Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Exercises: Week Five

9 years ago

Everyone is welcome to join in, doing as many or as few of the exercises as they'd like -- however, I will be keeping score and declaring a winner for each month, for those who are feeling competitive! ;)

This thread will include exercises for Monday 9/15 to Friday 9/19.

9 years ago

Monday, September 15, 2014:

Write five first sentences.

Use at least one of the following themes: Deadline. Distraction. Indecision. Delay. ;P

Bonus: Expand one of your sentences into a scene.

9 years ago

@Danaos @NightBirdBlue @betaband @31TeV @Briar_Rose @ISentinelPenguinI @TaraGil @the_quiller @jamescoker1226 @LostConnection @Kiel_Farren @Cynical @ItAintPretty @Swiftstryker @TacocaT @Romulus @coins @Malkalack @Virtualide @Morgan_R @Fireplay @nmelssx @mek7

9 years ago

You know you have to cut one of the wires and in the back of your head, a sing-songy voice--not unlike your friend's--tells you 'the blue wire, the blue wire,' except now, one problem is preventing you from choosing: they're ALL BLUE WIRES!

You contemplate the contents of your novel, knowing that your editor is waiting on you, but you've been distracted lately--distracted by thoughts of how you're probably going to be killed if you really do choose to publish this story.  

'Bang' went the barrel of the sawed-off shotgun right beside Jeremy's head, forcing him to re-consider the full pros and cons of attempting to escape the cabin again.

'But he's only a boy...' was all she could think as the cougars began to circle his trembling form, ready to pounce and rip him to shreds if she continued to stand by and watch.

Lynn tapped her fingers impatiently on the keyboard as she waited for David to give some kind of signal that he was safe, only to be startled by the sudden buzz of her doorbell--should she really get up to answer, knowing it could be... them?   

9 years ago

1. Alexandria found it harder to decide each passing day : embrace her daddy issues, or embrace the punk rebel with other issues?

2. Tick...tock...tick...tock...TICK...TOCK...tick...TOCKTOCKTOCKTOCKTOCKTO-

3. Stupid<--(note stupid) rabbit, tricks are for kids!

4. "No, miss *snap* I need you to answer my question.  About the...god, do I have to get rid of a glass of water just for you?"

5. (This one has nothing to do with the themes) The Lotus : a flower born in the muddy filth, barely staying above what lurks beneath.  In time, as refinery grows, it achieves true inner integrity.  As its flowers bloom, only then can one decide the innocence of each lotus; the white are among the most delicate of hearts; the pink are the ones who have spilt blood to keep themselves alive.  Tenno, you have no choice in the matter.  I have seen blood soaked into your skin the first day I had lain my eyes on you.

9 years ago

To think, after an entire hgh school career of being the object of the two girls' affection and rivalry, the freckled redhead was finally going to choose one to be his steady sweetheart, the fool!

You can imagine my dismay when I went to the airport hours early with barely anything in my stomach, only to find that my flight would be delayed for yet another hour, thanks to the out-of-control weather-control machine I helped design.

Now, you see, son, your teacher tells you to never be late or miss assignments for the sake of your future, but in the real world, a whole lot of people miss their deadlines and delays always happen.

For a while now, all I had for company in my small, single-person dormitory was me, a blank document, and the irritating tapping I kept making with a pencil.

If she thought for a second that winking while sticking her tongue at me was cute, then she was absolutely right.

Bonus:

You can imagine my dismay when I went to the airport hours early with barely anything in my stomach, only to find that my flight would be delayed for yet another hour, thanks to the out-of-control weather-control machine I helped design. It was a thing of beauty, a monstrosity of unmatched size and power. Conceived by the greatest of minds, its birth was was only hindered by the limitations of feeble human strength. I recalled my impatience during its construction and the demands I made to further along the project. More machinery and stronger workers, I insisted. My own colleagues thought me as a petulant child but heeded my requests and still did not think less of me. And yet, the the delays still came. Perhaps my mind simply worked too fast for the rest of the world. The image of it was clear in my head, I was not disappointed when it was first unveiled. In hindsight, it is quite funny how something riddled with delays in its development would now plague the rest of the world with delays such as this. Ah, such is life.

9 years ago

1. "Come on... Come on... The f*cking light is f*cking green, I haven't got all day!"

