Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Invigilate

9 years ago

JJ's forum game, the "Invigilate" has finally been scripted, and now it's out today! Here's a short description of this storygame:

"You live in the town of CYS, and today's the day of the tournament. If you prove yourself to be worthy, you will get to go against four of the most powerful commanders in the history of mankind! If you beat the top commander, you will win a great prize from JJ himself, the mayor of the town!"

Free free to check it out! http://chooseyourstory.com/story/invigilate-

Invigilate

9 years ago

I'm pretty impressed!

I've found a serious bug though! If you go back to play the same person a second time, the battlefield isn't reset.

Invigilate

9 years ago

What? Really? Which person did you played the first and second time? And what did the title of the battlefield said the first time, and what did the title of the battlefield said the second time? (It would be something like "B11" or the like.) Because I just tried to play myself, twice, and the battlefield did reset. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

I played you, then saved the game and restored it and played you again and it wasn't reset. Maybe saved games fuck with it?

Edit: Nope. While the battlefield clears, the total attack and defense of each lane doesn't when I played you twice in a row without saving between. Also, you played two Galleons in the first game in Sea Lane 2 and neither one ever showed up!

Invigilate

9 years ago

Alright. Total attack and defense fixed. Thanks for catching that! And I tried the galleon thing, and it did work. I think you might have missed it because the of the placement of the units. Not all units are place by themselves on the same line. Same units are next to another unit to save space, and how many of the units are shown by quantity. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

Maybe, but I don't think so.

I'd suggest having them on their own line, personally.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Then each lane would be a page long! Of empty spaces! 

Invigilate

9 years ago

I think there are ways around that, actually! There was some workaround posted in the advanced editor forum somewhere. I wouldn't stress over it too much, though.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Oh really? I didn't know. Would've definitely applied it if I did though. Do you know which one it's in? 

Invigilate

9 years ago

'I estimate that your chance of winning is about at...0.03 percent.' Killa says. 'But, nevertheless, I will play you.'

Totally sounds just like me, lol.

Invigilate

9 years ago

How do you finish it, by winning?

Invigilate

9 years ago

By beating Feanor. :)

Invigilate

9 years ago

Please feel free to do so and post a comment, (maybe a welcome to the challenge), so we know it's even possible haha!

Invigilate

9 years ago

I've beaten a few people but am yet to defeat my namesake...

Invigilate

9 years ago

See who gets there first haha!

Invigilate

9 years ago

I beat the first five by placing random units in a rotation: land lane 1 - land lane 2 - land lane 3 - land lane 4 - land lane 5 -land lane 1 - land lane 2 - etc.

I almost beat Galo the same way =P

Invigilate

9 years ago

I'm not as stupid as the others: that's why you didn't beat me.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Dang it nmelssx! I just beat the game, rated, and commented, and here you take it down so no one can see my win haha!  ^v^

Invigilate

9 years ago

It's up again. With my comment on it. ;P

Invigilate

9 years ago

PS, I'm leaning toward bumping my rating up by +1 once you re-publish, just because I think I under-rated you a little bit  :)

Invigilate

9 years ago

It started to get boring because I messed up the scripting where each lanes's attack and defense don't get wipe out each time. I wonder how you even beat it like that. I just fixed it, btw. 

Edit- Oh. You beat it because yours don't get wipe out either. My bad. ;P

Invigilate

9 years ago

XD

Invigilate

9 years ago

Hey Forge, you're a real bastard to beat in this game haha!

Invigilate

9 years ago

You beat the game! Show the world that you've beaten the game by posting the banner at the end of the game to your profile pages! XD

Invigilate

9 years ago

huh, banner? *Goes to play the game*

Invigilate

9 years ago
Fuck you and your difficult storygame. That was bullshit. There's no fucking way taco's admirals commanded a few caravels and a cog to destroy my two galleons with my admiral!

GG me, and well made game. I'll play it again and beat it after I go kill someone with my fury >:(

Invigilate

9 years ago

You got beaten by Taco? But she's so nice! >.<

Invigilate

9 years ago

Fuck you! >:( I attacked first! My damage should be counted first xD because I'm the player and therefore I am special!

