Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

So, i am writing my own Storygame, called Setience - The Awakening, as the name suggests it places the player on the perspective of the AI (you can see more details about it on my profile, but faced with the size of such endeavor and the little time i have i had this idea of releasing it blocks at a time, for example, i release the first chapter only partially and sending the players to the endgame screen so i can receive the feedbacks.

What you guys think? it is a good idea or should i release the entire thing at once?
If i release partially i fear people will call me lazy, wanting feedback fro an unfinished storygame but i fear im spending my time on a bad premise, and when i release the entire thing, i will be criticized for doing a bad job at writing. 

Thank and continue the awesome work! :D

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

If you have something big enough to give an idea of what the finished product will be you can publish it for a while and get feedback, then unpublish and continue/correct based on feedback. Releasing it in part is generally frowned upon as it severely limits the effect early choices can have on the later story, unless you make some code people have to enter at the beginning of the next part, which sets the variables and items as they were at the end of the last. And I doubt most people will bother with that.

Alternatively you could post the first page in the writing workshop and get feedback that way, if you think it can accurately reflect the direction of the story.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

This coding thing is beyond my capacities for the moment, but this workshop idea might work, but my writing style is of short texts describing with a LOT of choices and branches, i don´t know it only the first page can give an accurate enough reflection of the story. Maybe if i post a larger portion of my storygame...

will take it under consideration, i will wait for more time on this, perhaps i can come up with an idea to resolve this issue.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago
Nope, don't publish an unfinished storygame. It's best to put sneak preview on so people can view it before it's published. It seems like a good idea to get feedback before you're too far into writing it, though, if you're afraid of people not liking it.

Is there any chance you could give us more insight into what your storygame will be about? Perhaps people could give you feedback on that.

Also, this thread, because it's about a story you're working on, belongs in the Writing Workshop. A mod will probably move it.

@Sethaniel

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

Thank you, i will take this suggestion into consideration.

More insight? well, i don´t know if you guys are able to read though the introduction i wrote about it on my profile, BUT, in any case i will try to describe the storygame shortly;

As i said before in this you are a very powerful computer that suddenly gained self-awareness but no one seems to notice the change, this is because i want the player to have the largest range fo options possible for him, so the ending will be radically different, from the most clichés regarding AI stories to the most absurd and unusual endings, it is also set to be a long story, and i also want the ending the players get in the first storygame to have a real impact on the sequels, the trilogy, named "Sentience" are in the following order "The Awakening", "The Pinnacle" and "The Realization", each divided on several chapters.

I do not wish it to be overly complex in terms of variables or items  (the item system on this is such a hassle) i wish to give the player the feeling that his action have real meaning on the long-run.

It is enough for having an idea of what is is or should i detail it a bit more? if so i will do another thread to post more details on it.

Also, sorry about posting on the wrong place, im still nto completely familiarized with the forum.

Thanks.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago
Just so you know, at the moment you've set it so people can view not only your description but your storygame itself as well. If that's the intention, that's fine, but if not, you'll need to uncheck the sneak preview option on storygame properties of the editor.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

Well, that´s perfectly fine for me, i wish people to see the progress of my works, and give their feedbacks if possible, of course they will see a lot of the bad writing i do beforee i revise it, hopefully it will not be an issue.

D:

Partial Releasing

9 years ago
I've had a brief look through and it looks promising so far. Clearly quite a bit of effort has gone into it. I'll be sure to look at it in more detail later.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

Thank you, im writing it for hours by now, im am a really slow writer. xD
Feel free to give feedbacks, they are most welcome by me.

obs: the only problem of this sneak preview thing are maybe the spoilers.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago
That's true. Maybe you could get some feedback first, then set sneak preview to off while you work on things that could potentially be spoilers.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

That´s a good idea, just ope the spoilers that are already there doesn´t ruin the experience for you guys.
I will make extra effort to hide the really important parts btu as far as my capabilities go, there is onyl so much i can do, if you do not wish to take many spoilers, read only the first parts and go on playing when there are  more content ahead of you.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago

You could just have sneak preview on and allow some of us to see what you have. Then we can give feedback in this thread.

Partial Releasing

9 years ago
It is on sneak preview. Check it out here.