2. At 6:00 AM in the morning, Daryll was once more faced with an impossible dilemma: a scone or a donut?

3. Jenna felt like tiny wooly sheep were jumping around in her skull, no matter how hard she focused on the screen in front of her, she couldn't read a word on it.

4. "Just 250 words in five minutes... No problem, I'll make it... There, just 249 left"

5. Charlie tried to fight back the tears that were welling up behind his eyes. "You know, we had a great time together, but our time is up now."

9 years ago

Beep
The swan song of the alarm went off again, disturbing the young man's sleep. He woke up, a spew of saliva emerging from his gaping maw. He sat bolt upright. 

Beep.

It came again, reminding him that he had something to do... but what was it?

Beep.

Now it  was incessant. A whining, bitching keening in the back of his ear, dominating his senses. 

"Ugh." He choked out, sitting up from the pile of covers he called a bed. He hadn't made it in almost a month. It was then, that this lad realized he had to face the bane of any high school student: an exam. He hopped out, frantically pulling his pants on as he stumbled out the door. 

He hopped down the stairs, avoiding tripping on the half-on, half-off pants. He arrived in his family room, doing up his fly enough  to face his little sister. He hugged her, and bolted out the door, snatching up a bagel on the way out. 

In his haste, he had forotten to disable his alarm. 

9 years ago

1. He typed furiously-praying his fingers were fast enough-his eyes darting back and forth from his screen to his watch.

2. With a huff, she looked back at her smoking vehicle and at the looming emptiness ahead.

3. His finger's drummed on the steering wheel, hoping the action would somehow encourage the semi-truck ahead of him to inch ever closer to his exit. 

4. She glanced towards her partner, but merely saw his inscrutable expression.

5. Write a quality sentence, or a poor sentence? Hmmm...

Bonus:

With a huff, she looked back at her smoking vehicle and then at the looming emptiness ahead. "Stay or go..." she muttered to herself. All of those survival shows she'd watched had told her to stay with her vehicle if she became stranded, though it didn't seem likely anyone would find her here. Plus, there was that nagging sense of curiosity.

She checked her satchel: plenty of snacks and water. Though she didn't have a map of the area, she did have a compass. 

She titled her head back and forth as she inwardly weighed the pros and cons of leaving versus staying put. 

One of my New Years' resolutions was to be more adventurous. She thought to herself with a chuckle.

"Oh, why not!" She called into the air, triumphantly, as she reached her decision. 

She slung her satchel securely over her shoulder, gave herself a reassuring nod, and ventured forward. 

9 years ago

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Choose one of the following tropes to use in a scene:

Terse Talker -- Character talks in shorthand. Often avoids "being" verbs or sentence subjects. Often due to keeping journal. Makes character more distinctive/memorable.

Emotion Bomb -- Not every psychic is strong enough for outright Mind Control. Instead, they may force a particular feeling upon their victim with the Emotion Bomb.

Alien Sky -- You've used the Time Travel machine on "random", "borrowed" the professor's rocket ship, or walked through the strange glowy doorway. OK, everything seems normal, but for some reason you can't get your bearings. When you look up... it's an Alien Sky.

Institutional Apparel -- There are a handful of outfits used to identify when a character has been placed in some manner of corrective institution, such as a mental hospital or prison.

Sickeningly Sweethearts -- Some marriages are painful, others are dead, a few are happy, and then there are those which are... cute.

Bonus: Use three or more of the tropes in your scene.

9 years ago

@Danaos @NightBirdBlue @betaband @31TeV @Briar_Rose @ISentinelPenguinI @TaraGil @the_quiller @jamescoker1226 @LostConnection @Kiel_Farren @Cynical @ItAintPretty @Swiftstryker @TacocaT @Romulus @coins @Malkalack @Virtualide @Morgan_R @Fireplay @nmelssx @mek7

9 years ago

@Morgan_R I know you're tagging me to piss me off, I swear I made an entire thread to tell people not to waste their time.  XD

Chosen Tropes :

• Terse Talker (I haven't done this in 5EVER)
  • Alien Sky
  • Institutional Apparel
  • Sickeningly Sweethearts