Invigilate

9 years ago

Well, you only lost by 4 points! That's pretty good! How much health did you have while playing Taco? o.O

Invigilate

9 years ago

I appear to be unable to fight to highest ranking players even after winning five matches.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Who did you play against? 

Invigilate

9 years ago

The five people that I could play against. Killer, nme, quiller, james and taco I think they were.

Invigilate

9 years ago

You played each, once?

Invigilate

9 years ago

Aye, I played quill twice and nme twice though but I did win every game.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Who's the third one?

Invigilate

9 years ago

Third person? james I think.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Alright. I added the total wins, loses, and draws, on the screen page. Whenever you win, lose, or draws, you can see how much of each you did. You need five wins to play the four top commanders. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

Another bug, I went to play nmelssx for the second consecutive time and chose 'build a new deck' but it didn't clear the old deck so I was stuck.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Ah. Thanks! Fixed! 

Invigilate

9 years ago

Wow, that's pretty epic.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Did you beat yourself yet? xD

Invigilate

9 years ago

O.o

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Invigilate

9 years ago

I'm disappointed in you, BZ.

Invigilate

9 years ago

XD

Invigilate

9 years ago

I didn't mean it like that, BZ.

Invigilate

9 years ago

...I lost to myself. Goddammit, even in this game, I can't win. Or. Wait, did I? *head asplodes*

That being said, this is amazing, nmel. I'm going to waste my entire afternoon on this instead of drawing propaganda posters like a good little peon.

Invigilate

9 years ago

That's admittedly kind of hilarious.

Also, I'm jealous. Wish I existed in this game.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Found another bug but it's a little harder to explain:

So, I went 3-0 (twice against nmel and once against quiller) and then I went to play James. At this point, I'd bought the pieces that I thought it took to make the perfect deck and I'd upgraded my HP once.

When I click James and said I wanted to challenge him, there were two links:

Opponents Turn and Pick Deck (or the like)

I thought that was weird, but I click Pick Deck. I decided to go with my current deck, so I clicked Current Deck, but now it contained 75 pieces and it wasn't just all of my pieces multiplied by 3, either. In the deck, I should have had 2 charismatic generals but I had 4. Anyway, now I had 75 pieces in the deck and the page had no links on it too.

I went back two pages and just chose 'opponent's turn'. I figured this might be a work around. It let me start the game and James made two moves and then it brought me to my hand... which only contained 9 pieces. I knew this was a bug at this point, so I went back and just decided to make a new deck altogether. Only, now my collection consisted of 119 pieces (I'd bought 5 at most at this point).

Weird bug.

Invigilate

9 years ago

I can't believe this. I just went in to check the codes today, and on the main page, I went into the page script to put in some code to see if that would solve the problem. The page script was blank. After putting in the code and clicking save, I wonder to myself, "Didn't there use to be some codes on that page script before? Where did it gone? Maybe it was my imagination? Meh." So then I went around the other links to see if there might be anything else that might be causing the problem. When I open those links, sometimes they would blink for a second, showing me the codes I had, then it would just go blank. If I save it like that, all the codes disappear. So basically, I think some other errors might pop up because of the page script that was suppose to have some other codes in it, got saved, and replace by the codes I typed in today, and I can't do anything until the codes stop disappearing. I'm using internet explorer browser, but it's never happened before.  

Invigilate

9 years ago

That's really brutal! To the Bugs & Problems section.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Also, has the bug you found ever happened before? When you brought pieces? Do you have any idea how it was triggered? 

Invigilate

9 years ago

That was the first time I saw it. I don't know how it was triggered, but I provided enough context for you to find out, I think.

Invigilate

9 years ago

I'll find it.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Found the bug, and fixed. :) Thanks JJ! 

Invigilate

9 years ago

Whatever you did, the game can now be completely played through and beaten, although it turns out that if you keep playing despite the magically self-replicating deck, the numbers just keep climbing. By the time I reached Feanor, I had 719 units in my deck, though I could still only pick 25 for my army.

