny. Would they be banned from using images too? What if somebody had a legitimate reason for posting images, like a post saying, "I am an aspiring artist and this is a picture I drew for a friend on the site." Should they not be allowed to post images?

Most people wouldn't want that, but then if people who post occasional funny images or their own artwork are allowed, you get trolls going "How come they're allowed to post pictures and not me?" Then when you explain to the troll that people are only allowed to post images in moderation, and only if it's relevant to the thread, then you get a troll who's still posting images, but now adding explanations as to why the image is relevant, or starting new threads going "I'm an artist too and this is just a little scribble that I doodled today." ... With a picture of the Mona Lisa.

So to sum up... Can't we just ban trolls from trolling instead? cheeky

Memes and Images

9 years ago

We need to define trolling first. Mousepaw and Chiineseman have to go but dunno about others. Probably coins

Memes and Images

9 years ago

I'm talking about deleting large, obtrusive and annoying pictures primarily. If someone were to start a thread about their artwork and include a picture of it, I think that would be fine.

Additionally, if you're desperate to post a picture that you didn't draw, is there ever a reason that you can't post a link to it, instead?