Ahem.  Time to get writing.

~~~

"All vital signs normal.  Irregularities negligible."

Vitae was back to her apathetic self again.  I think I may have gotten a little too used to her bubbly old self in the other world, but I was warned.

Okay...well, despite being in a "Normal" condition (as Vitae had determined), I couldn't see much.  Suppose I might've travelled to the wrong coordinates at the wrong time...then what?

*tip.*

That's one foot forward.

*tip, tip.*

Two steps...

*tip...tip..tip..*

Every step I took was every step closer to identifying where I was.  My hearing, besides the grey jumpsuit I had stolen from the Lab, was acute enough to give me a brief inventory of all my surroundings.  So far, I was walking on a flat stone floor to somewhere deeper, or higher.

And then I saw it.

It was a brief glimmer of light, just a dancing shaft that disappeared just as soon as it reappeared.

I still couldn't hear wind, though.

*tip...tip....tip...*

As I moved directly under the shafts, I craned my neck up to see what this was...and what I found was...surprising to say the least.  I didn't take any gill augs, so...

...why was the sky, still oh-so blue, shimmering and pulsing like the ocean?  I felt no water resistance...in fact, all there was was a slight breeze.

"Vitae, can you tell me why the sky is distorting like waves?"

"Taking sample.  Sample taken.  Sample identified.  Equivalent to gaseous compound found in previous world.  Wind currents above carry gasses lighter than compound, hence creating an "ocean" to breathe in.  Asphyxiation possible in higher elevations."

Well then...

"Are we in the right time and place?"

"Negatory.  16 hours before designated time.  Three miles away from destination."

...we were going to have a long walk.

"Vitae, have I ever told I am very fond of you?"

"At current version, no."

"I am very, very, very fond of you."

"Repetition identified as emphasis."

9 years ago

This is a fun one! :) Would you like to guess which three tropes I used? 

Bonus

The bald monk's eyes shot open, abruptly ending his morning meditation. He slowly stood up, his sepia-colored robes trailing on the rocky ground. 

Negative energy...enemies. Three of them...he calculated, using his mental abilities. 

Sensing they had been discovered, three hooded figures dressed in black robes stepped out from their various hiding places. "You know why we've come." A male voice emits from the hooded figure to his left. "You deserve what's coming to you." A female voice on the right makes itself known. The hooded figure directly in front of the monk remains silent. 

I must even these odds...The monk thinks to himself. He gets an idea about two of his assumed assailants. He closes his eyes, concentrating on a particularly strong emotion: love. He visualizes the emotion's varied effect, from the earnest wanting of lust to the gripping elation of admiration...The monk his arms outward, one to his left and one to his right, concentrating further, letting his mental energy build and culminate. 

The monk the syllable to release his mental energy. He smirks as he realized his intuition was correct, as he hears the spell's effect beginning to work.

The assassin on the right suddenly begins giggling. The assassin on the left tip toes around the monk toward her male partner, scoops him up, and showers him with pecks on what the monk can only presume to be his cheeks (he can't see in the hood, you know). "My darling, it's been so long since I've been able to show you affection!" the fighter-turned-lover proclaims. The man continues giggling. "I never knew you felt so passionately!" he breathes between his snorting laughter. "No more waiting, will you marry me?" The woman asks. "A thousand times YES" the man cries with glee. The pair run off into the woods in search of a chapel. 

The monk's grin fades as he directs his attention toward the man in front of him. "I never thought I would see you again..."

"Thought wrong." The man replies. 

"You know I never meant to hurt your family, but you left me no choice." The monk attempts to explain.

"Enough." The final assassin replies. 

"You don't think I think about them? See them in my nightmares? They're why I came here, so that you would never be reminded of the pain! That wasn't enough for you?" The monk cries exasperatedly. 

"Won't be enough 'till you're dead." The man growls.

The monk is about the say more, but the man holds his hand up, signaling there would be no more words. With a grimace, the monk prepared his fists for the ensuing battle. 

The pair rushed at one another, determined only one would survive, and lengthy skirmish began.

9 years ago