Also, the banner is missing from the last page when you finally beat Feanor, which made me sad :'(

Invigilate

9 years ago

Fixed! Wow you really beat Feanor? How much health did you have when you beat Feanor? 

Invigilate

9 years ago
*coug-cheating-cough*

Invigilate

9 years ago

Nah. It's impossible to cheat in this game.

You can increase your health, but you must also spend CC on it, which means you must win against other players first. Which means, if you can't win against other players, it'll take you forever to increase your health. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

I spammed all of my CC on health, haha. So I had 160 health going in.

Invigilate

9 years ago

How much health did you have when you defeated Feanor? xD, and how much did Feanor have?

Invigilate

9 years ago

I had 17 health left, and I think Feanor was at -22.

Since the the enemy AI seems to be random, the changes to the rules makes it so that if you spam calvary units and go all out attack and generals, you can usually outdamage them, as long as you stay alive long enough.

I don't know if it's possible, but you might want to code it so that spear units will prefer lanes with calvary in them?

Invigilate

9 years ago

I was going to script it so it make the enemy have a bit of a tactic, but that was going to take another two weeks, and I had another project going on, so I thought "Well, what else can I do that can increase the difficulty of the game, while at the same time decrease my workload?", so I came up with just increasing the opponent's health. xD

Invigilate

9 years ago

Which was brilliant. I thought the difficulty was well adjusted. I actually ended up getting stuck on Feanor and had to go back to beat myself up a couple more times just to earn more CC to buy enough health.

...speaking of which, the dialogue was absolutely hilarious and very much in character for everyone XD

Invigilate

9 years ago

You know what? I might script a little tactic into the game anyhow. Had a few people complained about how the game was too easy because their opponent plays randomly, with zero tactics, and how they could beat the weaker opponents by placing random pieces down on the lanes. Rethinking it now, as opposing to thinking about it back then, I guess it won't take another two weeks after all, to script a little tactic into the game. 

Invigilate

9 years ago
HA HA HA! "Impossible to cheat" xD

Invigilate

9 years ago

...What? xD 

Did you find a bug that you exploited or something? Because if you did, you should tell me so I can fix it. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

Dammit my save got wiped, back to the start I go

Invigilate

9 years ago

Sorry, JJ found a bug, and I had to fix it. :(

Invigilate

9 years ago

Ok I beat it but there was a bug, no matter how many lanes it told me there was, there were always loads of land and sea lanes.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Are you sure? It lists 5 lanes for each type in the board, but you only have the option to play in certain ones.

Invigilate

9 years ago

One game it said 1 sea lane but my opponent played in 3 diff sea lanes.  Ow I'm doubting myself. I say wait to see if anyone else found that or if it's all in my head

Invigilate

9 years ago

You mean at the end of the match, when it tells you whether it was a win, lost, or draw? Yeah, it shows 5 lanes for each even if there was less. I guess it's a bit confusing, huh? Okay. I changed it so that if the lanes didn't exist in the game, it would say something like "Ignore this lane", at the front of the nonexistent lane. Fixed. :) 

Invigilate

9 years ago

Update-

Some people complained that "Invigilate" was too easy to beat, because their opponents played in a random, and tactless way, so I rescript it to make it so that the opponents has some logic, and tactics when playing the matches. 

1. Opponents will avoid putting their cavalry units on lanes where you stationed spear units. 

2. Opponents will avoid putting their charismatic units on random lanes where there is no other units.

3. Opponents will hone in on lanes where you have light cavalry units, with their spear units, but they will leave your heavy cavalry units alone. 

This means you will no longer be able to defeat your opponents with around the same health as you by placing random units around the lanes. Now you actually have to think before playing units. Good luck! :D

Invigilate

9 years ago

Feanor's gonna be an absolute BITCH to kill this time...

Invigilate

9 years ago

Yup. xD

Invigilate

9 years ago

Well, halfway through before I go to sleep.

Just gotta say, aside from the excellent scripting (though sometimes it seems like the math gets funky) and how it kinda gets to a slog, Cavalry is the way to go in this game. 5 attack and 4 defense is a very strong piece when it's cheap and both get added up.

