Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Is, simply put, amazing. A flawless representation of a dark period of human history. If you haven't read this, I insist you read it. 

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

I enjoyed it, though it has been some time since I have read it. It was required reading for my English class my junior year of high school.

A mixed race friend hated it because it used the n word too much. According to her, the book did not have to use that word to get its point across.

Unlike her, I saw that it was a way of representing that time period properly. If it used more currently socially acceptable terms then I doubt it would have nearly as much of an impact on readers. Plus it would probably lose accuracy. Also since socially acceptable terms change over time, no matter what term the author wrote for that it would eventually be outdated and more likely than not a slur or something society views as as a taboo word.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Your friend obviously didn't get the point. It was a very common word at the time, and the book didn't glorify it or encourage it's use. 

If she REALLY wanted to complain, why doesn't she go complain about rap songs, instead of hating classic literature? 

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

How do you know she doesn't? xD

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Because she picked something as trivial as language, called the book racist, and didn't realize it is quite the opposite. The story's author was pro Civil Rights, and quite obviously not racist.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

"If she REALLY wanted to complain, why doesn't she go complain about rap songs, instead of hating classic literature? " - I was referring ot this.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Ahhh. Fair enough. I don't know she doesn't. I was just pointing out that there are many artists who use the word an unfortunate amount, and a lot more than Harper Lee did. 

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

The friend in question loves rap music and even tried to get me to like it by randomly handing me ear phones and telling me to listen to the lyrics. According to her, I don't understand the lyrics, which is why I don't like them. Some of the songs of course used that word multiple times. Yet that was not racist at all according to her. 

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NWordPrivileges

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

It was funny when a guy thought Mr. Ewell was the symbollic mockingbird.  XD

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Heh. That IS funny. 

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo45o69HaKI

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Channel seems to be blank, nothing on it.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Why?

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Every book has to be taken in context. Every idea, in fact, has to be taken in its own historical context. Look at some required reading such as Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn. Nearly anything by Hemingway. Melville. Or really anything from the early to mid 20th century and you will find N-bombs as well as what was considered correct language at the time: negroes, colored, and finally black. 

Obviously, it would be inappropriate now, and the correct term is African-American, but no one is going to go start revising great literature. In 50 years, African-American may be considered a hateful, racist term for reasons we cannot yet conceive.

Everyone is a product of their own tiny bubble in space time, and only the brightest can see outside.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

It's an awesome book. One of my favorite pieces of classic literature... Kind of wonder why there isn't a more recent movie adaptation... Oh well. They'd probably fuck it up anyway. cheeky

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

They would indeed. I can see it now... 

MICHAEL BAY'S: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Oh gawd. I am going to have nightmares tonight. 

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Hahah, you guys are funny. I agree totally. Remember the Psycho remake? That was disturbing in a non-disturbing way.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

xD ... That sounds hilarious. >_> Or painfully awful. I dunno.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Oh, I adore that book. I also adore Atticus Finch. He's high up on the list of literature husbands, right around Howl and Pasha Budkovsky.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Honestly, I began reading, but it didn't say anything about the characters and I couldn't follow. I guess I gave up on it. Sowwy, Chubacabra---I mean Capybara 

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

It probably would have been lost on you.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

The sequel comes out In a few months.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

I don't think it's a sequel.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

It isn't a sequel. It's a supposed "lost manuscript" of Harper Lee's.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Yeah, but it's about adult Scout returning home 20 years after the stuff that happened in TKaM. 

Supposedly, this is the book she turned in first to the agent, and they said the flashback stuff to when Scout was a kid was more interesting, and Harper should just write the book about that.

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

Awh, that sounds interesting! ^_^

To Kill a Mockingbird

9 years ago

I really want to read that book now, for the fifth time.

To Kill a Mockingbird

8 years ago

I think I put Atticus Finch on my Literary Husbands checklist.

Yep.

To Kill a Mockingbird

8 years ago

He wouldn't be a bad choice.

To Kill a Mockingbird

8 years ago

What actually happened is that Harper Lee submitted the script we're about to see. The editor said that no one would probably like that, and would she alter it a bit and make Scout young. So she did, and that's the book we all read in HS.

This new book is some sort of altered reality of her original writing and more.

Harper is so funny when she describes how bamboozled she is, to this day, that anyone gives a shit. I love that woman.

To Kill a Mockingbird

8 years ago

It's highly overrated, in my honest opinion.

To Kill a Mockingbird

8 years ago

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

To Kill a Mockingbird

6 years ago

Personally I feel it is an amazing book although the start did not catch my attention. The way it was ended bothered me though. I was left to wonder what happened to each character after things ended. The trial had me on edge at one point and I found my self submerged within the book. I wish there had been some form of continuation to tell how the town it's self would progress.

To Kill a Mockingbird

6 years ago

The term necroing gets thrown around a lot, but after two years, maybe leave a thread alone.

To Kill a Mockingbird

6 years ago

Just got bored last night and decided to look around didn't realize how old this actually was

To Kill a Mockingbird

6 years ago

I'm not sure how such a lack of attention to detail is possible, but I suppose that could be considered its own special little feat in a way. 

To Kill a Mockingbird

6 years ago

*Scrolls through reading corner*

*Misses that it clearly says the last post was from two years ago*

*Looks at thread, which clearly says every post was from two years ago*

*Replies, not noticing the thread is two years old*

To Kill a Mockingbird

6 years ago

Lel. I tried to warn her about checking the times. T_T Actually, tbh, I usually don't look at the times until after i post.

To Kill a Mockingbird

6 years ago
Eh, the Reading Corner's about as dead as it gets anyhow, what's another dusty skeleton or two.