Nobody was all that surprised when Mind Man had a psychological meltdown. In the eyes of his superheroic peers, he was the poster boy of instability and a walking time bomb. Granted, his heart was in the right place, but he was still a risk. The entire community even gave their support when he announced his retirement to get himself help after his public meltdown. What nobody expected was the second breakdown he’d have afterwards.

They called the heavy hitters first, hoping their extraordinary abilities would be more than a match, but they all went down one way or another. Apparently, something or someone augmented his abilities. One-by-one the strongest of the active heroes fell. The reserves had to be called in but not before they made one last appeal to his humanity. That was why the current heroes against him this round consisted of a team of two. They were from a classic team, long retired and happy, all things considered. Most importantly, Particle Woman and Sir Miracle were the last living members of Mind Man’s first team and the longest and closest friends he’s ever had.

When the confronted him, he was in New York City. The sky had twisted into unnatural, sickly colors, possibly reflecting the illness within his mind. Lamp posts were twisted like gnarled trees. Buildings leaned unnaturally. Not a single building was perndicular to the ground. The roads led to nowhere and everywhere. Cars were driving up buildings, moved up into looped roads all over the city skyline and then some. Little by little, reality was slowly breaking down. They found him in the single spot seemingly untouched by the chaos - he was standing on top of a single apartment building, one he used to call home.

“Mind Man!” Particle Woman called out to him. “We’re here to talk to you.”

“Know.” Mind Man replied. The nature of his powers always made verbal communication difficult. Particle Woman suspected his condition only made it worse. The helmet he usually wore to protect the world from his mind was shattered, with the remains still clinging to his head. He was thin and sickly. The restraining uniform of the institution remained on him. It limited movement in his arms but allowed him to walk freely. Despite this, he didn't make a single move.

“Now see here, I know you can read minds, so you should know very well that is out exactly out intention.” Sir Miracle said.

“I-”Mind Man struggled with the words, careful to construct the words not in his mind but with his mouth. Each syllable sounded like agony. “-know.”

Sir Miracle took the first steps to him. He made no move to touch him or get too close. The last time he was like this, even the slightest bit of extraneous stimulation could break him.

“Come on, buddy.” Sir Miracle said. “Let’s get you out of here. We can get you away from here. Somewhere peaceful. Somewhere secluded. A quiet, safe place.”

For the first time in a long time, Mind Man seemed to relax. They didn’t call him Sir Miracle for nothing.

“Always-liked-you.” Mind Man’s words were disconnected and off but coherent. “Good-kind-hero. Deserve-happy-” A twitch. “-Deserve-love.”

That was all Sir Miracle remembered of the confrontation before he found himself deep in a sea of his own memories and feelings dredged up from years ago. Feeling of him and Particle Woman and all the love that they never dared to share with each other. In the end, it was Particle Woman who broke them both out of it. The building collapsed and plummeted to the ground from the strength of her powers, but they ended up safe and wrapped in each other’s arms, telling each other sweet and loving things they never wanted to tell the other. It was both wrong and right and odd, but strangely liberating. It would be something they would eventually talk and follow up on, but they had a former comrade to think about.
Only when they truly broke out the trance did they look to survey the remains of the long-evacuated building. Try as they could, there was no trace of Mind Man in the city that day.

9 years ago

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Worldbuilding/Description:

What do your characters eat, on a typical day? On a special occasion?

Bonus: Write a description-heavy scene involving food.

9 years ago

@Danaos @NightBirdBlue @betaband @31TeV @Briar_Rose @ISentinelPenguinI @TaraGil @the_quiller @jamescoker1226 @LostConnection @Kiel_Farren @Cynical @ItAintPretty @TacocaT @Romulus @coins @Malkalack @Virtualide @Morgan_R @Fireplay @nmelssx @mek7

(Happy now, Swift? 9_9)

9 years ago

(I decided to play a little more with the Atlantis stuff from Week One.)