Invigilate

9 years ago

It's nice to have a few changes from our normal commander games. Kinda like exploring a 'what-if' scenario.

Although, to be honest, I'm not quite sure why calvary aren't more prevalent in our current matches, given how cost efficient they are and give that the current metagame doesn't seem to favor spears as much as I thought. Maybe I'll try taking a bunch with me into the next match and see what happens.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Yeah, cavalry is really underused.

Invigilate

9 years ago

" sometimes it seems like the math gets funky"

Ah, I see what you mean. Fixed! :D 

What happened was that when you clicked calculate damage, it takes in the effect of the pieces that have effects and adds the total attack, and defense of that lane, but when you click back to go back to the battle, it forget to subtract the total attack, and defense of that lane back to what it was, so that the next time you click calculate damage, it recalculate the total attack, and defense, but thanks to you, now it's fixed! Thanks, Tan! Nice catch. xD

Invigilate

9 years ago

GODDAMMIT NOW I HAVE TO REPLAY IT FROM THE BEGINNING

Invigilate

9 years ago
Don't you just LOVE it when a game isn't finished and keeps being updated while your still playing it? ;D

Invigilate

9 years ago

This is the last time I'm going to be updating it - I promise. That is, unless someone else finds some other bug that needs fixing! xD

Invigilate

9 years ago
"Ooh this game must be so easy."

<-- That's annoying. Galleons aren't A:10 D:10 when played in battle, they're A:5 D:10 (or A:10 D:5 I can't remember).

Invigilate

9 years ago

Your thinking of Galleys which are different

Invigilate

9 years ago
BS. There's nothing listed as a Galley in the catalogue.

Explain that.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Yes there is xD

Galleon  1AQ  Sea  10  10  24  60  No  1
Galley 1AR Sea 10 5 21 10 No 1

Invigilate

9 years ago
Bullshit! There's no where that says anything about a galley!

Invigilate

9 years ago

In the real commander game there is a galley.

Invigilate

9 years ago
-.- This isn't the real commander game. It's Invigilate.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Either way galleons are A:10 D:10

Invigilate

9 years ago
Not in Invigilate apparently! So no, Galleons ARE NOT CURRENTLY "either way 10/10"

Invigilate

9 years ago

Galleons are 10/5 in Invigilate. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

The god of this game hath spoken. So mote it be!

Invigilate

9 years ago

Galleys are A:10 D5, galleons are A:10 D:10

Invigilate

9 years ago

From my failed box below, Galleons are infact a 10/10.

Madbrad (135 CC) ID Lane Attack Defense
Galleon 1AQ Sea 10 10

Invigilate

9 years ago

So, um, I found another bug.... I think.....

1) The only pieces that are showing up on my command post thing is the one that I last played, while it shows all the pieces the opponent has played.

2) I have negative gold.

This is me vs you, first game.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Can you clarify number 1? What do you mean "The one that I last played"?

And which piece did you play prior to having negative gold? 

Invigilate

9 years ago

I played a galleon and a long ship, only the long ship showed up. Next I played another longship and a cog, only the cog showed up and there was nothing else.

I played a few other pieces and I ended up with -3 gold I think it was another cog and an admiral. That's when I stopped and reported it as an error.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Which sea lane did you played the galleon on? And was it just one galleon? 

Invigilate

9 years ago

One galleon, sea lane 1.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Invigilate

9 years ago

It's showing up? ;O

Invigilate

9 years ago

It didn't for me.

Invigilate

9 years ago

I need more specifics, otherwise I don't know what to look for. If it works for me, and it didn't work for you, and we both took the same steps, then there is no way to even begin looking for why it happened.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Maybe it's just the computer. It's really old and the ctrl button doesn't even work on it anymore.

Invigilate

9 years ago

What was the total land lanes, and sea lanes you had?

Invigilate

9 years ago

Five land, four sea.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Have to go back 50 times for it to give me a 5 land, and 4 sea lane. But it also did showed up on that one, so I'm stumped.

