Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Hey guys I'm new here been reading some stories before joining the site the most impressive story I have read is eternal really amazing. I'm trying to write my own story now why? Because I have nothing to do I don't have my laptop I'm writing on a iPhone and will still. Be the same for 2 months don't ask why.

anyway the story is about dragon ball z set in a parallel universe and set 1000 after the end of the dbz I have already written 40 pages or so and the mechanics of the game have been created. 

My problem is that I feel my writing is dull maybe it has something to do with English not being my native language. 

So does anyone have any advice? 

Hey guys

9 years ago

Welcome to the site, enjoy your stay!

Best thing to do, would be to try and improve your English, but simply asking someone to proofread (Go through it) and point out spelling mistakes will be a great help.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Hello and welcome to CYS. My name is James Coker. If you need any help, feel free to pm me.

As far as your writing, I'd say that you co-author someone to edit your storygame for style and flow.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Welcome to the site!

As for advice... I always take a look at some of my favorite books before starting a writing project and see how they handle dialogue, action, etc. 

Getting someone to proof read is very important as well.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Welcome :)

Hey guys

9 years ago

Thank you all , I'm now looking at other stories like you guys suggested.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Welcome to CYS!

If you'd be more comfortable, try writing in your native language and then using Google Translate.  There are numerous members here that would be willing to help you.  Here is a thread devoted to it.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Google translate... That is a BAD SITE! Idioms (bits of text that cannot be directly translated to, or that have a completely different meaning in another language) are a big problem with google translate, other ideas would be much better. PS, I'm writing this from personal experience.

Hey guys

9 years ago

I think I misunderstood mikle15, the writing isn't dull.  I thought when I originally read it that they meant that writing in English was dull.  xD

Hey guys

9 years ago

Welcome to the site!

Wow, forty pages in slightly over a week is an impressive writing speed. As far as I can tell from your post and what you have finished from your game so far, your English isn't a problem - there are native English speakers on this site that publish games much, much worse than yours in terms of grammar, spelling, and coherency.

Like everyone else said, getting a proofreader/coauthor is your best bet - there's a thread for people who've offered to do editing and play-testing here. You can also request your storygame to be reviewed here.

Alternatively, just make a thread in the 'Writing Workshop' forum asking for help.

Hope enjoy your time on this site and make a great storygame while you're here!

Hey guys

9 years ago

Well hello good sir! Welcome to the Writer's haven! I hope you like it here, and forty pages in a week is nothing. My speed is super fast at an amazing 40 pages a year or two. ;D Have fun and welcome buddy.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Umm...you replied to Quiller, not the OP.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Don't worry, he's been derping like a Pomeranian.  ._.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Pomeranians don't derp; they yip.

Hey guys

9 years ago

They're almost as bad as chihuahuas.  Dam ankle-biters!

Hey guys

9 years ago

Just so you guys know, never put peanut butter on your finger and then let a pomeranian lick it off. Those back teeth may look dull, but they're meant to crush bone.

Hey guys

9 years ago

Finger?  We know what you really mean.  xD

Hey guys

9 years ago

Yeah...I mean my finger. I was too lazy to get a spoon, so I just stuck a (freshly washed) finger into a jar of pb. Worst. Mistake. Ever.