So, the characters in the Atlantis story eat a standard Atlantean diet. While there are naturally different cuisine traditions depending on the region, there are basic standards to underwater diets for Atlanteans. Food generally must be consumed as fresh as possible and as local as possible. Food is difficult to truly cook and preserve underwater, so most preparation must be done as soon as possible before the food goes bad. The rare exception to this rule is Rap, who innovated technology to preserve their imported food. Rumor has it that they are trying to pioneer technology that would collect and compress tiny lifeforms like krill and smaller forms of plankton into forms that would make Atlanteans able to consume it easier. Many who hear of this rumor are concerned at what it would do to the ecosystem.

Vegetarians are unheard of. Most food is carnivorous in nature and consists of the local wildlife with some fauna for those that have edible ones locally in their region. As such, the usual diet consists of fish and crustaceans and other animal meat, depending on the region. Almost nobody eats creatures as large as whales, orcas, dolphins, or larger sharks. Most meat come from a smaller variety of animals. A popular universal non-staple food will always be seaweed snacks, normally freshly collected seaweed prepared with some type of flavoring. Sad as it is, most food on special occasions are just food from their regular diet but flavored.

Bonus

“Oh, Adonis, these are so yummy!” Rhea squealed with delight after consuming the first of quite a few skewers of food in front of her and Adonis.

It was a popular form of serving food nowadays, chunks of meat placed on a clean stick for easy consumption. They were most popular among the youth. Unsurprisingly, this was what Rhea and Adonis were having on their first date after they met on (Atlantean) Independence Day.

Rhea picked up her second skewer while Adonis was already working on his third. They ordered four different types of meats. She bit into one of her favorites, mussels, and and enjoyed its juicy and chewy texture. It was one of the few things that Rap had fresh in their environment, but it still remained a delight to eat. Once she was done with the mussels, she went for the other shelled animal the could be found in Rap, the snail. It was chewy, like the snail, but it was far more bitter than she was used to but still edible. According to Adonis, the snails just were more bitter in Rap. She would have to remind herself not to eat any more snails for the rest of their vacation. Then she moved on to the fish. Mackerel and swordfish were both popular foods both above water and underwater, but both were imports and needed to go through some type of preservation process. She tried the swordfish first, having already eaten on the first skewer she had. It was nothing too special. While not as flavorful as it usually was when fresh, it was still good and safe to it. Finally, she bit into the mackerel, unsure what to expect, having found none in her first skewer. A flood of tastes entered her mouth full of far too much flavor and a strong, sour taste she was not used to. It took quite some willpower to get herself to swallow it before turning to Adonis with an exasperated expression.

“What in the name did I just taste?!” She exclaimed.

If Adonis had any sympathy, he showed her none. Instead, he tried his best to hold back his growing smile and amusement but failed miserably. All he said in response was one word:

“Vinegar.”

9 years ago

Thursday, September 19, 2014

Write a correspondence between two characters -- letters, e-mail, whatever you'd like, as long as it isn't real-time.

Bonus: Write a second correspondence that happens after the first, and after the characters have had some significant interaction in person.

9 years ago

L : Hey!

T : Heyo!

L : How's it been?  I heard you got engaged with J.   Sorry I wasn't there to give you my regards, but congrats anyways.  ;D

T : You knew?  O.o

L : Yeah.  Why?

T : That was kinda...private.  Who told you?

L : ...

T : J?

L : Yes.

T : ...

L : ._.

T : That was supposed to be secret.

L : Well...you know...us women.

T : Can't ever keep secrets among yourselves, can you?

L : Not really.  Besides, isn't she only 17?

T : And I'm 16 and three quarters.

L : You can't expect EVERYONE to be like you.

T : But this one's important!  And you know how it's like over here.  I didn't want to go public and open.  Especially not with her around.  :<

L : ?

T : Remember Mom?

L : What about her?

T : She's not dead yet, actually.

L : What?

T : Some necromancer idiot decided to...wait, are you still in hiding?

L : No.

T : Then go.  I'm cutting off this side.

L : WAIT.

T : What?

L : Rendevous?

T : I'm coming to get you. Just hang tight and hunker down somewhere before she finds you.  And now.