Invigilate

9 years ago

I don't know what to say. I'm stumped too.

Invigilate

9 years ago

I think you should take this game down again and make it even less challenging (or finishable somehow in other ways). Only me and Forge have finished it so far and to me that's a problem. It means that everyone else feels that it is 'un-beatable', which is not fare for the rest of the site.

Invigilate

9 years ago

I'd play it, but the moment I get close to beating it Nme has to take it down for bugs and errors. No way am I going through that again. XD

Invigilate

9 years ago

How long did it take you to beat it? 

Invigilate

9 years ago

It has taken me 40 Min. to get three wins, and that's with no real strategy. Just with putting everything in a single lane with an admiral and a general. No losses yet.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Yeah. I guess your opponent keep putting random defensive pieces on lanes with no attack pieces, huh? Yeah, I didn't include that equation in the last time I made it so that your opponent doesn't play randomly. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

I haven't really been paying attention to what my opponent puts down. I was just seeing how fast I could beat this thing. This time I had 14 health while the game version of you had -66. I only had one health bonus thing too. I don't think the problem is have it too dificult, I think the problem is having it take too long to finish so people get bored and quit. I think it's amazing though.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Huh. I just played a very first match against Invigilate!Nmelssx, with 5 land lanes and 1 sea lane. On their last turn of round one, my opponent Set on their first turn and played a longship on their second, bringing their total gold to -14

Invigilate

9 years ago

Hmm.... Maybe something is wrong with the five land, one sea lane set up. I ended up getting -5 gold on that one.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Yeah. It does that sometimes. That came up sometimes after I made it so that it doesn't play randomly, but with all these saves in it, I hesitate to take it off again to fix them. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

Notice:

Berka requested that I take the game down and make it easier to finish. At first I hesitate to do so since there were a bunch of saves, but after being out there for a week or so, and seeing that no one has finish it yet, I guess it was a little bit too hard. So today I went in and made it easier to beat by decreasing all the healths of your opponents. It should be much easier to beat now. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

It wasn't hard to beat, it just took a long time.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Well, now neither should be the case. 

Invigilate

9 years ago
The ratings haven't changed, and I still can't beat it. I thoroughly believe you're a liar that let berka and feanor pass with some sort of scripting wizardry - I bet there isn't even an accessible end game link in the whole game! I disapprove!

Edit:: Upon further checking, you didn't change health stats at all e-e it doesn't look like you changed anything...

@nmelssx

Invigilate

9 years ago
LIES!!! YOU DAMN LIAR!

Invigilate

9 years ago
Obviously not... e-e I still can't make progress - I keep getting killed by Galo or Aman. Feanor is a zarking beast.

Invigilate

9 years ago

xD...I didn't see your last 2 posts for some reason. No, I did change the health. Significantly. Feanor's health actually went down by 80...

Invigilate

9 years ago
I can tell they haven't been changed significantly! I can't even see a difference at all :D good job not making a significant change after saying you were going to make a significant change!

Invigilate

9 years ago

They did. The second opponent's health got decrease by 10. The third by 20. Fourth by 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and up to 90, which is Feanor. 

Invigilate

9 years ago
I would like them all to have a health of 1.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Why?

Invigilate

9 years ago
So I can rate the game and get on with my life.

Invigilate

9 years ago

...Why are you so obsessed with rating it? -.-

Invigilate

9 years ago
So I can get on with my life. Do you not see my glowing top-rater trophy? I do not want Invigilate to be the game that holds me back to 99.9%

Invigilate

9 years ago

Well, it's going to if you don't have the skills to beat it. xD

Invigilate

9 years ago

Sort of the point of it being on the Site haha!

BTW - why not add an End Game Link Option that appears after 5 Wins, like you have the top opponents set? That way, it will give a person enough time in it to appreciate the game, but also an out if the rest of the game proves too difficult to finish.

Invigilate

9 years ago

Yeah, sure, why not. 

Invigilate

9 years ago
*bitter-sweetness intensifies*

Invigilate

9 years ago

Done. 

Invigilate

9 years ago

God fucking dammit