Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 12/12/2016: Brought up and rejected many times. Go play a flash game if you're looking for a timed experience!

Think fast!

9 years ago

You know, I love CYS as much as the next guy, but I find the storygames to be lacking something. Surprise. What if, in an advanced storygame, you would have to make timed, quick decisions such as,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man runs at you with a knife, and you only have a few seconds to react!

You would get a second or two (A few links would appear, and if you didn't click fast enough, you would get a bit of a negative, OR positive scenario) 

Anyone think this could possibly happen?

Think fast!

9 years ago

Not even enough time to save the game and force me to start a little while back?

No, I'd prefer 'quick-time' events to die out thanks. Also on a guess from what I know about CYS scripting this would be hard to create.

Think fast!

9 years ago

Sort of what I was suggesting. 

Think fast!

9 years ago

In this medium, I don't think real time events were meant to work with storygames. You can make surprises, but it would better better utilized when done through solid storytelling and not done in the nature of a jump scare. There are probably better mediums and engines that could handle this type of thing much better.

Think fast!

9 years ago

No.

Because no.

Think fast!

9 years ago

Some people aren't able to read as fast as others, so I'd say no.

Think fast!

9 years ago

-facepalm. 

Think fast!

9 years ago

I actually would like this!  Maybe set the minimum time to like five seconds or you could make the time minimum vary depending on the size of the page.

And this would be useful to make games more tense.  For example:  Where you would have only a few seconds to say something to a character, and if you didn't, it sent you to a page that the author had set up.

This would surely help with the game I'm making!

Think fast!

9 years ago

Okay, I don't like the idea. It would make story-games even more difficult to play on mobile devices. I think that puzzles should have a time element, but this element should be based on the number of links clicked, not real time. If we were to implement a real-time system, though, I think it should apply to certain sections of the game, rather than single pages. Like, suppose you have twenty pages where the character is in a labyrinth. You could apply a timer, starting on the first page of the labyrinth that would automatically stop once you got to the last page of the labyrinth (or one of them, if there are multiple start or end paths). If you don't make it to the last page before the timer hits 0, you are directed to a death page on the next link (or automatically taken to the death page). That is honestly the only scenario I could see in which such a system would be useful.

Think fast!

9 years ago

That's how most 'timed' stories work, they focus on letting the player use their time up on their own instead of forcing it on them.

Think fast!

9 years ago

Actually, I was talking about the possibility of applying "real time" to a section of the game, not variables that decrease with the click of a link.

Think fast!

9 years ago

So if you weren't quick enough to pick the right choice in a sex scene your penis hits her eye instead?

Think fast!

9 years ago

I'd play it.

Think fast!

9 years ago

What are you talking about, Master? 

Think fast!

9 years ago

Funnily enough, I called a story "ocular rape" recently. Kind of reminds me of that simile...