~~~

9 years ago

Friday, September 19, 2014

Write a death scene for a character. If it's an existing character, it doesn't have to be canonical -- consider it an alternate universe where they die, for whatever reason.

Bonus: Write at least two deaths for the same character. (Old-school CYOA, anyone? XD)

9 years ago

9 years ago

You tagged yourself?  xD

Ahem.  Time to get writing...

~~~

They all knew it.  She knew it.

I simply couldn't last long without some actual air, as much as she tried to breathe into me what little bubbles her gills could produce.  I had swallowed gallons of the underwater brine, the salty liquid they thrived on...the concoction of my impending death.

Every day, the waters lower in their level; it hurts to even look up now.  Her family was trying the best they could to keep me alive...but...

...well, who am I, but just a boy?  She...no, they, the people of the water, were doing everything they could for me.  I could see the elders skinny as a stick, and yet, here I was...my plump body only getting more swollen by the day.

Keeping my mouth shut becomes harder by the minute.  My lungs scream for something fresh.

I know their pleas will never be answered.

9 years ago

Aerien - Chapter I - Legend Path

*spoilers*

You don't even have time to blink before you're blindsided by a rib-shattering blow that breaks through your defensive spell like it's not even there.

The Archlord's claws rip through your torso and close around your heart. Your body spasms involuntarily against the sharp claws as he slowly twists his hand, churning through your flesh and bone with a sickeningly wet sound. The pain makes it impossible to even breathe, much less scream.

A chilling smile spreads across the Archlord's face. With a cruel twist of his wrist, he wrenches your heart out of your chest.

9 years ago
These death scenes are for the protagonist of an upcoming storygame. It's still in the pre-writing stage so I may or may not use similar death scenes in the storygame itself. And yes, I'm being deliberately vague about certain things because they could be spoilers.

Death Scene 1

Your maddened blow drives into the side of his face, metal breaking bone, smashing his head into the stone wall. In an instant the world around you is clear and right again - you find yourself back out in the open night air. His head barely connects with the wall before you dive at him, hand outstretched to grasp him. Fully expecting to seize him by the throat, you're caught off guard when you clutch at thin air. To your front you see only your shadow cast by the moonlight, its unmoving stance reflecting your momentary confusion and hesitance on the temple surface.

You are startled by a voice calling from the darkness. "Behind y-" is all it manages to say before you turn around and swing your fist, only to miss once again. You feel a hand gently grip your shoulder and an icy tingle runs down your spine. You realise you are trembling, sweat dripping from all over your body. You can't move.

"Your so called companion cannot save you, mortal. You never escaped from the shadows," he taunts you, whispering into you ear. You catch the sickening scent of blood on his breath. Everything starts to contort again and your stomach lurches as your surroundings turn to silhouettes, the moonlight fading to a dark grey. You don't know what's up or down, left or right. You can't even tell yourself apart from the shadows that envelop you. Panicked bewilderment sets in. His deep inhuman voice now emanates from inside your very being, ringing in your mind. "What you saw earlier was indeed an illusion. But I will not leave it at that. Your friends will die."

With those words you feel a surge of energy rising in your soul. Channelling it into your mind, you cast the shadows out once more. Your senses return to you and you look around for him but to no avail. "Why won't you fight me? Damn you!" As if in answer to your question, you immediately feel immense pain on your arm. To your horror you see that your arm is gone, blood dripping out of your severed forearm. You cry out in agony and fall to the ground.

Somehow this creature has bitten its way through your metal gauntlets, yet you didn't even see him do it. As you lie helplessly, he comes to you, grinning psychotically. "You will make a fine sacrifice."

Over a course of days, you're eaten alive little by little, limb by limb, until you are finally killed by having your throat torn out. But before he does so, your tormentor makes it very clear that your friends will suffer the same fate as you.

Death Scene 2

Your back hits the dry cracked ground, almost pushing you into unconsciousness. The beast you were fighting falls dangerously close to you with a colossal thud, dead, almost taking you to the afterlife with it. Sprawled on the desert floor you take a moment to catch your breath, but you know you must get up again, and soon.

Panting, you slowly rise, heaving yourself up on your blood-soaked gauntlets. You're so weak now and you want nothing more than to take off the heavy metal from your arms and just sleep, but that cannot be so. Not until everybody is safe. Any sign of weakness now would spell doom for you all. You glare threateningly at the onlooking beasts which tower above you like mountains, their huge frames looming taller than any other creature could. Yet they are afraid; afraid of this puny human who, in this exhausted state, could be effortlessly stomped on like a bug. These gargantuan monsters cower at the sight of such a tiny being, with broken bones and bleeding profusely, all because it slew their leader. For what feels like an eternity you stand, surrounded, releasing menacing energy from your body and projecting it at your enemies. Eventually they yield, burrowing their way through the ground and disappearing.

You wake up to find yourself lying down, and you see some hazy figures above you. You must have been taken to the pod for medical treatment. It's too late, though. Someone's sobbing by your side. June? Your vision's fading and you can't tell. You open your mouth but no words escape. All you can do is smile. You can't convey to them everything you want to, but through your one action you can tell them that you're happy, that you had a good life thanks to them, that you don't regret what you did. That you're glad about the new member of the team, that you think they'll be fine without you, that you're sure they'll succeed in achieving your goal. You wink at them one last time.

Then blackness.

9 years ago

(This is the death of my After Dark protagonist.)

Rip. 

I saw it tear my arm off, with a strange feeling of detachment. Gore spews from the wound, as my vital fluids leak out. I stagger to the ground. The Skulker above me seems to laugh, slamming be down to the thick concrete with it's hoof, hard enough to crack the concrete. 

Crack.

It applies pressure, standing on me with considerable  weight. Now, my ribs start to break and buckle. I feel like screaming as they shatter, but my lungs are too damaged. I draw a painful breath, as it's foot goes through my stomach in an explosion of guts. 

Then, I see  only darkness.... 

(It really sucks screwing up in my stories) 

I hear the crack of gunfire, and a second later, red holes open up in my chest. I feel the searing pain of a thousand suns, as my lifeblood pours out of me. I want to live, so badly. Like a child, I try to cover up the injuries, trying to wish them away. 

They never go away. I fall face-down in the snow, my viscera surrounding me. I feel a buildup of rage, as my killer approaches my corpse, pressing the barrel of a rifle against my cheek. 

Then, all was dark... 

9 years ago

This started as a song beginning, then a poem, then a storygame description for when I finished werewolves an magic, and now it's here. Kinda funny how some things change purposes so fast. Anyway, here it is, a day late though.

The Heavens thunder and the fires roar

Waves crash upon the shore

When the ground quake, the people shake

And the people fall forevermore

Only a breeze makes the people freeze in this hell storm

A woman, left behind, left for dead, cries out

"Please," sobbing she continues, "please save his life."

They don't see her.

They don't hear her.

They don't notice her, even when they trip on her and fall on their faces in their frenzied panic to escape the endless burning.

She huddles over the boy crying pitifully in the cradle protectively.

Bodies litter the ground, and her hope fades fast with each one that falls. 

She holds on to life as long as possible, but she cannot make it. With one last rasping breath, she wispers in the boys ear one last thing before closing her eyes for the last time. "I'm sorry" she says. She surrenders to the darkness willingly, yet regretfully.

Willing to forget the pain, to forget the strife life brings, and surround herself with the comfort this darkness brings. Yet regretful that she could not help the boy that was barely a year old. 

Finally her heart stops and she lays limp on the boy destined to save or break the world. 

9 years ago

Maybe a bit late, but here goes:

Ending one:

September 19th, 2014

To me, life has always been a path of choices, an interlocking web of near infinite possibilities. But now I realize that that isn't entirely true. Yes, life is a journey with endless paths, but they eventually all converge into one final one. And now, as I am about to tread upon this last path, as I embark upon my final journey, I look back at the way behind me. I can see the forks in the road, see the people I've traveled with, the places it took me. People always say that you shouldn't die with regrets, but I think that's fundamentally impossible given all the choices we made in life. However, looking back, I don't think I leave many regrets behind...

Ending two:

"I... I don't know what happened. One second she was talking to me... Some stupid joke I think, and the next moment she was... she was just lying there, on the street... God!"

As Marta's words start being drowned out by the gathering flood of tears, the nurse tenderly takes her hand. "It's alright Miss Gray, take a deep breath and try to relax. Would you like me to leave you alone for a while?"

*Sob* "She's dying, isn't she?"

"... We are trying our best to make her comfortable."

"But she is dying!"

"Yes... Miss Gray you do know that she has been for a long time now, don't you? She has been fighting this for many years, longer than most people I've seen to be honest. I think that she has known for some time now that this was inevitable. I... I'm sorry, this still must be a very hard time for you."

"I... I... I... Don't know what to do."

"I know that this is hard, but I think it would be best if you could stay with your friend, if you are okay with that. She doesn't have many relatives left, and I think that it would be... easier on her if she was in the company of a friend in the... in the..."

"End?"

And so Marta, while fighting back tears, stayed. After tears had been shed, hugs had been given, goodbyes had been said and lad words had been spoken, her friend slowly and softly went to sleep for the last time.